News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, July 02, 2018, 10:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Just to update on the work that I downloaded.  I downloaded one each on Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux where the estimated time is 13 Days to finish.  The work units have trickle down credit and ran overnight and sometime today they were returned to the server.  They have also been deleted from the database as they cannot be seen but I got credit for both.

http://dhep.ga/boinc/team_members.php?teamid=48&offset=0&sort_by=expavg_credit

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Aaargh Java! Attempted to run project but it locked up my computer completely. A little Java window opened called MISEXsomething.Monica and mouse would not respond. First thought mouse battery was flat, but changed multiple times and still frozen. Eventually managed to move mouse slightly but movement was so delayed computer was totally unusable. Shut down computer and received message that MISEXblabla.Monica.exe was preventing shutdown. The name made me think I had a virus.

Have aborted all tasks and detached with extreme prejudice, may give it another go if they fix the extreme Java lag.

Can't understand how they could release something that bad even in beta. The horror, the horror. :pcwhack:

Dingo

Yes I get those windows opening but I just close them.  I have a 64 bit machine with 32 Gig of memory and I do not have a problem.  Looking in Task manager in Windows 10 each task is using 112 - 115 Mb of memory and I have five running at the moment without a problem.  NFS is the real memory hog using 670 Mg of memory each Task.

Only reason I am running five running is they downloaded overnight and had run for over eight hours when I saw them.

EDIT:  I just dumped my tasks as well.  I had to reboot my Machine and they started processing from the start again according to Boinc Manager.  I had a look in the stderr.txt and it showed that it started over again.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

kashi

I was only running a single task. It ran OK for about 12 minutes but after another 6 downloaded BOINC switched it to "Waiting to Run" and ran an NFS task instead. It obviously didn't take kindly to being usurped in this manner and the Java process continued running and started acting up ornery and consumed all the computer's resources. Result = total unrecoverable lag.

Dataman

:worship to those who have actually completed a wu on this project.  :bravo

I gave it a try and the use of Java, constant Java pop-up windows and 15 day run times make it un-crunchable for me. It does not crunch well with other projects so it looks like it has to run exclusively.  :thumbdown: I aborted mine and then had to remove the project from BOINC to stop the Java processes.  :compbash:

Terms like "better than human technologies" give me alarming dystopian visions of "ex machina" anyway!   :shock  :panic:

I am going to pass on this one in its current "alpha" state.

:greet

Daniel

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to keep running the project for a while.
I'm only running 1 or 2 tasks at a time, while also running NFS@Home.
It doesn't seem to be causing any trouble on my machines and I am getting credit for the work it does.

I've been reading the project message boards and found out a few things ...

1) It's OK to close the popup window. The admin says ...

QuoteHello, just for the record.
The GUI is not required for the client to run. You can safely close these (just close the Windows not any icon representing the Java process).
Actually we weren't expecting them to show up as it was my understanding that a special flag/executable name was required to have GUIs within BOINC.
We'll consider adding some kind of option to switch this on/off in future, but will focus on getting the basics running now.

2) Regarding how long a task should run, the admin says ...

QuoteThis is undefined.
Roughly between two and four weeks.
If you want a more precise answer the task will run as long as the goal being evolved (http://www.dhep.ga/statsgoal.php) remains the same.
When the goal changes the task will end and the next task will retrieve the new goal from the server.

3) Regarding restarting computer or restarting BOINC client or losing internet connection, the admin says ...

QuoteA Genetic Algorithm will work optimally if islands are stable over a long period of time however your islands population is saved on the server every 15 minutes and will be resumed when you reconnect.
Similarly progress related to credits (how many circuits were evaluated) are reported every 15 mintues.
If for any reason you didn't have internet for a whole day this isn't a big issue either as progress will be reported (and you will be credited for all work done) once a reconnection is established.

Dataman

Quote from: Daniel on July 04, 2018, 03:35:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to keep running the project for a while.
I'm only running 1 or 2 tasks at a time, while also running NFS@Home.
It doesn't seem to be causing any trouble on my machines and I am getting credit for the work it does.

I've been reading the project message boards and found out a few things ...

1) It's OK to close the popup window. The admin says ...

QuoteHello, just for the record.
The GUI is not required for the client to run. You can safely close these (just close the Windows not any icon representing the Java process).
Actually we weren't expecting them to show up as it was my understanding that a special flag/executable name was required to have GUIs within BOINC.
We'll consider adding some kind of option to switch this on/off in future, but will focus on getting the basics running now.

2) Regarding how long a task should run, the admin says ...

QuoteThis is undefined.
Roughly between two and four weeks.
If you want a more precise answer the task will run as long as the goal being evolved (http://www.dhep.ga/statsgoal.php) remains the same.
When the goal changes the task will end and the next task will retrieve the new goal from the server.

3) Regarding restarting computer or restarting BOINC client or losing internet connection, the admin says ...

QuoteA Genetic Algorithm will work optimally if islands are stable over a long period of time however your islands population is saved on the server every 15 minutes and will be resumed when you reconnect.
Similarly progress related to credits (how many circuits were evaluated) are reported every 15 mintues.
If for any reason you didn't have internet for a whole day this isn't a big issue either as progress will be reported (and you will be credited for all work done) once a reconnection is established.

Thanks Daniel that is good info. +1  :thumbsup: I was running with GxG CPU and it did not work. This could be because of the short wu's (<4 min) of GxG and it being in a more or less constant upload/download condition plus the lag caused by the Java applet. My mouse response slows down quite a bit or stops altogether. Credits are not being reported yet to BOINCStats but Dr Who Fan notified Willy and reported, "My observations so far on the project:

1) Run the project at your own risk as it is barely out of ALFA testing. Things can break and/or change without notice.
2) Project is still in the VERY EARLY BETA TESTING STAGE with a few annoying problems that need to be worked out.
3) Project is NOT exporting stats, but is granting (very high) BOINC credits on it's web site.
4) Tasks run "forever" and will be running in EDF (Earliest Deadline First) aka "PANIC MODE".
5) Tasks take up a full thread running a Java based applet that needs a window open to do its calculations. You can minimize the open windows but if you close the window, the task crashes and ends.
6) The Java applet can make some computers sluggish to respond to mouse click and/or keystrokes.
7) Active task(s) send a trickle-up message every 15 minutes to the project server."

I am going to run it exclusively on an 8 thread (Linux) machine with GPU's idle and limit it to 2 threads and see what happens. I am not real keen on multi-week projects which are not cruncher friendly and unstable.
:bloodshot

Addendum: Eureka! I got my first trickle-up credit running as described above. Interesting to note I do not get the Java pop-ups on Linux like I did on Win10. Also no mouse lags either.  :thumbsup: If the 2 that are running stay happy, I may increase them to 4.  Doubt if I can go further than that as heat is my enemy this time of year. :bloodshot

Addendum 2: I have 8 running on an 8-thread Linux (Ubuntu 64-bit) with no apparent problems.  :fingers

Dataman

I thought I had a good go on the Linux machine until it suspended for time of day (which I do every day) and this crashed the Linux server.  :cry

@JN: I see you are about to get to 1 million.  :worship Do you wear a special talisman around your neck and whisper secret incantations privy to only the special few?  :rofl: Nice work mate! I think I will tuck-tail and run away.  :wink

JugNut

Yea NOT stopping them is a biggie. If I try and suspend just one WU the system becomes almost unusable,  as I reported at the forum.

These huge WU's are not the way I usually like doing things,  I usually like running a small cache of small to medium sized WU so I can chop & change at will as the need arises.  So once I stop this project I can't see myself going back in any hurry.  Although who knows if they get there apps under control it may end up being one of the better project out there?

And credit?  Yes it does!! I received 1mil in credit in just about 2 1/2 days at full steam. It starts out slow but once you get it up and going for a 3 or 4 hours then it starts to credit extremely well. Although a couple of my PC's are not crediting well so perhaps there some other factors involved.

At the moment though i'm making hay while the sun shines, err so to speak ;)

As usual YMMV.

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on July 06, 2018, 02:52:31 PM

And credit?  Yes it does!! I received 1mil in credit in just about 2 1/2 days at full steam. It starts out slow but once you get it up and going for a 3 or 4 hours then it starts to credit extremely well. Although a couple of my PC's are not crediting well so perhaps there some other factors involved.

Yes, they are using BOINC's new "Credit New" which "learns" credit over time. There is a weak explanation on their web page and at BOINC. Some are already calling it "Credit Screw" LOL. Each time BOINC tries to "fix" credit it gets worse IMO.

Some good news on my front. The Linux machine ran all night. Looks like "all" I have to do is restart the server at 4PM when it suspends/crashes for TOD. It resumes just fine at 9:00 PM but crashes when it suspends. At least the project admin's are attempting to fix things but my take is they do not know much about BOINC or the habits of crunchers. I will run it for a couple of more days but then stop until they start reporting to BOINCStats and fix some problems. I agree it could be a good project when they fix some things.
:greet

Cruncher Pete

Michael the Admin is working very hard on this and now java does not seem to be a problem now as it is not showing up in the GUI.  He also issued a new version of the Wrapper and the lag/freezes are not bad at my end. It seems that the longer you let it running the higher the credit.

After moving over all my projects to here I noted that our Team does not allow New Members.  Is that an error or on purpose?

Dingo

Quote from: Cruncher Pete on July 19, 2018, 07:31:05 AM
Michael the Admin is working very hard on this and now java does not seem to be a problem now as it is not showing up in the GUI.  He also issued a new version of the Wrapper and the lag/freezes are not bad at my end. It seems that the longer you let it running the higher the credit.

After moving over all my projects to here I noted that our Team does not allow New Members.  Is that an error or on purpose?

The "Accept new Members" is selected for the Team.  Maybe the project is not allowing new members for a while ??

Radioactive@home graph

shift

based on the team list

http://dhep.ga/boinc/team_members.php?teamid=48&offset=0&sort_by=expavg_credit

It looks like you have joined successfully as part of the team

tazzduke

Greetings All

Well since COSMOLOGY has gone bonkers, have switched a PC over to this project to see how it goes and also successfully joined the team.

Maybe one day they will be on BOINCSTATS lol.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

2018-07-20: Distr. Hardware Evolution, Credit Migration

Over the next few days the credit system will be migrated to one that:

o Is validation based rather than benchmark based.
o Is trickle based (so Work Units are still dummys).
o Is proportional to actual work contributed to the science of the project.
o Is fair so a PC crunching twice as fast will get twice the credit.
o Tracks and credits the progress of each BOINC host.
o Calculates RAC.

Please bear in mind during this time some credits might slip through the gaps.

However also massive amounts of credit might be handed out in a one-off event.

Once migration has taken place we will be adjusting the credit rate. It will likely start quite high and then we'll adjust it to be on the high end of what other projects are giving.