News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

The clowns on the hunt

Started by clownius, April 19, 2009, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clownius

I decided to be sporting and turn my computer off last night..... OK it crashed and i still cant find the problem *sigh*.  I do know restarting a WU after a pause (for example to play a game) is a very dangerous thing that often crashes everything.....  I also ended up with random failures this morning trying to boot up after i gave up last night.  Then it just decided to work without any reason....... I hate Vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tixx

get rid of vista. go oldschool xp or win7

win7 will scream on ur box!!

Wang Solutions

Quote from: Scott T on April 22, 2009, 12:56:35 AM
Single 8800GT here, so no real threat to anyone :jester:

How do you get it to complete the work before deadline? I tried my 8800GT on GPU Grid but it barely got halfway through a work unit before deadline! Mind you mine is only 256MB - perhaps yours is 512MB?

Scott

Quote from: Wang Solutions on April 22, 2009, 06:06:30 PMHow do you get it to complete the work before deadline? I tried my 8800GT on GPU Grid but it barely got halfway through a work unit before deadline! Mind you mine is only 256MB - perhaps yours is 512MB?

Yes - 512MB (or at least that's what BOINC says it is).  Usually get one or two WU's done per day  :cool:

http://www.gpugrid.net/results.php?hostid=28308

Rob

I have a 8600GT with 512MB Ram which takes about 2 days to finish a wu & I've never had one go past deadline ???

Wang Solutions

It looks like 512MB is fine but 256MB is not up to the job.  :thumbdown:

clownius

XP is sadly no longer an option as i dont have a 64 bit copy. Win7 well im currently beta alpha testing Vista for M$ ill be danged if i test a pre-alpha Win7 for them too lol.  IF i wanted unfinished products id use an Alpha Linux.  In fact when i was using Kubuntu 9.04 alpha it was much more stable than Vista is lol.

Edit: I just went a little silly and overclocked the #### out of my GTX 295's.  Either i will now move considerably faster or crash and error a lot.  Ill have fun finding out

clownius

Finally managed to sneak past Dingo today but WS is leading a very firm chase i may be settling for number 2 here.

Wang Solutions

I am glad I have a bit of a lead over you as you are racing up awfully fast with those 295s.  :shock

clownius

I think i just hit the wall.  Fans now running at 70% full time to maintain overclock.......  considering 75% min fan speed.  Must move computer into bigger case i lost 16+ hours today due to a crash last not and not getting things working again till now.  Airflow restricted is one last reason i can think my computer crashes, wont restart and then is fine the next day.

Edit: Good news after boosting the fans to run at ear shattering levels im now stable crunching 24/7 until it crashes again so im pulling the big numbers im gonna need to chase down WS.

clownius

OK WS there is seriously nothing in the chase atm.  Just how many computers do you have crunching and whats your secret?  For someone who claims you only have low end cards your pulling 60k a day.  Thats basically what im pulling with a pair of GTX 295's and a GTX 280.  Is it that Linux or 'doze or something gets better credits?

Wang Solutions

I have four 9800GT cards, one 9500GT and what I thought was an 8800GT 256MB which could not complete WUs before deadline, but have since discovered it is only an 8500GT, but with the longer deadlines available now I think I can JUST get it to complete a WU before the 5 day deadline.

I also had an old video card fail, so after picking up your gauntlet I replaced it with a GTX285 - at least $400 cheaper than a GTX295, and completes 5 WUs per day.  biggrin  :yahoo:

Furlozza

:rofl:

*picking up gauntlet and backing off ............... FAST!!!!!!!!!!!*

:rofl:

clownius

Wow thats a nice little cattle station you have going there.  Excellent idea on the GTX 285 those things haul.  Im currently getting around 4 tasks a day per core depending on the WU. Some of the new ones push 8 hours compared to my normal 6 hours each.  Those anyone else have any experience comparing this but my GTX280 seems to be faster than my GTX295's even though the 295's are running a higher clock Im thinking this is either a bandwidth issue (4 cards vs 1) or a Linux is quicker thing.  What does everyone think?

Edit: Oh the chase is really on now too i moved into second by total credit so now its a good old fashion chase.  I wonder if i can fit a GPU into my toaster here lol. I need the credits.

veebee

I have finally gotten my 9600 and 9500 to work with Boinc, AND achieved proper screen resolution, with the help of Mike047.

I have posted the "full instructions" in another thread in this section.

So now, I have a GTS250, an GT9600 and a GT 9500 on the team. No where near your firepower Clownius, but it'll do me.

A big thanks to Mike ! and +1 of course !