BOINC@AUSTRALIA FORUM

Active BOINC projects => VAN DER WEARDEN NUMBERS => Topic started by: Daniel on March 20, 2015, 09:18:57 PM

Title: Project Update
Post by: Daniel on March 20, 2015, 09:18:57 PM
The project now has a new URL ...

http://www.123numbers.org/ (http://www.123numbers.org/)


Also, BOINC@Australia has a new badge "Top 25% in average credit".
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Daniel on March 23, 2015, 11:21:27 PM
Van Der Waerden Numbers has now been added to the BOINC Stats webpage.

BOINC@AUSTRALIA is currently in 11th position.

We have 4 participants.

Dingo is leading our team, followed by kashi, myself and Anon.
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: kashi on March 24, 2015, 06:51:28 AM
Unfortunately I've just had to detach from Van Der Waerden Numbers.

Each incremental update to the application version has been using more memory.

Version 300.00 is now using 959 MB per task which is more than my computer can handle.

Could limit it to 1 or 2 tasks but feel more involved in a project if I can go hard. So I'll go home.:pcwhack:
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Dingo on March 24, 2015, 11:25:09 AM
Thanks for the info Kashi.   :congrats :congrats

 I have been busy with the new dedicated server trying to move my web page and photos over to the new machine.  I have stopped getting work and aborted all the non running 300 series work.
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Daniel on March 24, 2015, 12:56:12 PM
My 2 newest computers both have a fair bit of RAM.
At the moment my overall memory usage is around 30% with the v300.00 workunits, so I'll stick with it for a while.
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: kashi on March 24, 2015, 08:35:27 PM
Good to see you are having no problems and can keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Newer computers help and they are faster too. I should really get one but keep spending on other things, especially my dentist who seems determined to bankrupt me. :jester:

My computer is 6 years old now and 1 of the 3 sticks of Corsair ram was faulty. Because it was a super dooper matched set had to send the whole 3 stick kit overseas for RMA which would have left me with no ram so never bothered.

So only 4GB of ram for me instead of the 6GB it should be. Still manages OK on most projects except a few high memory ones. Other than occasional dust clean outs it's been on BOINC non-stop for the whole 6 years. With the aid of multiple graphics cards it's crunched over 400 million BOINC credits so a fair whack. Would have done a lot more except big power bills put the kybosh on intensive GPU crunching a few years ago.
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Daniel on March 25, 2015, 07:09:09 AM
400 million credits from one computer is very impressive !
That's about double what I've achieved in many years of crunching.
 :congrats
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Daniel on September 08, 2015, 10:22:51 AM
Some news from Daniel Monroe at the Van Der Waerden Numbers project ...

The vdwnumbers.org BOINC project is running again. Version 31 uses half as much RAM (1 gigabyte for primes around 250 million). This seems to have fixed the computational errors that prevented you from getting credit, which I know was frustrating. I apologize that I did not respond to messages over the Summer. I hope you will consider giving the project another chance. We are now proving lower bounds for Van Der Waerden Numbers using primes above 250 million, compared with primes up to 10 million used for previous records. Happy crunching!

Daniel Monroe
Takoma Park Middle School
vdwnumbers.org Project Administrator
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Daniel on October 30, 2016, 11:09:05 AM
Some more news from Daniel Monroe at the Van Der Waerden Numbers project ...

Quote
Sorry for my recent inactivity. A paper has been posted on arxiv for this project at https://arxiv.org/abs/1603.03301, and has been submitted for publication. I would like to thank all the volunteers who contributed their resources to this project. The project will no longer generate new work, but will incorporate any results received.
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Dingo on October 30, 2016, 11:25:17 AM
Another project closing, thanks for the info Daniel.
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Dataman on October 31, 2016, 12:58:16 AM
Another one bites the dust.  :angry: Thanks for the info Daniel. +1
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Daniel on February 03, 2021, 03:44:58 PM
This project has started up again.  :thumbsup:

Quote
Today (2/2/2021) we have re-launched the project following acceptance for publication of a paper on our previous phase (see arxiv (https://arxiv.org/abs/1603.03301)). Our research objectives in phase 2 are to focus on the two-color case, for which we have found several improvements in memory and compute efficiency. The last iteration of the project found 12 new bounds, and the current one should find about 5. Strange properties in our best primes have caused us to save the results for each prime (in short, the best primes p seem to be such that p-1 has few factors).

The project url is ...
http://vdwnumbers.org/ (http://vdwnumbers.org/)
Title: Re: Project Update
Post by: Dingo on February 03, 2021, 07:27:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up Daniel.  v: I have moved the board from "Retired" back to Active projects.