News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

losy xconfig file

Started by Furlozza, March 16, 2009, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furlozza

:hbang: :hbang: :hbang:

First of all, iGnatious' PSU died overnight.............. so a trip toNet Station to get a newbie... hm okay a new graphics card as well, cause the old one is a pain with GPUGrid.... oh my... they gotta 900-two case just sitting there.......

so shall have pretty lights tonight

Anyways, for some reason have lost my xconfig file..... so can't adjust screen acreage..... any ideas?? cause I'm at a total loss.

I know... me bad... and dumb.

clownius

If its an nvidia graphics card u have install the nvidia drivers and nvsettings.  Adjust using the nvidia setting tool.  Much easier than messing with xorg.config believe me.

Furlozza

Well, found nvidia-settings and it is buried in Xconfig file..... so am still at a loss... cause still get told that I don't have a xconfig file, and yet I know it exists :hbang:

clownius

nvidia-settings is an app. get it from the same place u get the nvidia drivers.  Also the name of the file is "xorg.conf".  If you didn't have one u would have no gui at all so its somewhere.  Try installing the drivers with envy it should install setting to and this app run as a super user will edit xorg.conf for you.

Furlozza

Used Envy. Got 180.11 driver installed. rebooted.......

(EE) failed to load module "type 1" (module does not exist,0)
(EE) No devices detected

The above occured during boot............ so we booted in low video mode (800 x 600)

Opened Nvidia X servers settings and got the following message:

Not running NVidia X Driver
Edit your x config file (just run nvidia xconfig as root and restart x server

Did that and got following:

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

PARSE ERROR: Parse error on line 29 of section Module in file
             /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
             "Disable" is not a valid keyword in this section.

Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Mummy :cry2:

clownius

Sounds like u broke it good!  Try the Nvidia 177 driver instead see if that helps.

Furlozza

Sounds like Ubuntu hasn't heard of the 250GSX

Looks like TheGnat just got a new vid card.... all unexpected like..... since iGnatious is being stroppy

HMmmmmmmmmmmmm shall see what happens when I download some GPUGrid work.... see if the shirty screen is compensated in some manner

Oh and also later downloaded the 180.37 driver from another source.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllll the 250card is NOT seen *GROOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN*

gotta love life, ain't ya??

Furlozza

Addendum and correction

Yes, the card is a 250GTX.... not whatever I have been calling it. (250GSX?, GSX250? 250GTS/ {and I wasn't into Monaros}:blush1:)

Should also have noted from the blokes that were using 2XX series cards that they were putting them into MS boxes, not linux. One of the files I downloaded when trying to find the 'right' driver had a list of supported cards.... and there was no mention of any 2XX series, and that was for the latest linux driver (182.37)

NVidia even make mention in their website that linux isn't supported as yet, but you have to actually ask the site to find the driver for your x64 Linux and that is when they say "sorry".

Ah well, when this AA is over shall switch cards between boxes and TheGnat will be running the 250GTX .... might even make the games "prettier" and can play them more often as 128 Shaders leaves 64 Shaders (in 9600GT) in the.......... (sorry bout this) Shade!

clownius

My GTX 280 worked fine under Kubuntu 8.10 on both the 177 and the 180 driver.  In fact it even did some GPU grid work.  yet to get Linux going on my 295 but im sure it will work too is i can sort out my grub issues.

Furlozza

had ubuntu re-install the driver (180.37).... and the card was picked up YEAH!!, but as a GeForce GTS 150 ... with no CUDA capabilities

I wasn't even aware there was such a card.

Ah well, at least I am out of the lovely 800x600screen resolution yeah!!

clownius

BOINC picking it up with a 6.6.x version?

Edit: Being that the card is new it might reuire and update to a newer driver when one comes out b4 it can BOINC properly :(

Wang Solutions

I use 182 drivers on my GT9800 on Ubuntu - did you try going to the NVidia site and downloading a Linux driver for that card series? I gather from what you said above that you have and that the drivers are not there yet, but that was when you were calling it the wrong thing so just thought I would check ...

clownius

Yeah try a driver for a 260 or a 280 they should work fine.  Its the same driver for many different cards.

Furlozza

Well, the driver I am using is specifically (sorta) FOR the 260/280.... even the Tesla C870...... there is an 'unknown GPU', but no actualy mention of the GTS 150

Dunno whether to laugh or cry.... Oh and the 250 was only added to the Windows lineup in March.......oh yeah, but I mentioned that earlier. Anyways, I KNOW that TheGnat's card IS mentioned in supported cards... so..... and will install the 250 on TheGnat... and install and then download approriate windows driver.

BTW, left a question at the NViudia Linux forum about the driver or lack thereof... maybe THEY will provide an answer to a bloke who has sorta settled on the way out.