News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Surface Pro 4 with BOINC

Started by OscarPollack, March 05, 2017, 11:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OscarPollack

Hi everyone,
I recently got a new computer and was wondering if it is worthwhile to use BOINC on it.
I know it does not have much processing power, and it also needs to be able to last the day with regular use which it currently struggles to do.
any thoughts on whether doing this is a good idea?
Thanks.

Dataman

Greetings! Happy to see your post.  :welbor:
Certainly give your surface pro a try, it should do just fine. Your can easily configure BOINC to run only during your off hours if you chose. If you have questions, some one here will be happy to answer them.
Every bit helps the cause. We all contribute at our own levels. It can get addicting though.  :wink
What projects interest you?
Again ... welcome to  :oz:

Dingo

Just having a quick look on Amazon and there seems to be a lot of different processors (CPU) in those but they all can handle BOINC.  I have it running on an old laptop that I purchased in 2013 and it does not do a lot of work but plods along.  I mainly use it for POGS as that project does not run too hot.

Give it a try and as Dataman said it can be tweaked in the "Computing Preferences" to run when the system is not busy or at certain times of the day etc.  I can't see you under the name 28810 as a member of the Team but if you do try BOINC please consider joining BOINC@AUSTRALIA in the "My Accounts" page of the project you choose.  Once you have joined the Team you can register on the forum and post in the "Members Only" section.

Happy crunching and remember  :rocks

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

OscarPollack

Any projects interest me really.
I did quite a few on my old computer, and now cannot remember what they were.
I would also not be seen as a member because I changed my username a while ago.
I also forgot what the AA projects were for this time. What where they again?

Dingo

We didn't have an AA this time round we have a Challenge on at "Citizen Science Grid" http://csgrid.org/csg/ on BoincStats https://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/882.  The work units are very long and my laptop was no good for them.  It took over 72 hours for one task so I am crunching POGS on it.

:yes  I see you have joined the Team on "Citizen Science Grid: so register for the forum and I will approve you.   

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

OscarPollack

I am also having some problems with getting it to run overnight. when I leave the computer with the keyboard open for a bit, it just stops and says that it is because pc is not active
Whenever I shut the lid and leave it overnight, it turns off and runs nothing.
How can I fix this problem?

MAGPIE

Quote from: 28810 on March 07, 2017, 09:50:04 PM
I am also having some problems with getting it to run overnight. when I leave the computer with the keyboard open for a bit, it just stops and says that it is because pc is not active
Whenever I shut the lid and leave it overnight, it turns off and runs nothing.
How can I fix this problem?

Probably right click windows symbol bottom left corner desktop and open power options.

Or alternatively go to control panel and select power options, as either works.

Here you can choose when computer sleeps, etc. etc. :BigGrin

OscarPollack

I've done that, but it still does not compute (haha)
maybe it is just the computer, will have to do some digging.

MAGPIE

Quote from: 28810 on March 07, 2017, 11:24:53 PM
I've done that, but it still does not compute (haha)
maybe it is just the computer, will have to do some digging.

Are you sure that this will not work, if you set to "never"..??

My notebook used to do the same thing until I set to never, and disabled the settings for closing the lid

Basically change everything to "Never" or "Do Nothing" and see what happens

Realise you may have done this, but it should work if you follow both links

The second link is talking about hibernate when closing lid, but you will also see the do nothing option as an alternative

If you change your mind later just alter settings again, as notebook will go full steam always....I have it like that and just turn off totally when not needed

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft-surface-rt-sleep-power-options/
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-force-surface-hibernate

Hope this helps mate, and hope it works :thumbsup: