News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Updates

Started by Daniel, July 17, 2015, 01:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

Quote from: JugNut on May 19, 2019, 12:00:39 PM
Yea the version I tried was a Nvidia app for windows but so far there's no AMD version.  But they are working on it so it's possible the AMD cards will perform much better? But time will tell.

Eric is working on it but only for Linux :thumbdown:
It's ok though. I have other agendas for my GPU's :thumbsup:

Daniel

Thanks for posting the app_config file JugNut.
That's just what I was looking for.
My GPU load was very low - only around 25% on the RTX 2070.

Even though the credits are low, I'll keep going for a while.
It's nice to have another project to use my GPUs on.
:greet

JugNut

No worries Daniel,  how did the new app work out for you? Did it run OK on your RTX 2070?
In general are you happy with the 2070 as a boinc crunching card?

Cheers  :cheers:

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Daniel

Hi JugNut,

The new app is working fine on the RTX 2070 and on my other Nvidia GPUs.
Although, the credit is very low, as you mentioned.

I'm very happy with the RTX 2070, it's my best card and I haven't had any problems with it.

Actually, all my Nvidia cards have been good.
They have been very reliable - I haven't had any fail yet.

I also haven't had any problems with the drivers (but I don't update the drivers very often).
The temperatures are OK too.

I just wish Nvidia would release a GPU (that I can afford) with better Double Precision GFLOPS so that I could do better at Milkyway@Home.

JugNut

Thanks for the info Daniel it's always good to hear first hand about how individual cards behave while crunching :thumbsup:  Yea same here no problems with any of my Nvidia cards.  But still I need a new card or two and i'm still trying to figure out best bang for buck for the latest round of cards.  One things is for sure one way or the other new cards won't be cheap.

Cheers  :wave:

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

chooka03

No Jugnut.... I'm a bit bitter about the pricing of new cards. A mid range card is now quite expensive. Ridiculous really. Top end consumer cards like the 2080Ti and just horrendously priced.
I think the 1660Ti looks like a good, efficient card and the 2070. DEFINITELY don't bother with the 1650. :thumbdown:

chooka03

Anyone know what's going on with this project?
The website is down and I can see no one is generating any credits?

Dingo

The Project is up and running and there are plenty of tasks.   BUT

Future of the Project
I've been procrastinating in sharing some news and I finally got around to doing it.

My old thesis advisor who has been backing this project retired in May. I don't actually work for the university, so this means the project has lost is primary benefactor.

The good news is that the university has allowed the project to continue. The bad news is that they will not be supporting any more hardware upgrades. This means when the current hardware fails the project will come to an end.

I'm hoping the current hardware can last several more years. One of the most critical parts is the hard drive, and we just got a new one about 1.5 years ago. Given that the previous hard drive lasted over 4 years, this is a positive.

This news has played into my reasoning on the order of the searches. Given that sf3 is practically guaranteed to be complete, I though it was prudent to use our finite time to first concentrate on sf7. The short term goal is to get sf7 to the same state that sf3 is currently in, which should take us into early next year. At that point, we can either spend the time to finish off sf3 and sf7, or continue on with sf6. Doing sf6 will allow us to find more fields in the finite time we have left, but finishing off sf3 and sf7 will allow us to say with 100% certainty that they are indeed complete. I am leaning towards finishing off sf3 and sf7, but that may change as time goes on.  Discussion thread here https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/forum_thread.php?id=520

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Abruraspingi

Just saw this update and it makes me want to crunch more. They have laid out the project milestones.

https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/forum_thread.php?id=581#3442

Dingo

Quote[NumberFields@home] 2023 Year End Summary
2023 was basically a good year. The main achievements were:
1. Competed 100% of subfield 3.
2. Got subfield 7 to the point where it is essentially complete.
3. Completed several rows of the subfield 6 table.

Going forward we will continue chipping away at subfield 6. Meanwhile, the last remnants of subfield 7 have been farmed out to Gerasim.

Thanks everyone for your contributions and have a wonderful New Year!

View article · Mon, 1 Jan 2024 21:41:36 +0000

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dingo

Quote[NumberFields@home] server maintenance

Just a heads up, the server was upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu this morning.

The database seems to be crashing every so often with an error about exceeding max connections. Bear with me as we look into this.

View article · Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:40:14 +0000

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

If you voted for BOINC or Climate prediction then you can't vote for this because they are both in section "AL C7. E-Science"

Quote[NumberFields@home] BOINC is a finalist for an notable award, and needs your vote (*by Sunday)
The World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) is a United Nations-sponsored initiative aimed at harnessing the potential of information and communication technologies to build inclusive and equitable information societies worldwide. BOINC has been nominated for a prize at the 2024 forum, and has passed initial hurdles; the next and last step ("Phase 3") requires public votes. The award would be a very nice boost and validation for BOINC and all our projects; if we can get our communities to vote, we should have a decent shot at this point...

Voting is pretty simple, takes just a few minutes; instructions are here.

(*The deadline for votes is Sunday: 31 March 2024, 23:00 UTC+02:00)

View article · Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:49:23 +0000

Radioactive@home graph