News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Optimised Apps

Started by Dingo, February 01, 2011, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Just found that Collatz has a Optimised apps page, or forgot that they had one,  and there is an Linux ATI app on it.  Might have to give it a try when it cools down.  It is too hot in the computer room at the moment.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Haha it's 39.7 here at the moment. My computer would have expired and so would I without air conditioning. About the same temp at your place I suppose.  :faint:

Dingo

Quote from: kashi on February 01, 2011, 03:37:09 PM
Haha it's 39.7 here at the moment. My computer would have expired and so would I without air conditioning. About the same temp at your place I suppose.  :faint:

Yes got up to 40C today and it is still 27C at 11.22PM and only going down to 25.   Not used to the heat yet after being in Canada for 12 years.  I do not have any air con in my bedroom just a fan :cry2:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

kashi

You would really notice it then. 40.6C max here today also. It's boiling in my room at the moment, air con goes off at 10 pm according to the law and my room heated up very quickly, it's probably about 30C in here now judging by how wet I am and the computer being 89C. It's only 24.9 outside at the moment but is rising again as a hot breeze has just come up. Was 24 an hour ago.

Sydney is still 31.2C. Hot time in the old town tonight. If the computer cracks 90C in the next hour I will shut down another core or  :boom:

Edit: Still rising, 27.5C now, have shut down another core which has reduced temp to a relatively comfortable 85C.  ;D
More: Yeeha, this is ridiculous. Now 28.8C at 1.30am.

veebee

Quote from: kashi on February 02, 2011, 12:39:53 AM
....... It's boiling in my room at the moment, air con goes off at 10 pm according to the law ......

what law is THAT ? and WHERE is that ?? remind me not to move there ! lol

We had 42 here yesterday just outside Penrith (I really miss living on the coast at times like this..) -  in this sort of heat I start the aircon at around 9 am before it heats up here and leave it set at 23 - 24 degrees so it doesn't work TOO hard....

might be time for a small split system for the bedroom too.

Vajras

Coastal temp here yesterday - 41C  :shock

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: kashi on February 02, 2011, 12:39:53 AM
air con goes off at 10 pm according to the law

What Veebee said, where's that? Who's law, fed, state or stupid local?
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

kashi

Yes many people are not aware of the law. This is not surprising as the air conditioning industry goes to great pains never to mention it.

The allowable noise level as a guideline is no more than 5dB(A) sound pressure level above background  noise. This is measured at the boundary between the owner and the neighbours' properties. Local city councils may impose specific maximum limits.  Air conditioners can be used during the following times:
Weekdays  7am to 10pm
Weekends and public holidays       8am to 10pm

At other times air conditioners must be turned off, unless they are inaudible from neighbours' homes.

Noise issues associated with the use of appliances such as air conditioners are often the result of the  operators being unaware that their actions are adversely affecting neighbours. Operators are also unaware that by exceeding noise levels, they are breaking the law and could be fined for such activities. Raising people's awareness of noise nuisances and potential penalties that may apply will ensure reduction of these nuisances.

Likewise, limited advice from retailers and installers, and lack of forethought and planning by owners, retailers and installers on the location and use of air conditioners also contributes to noise impacts in the community.

Local city councils regulate noise impacts from residential appliances using various Regulations. These Regulations prescribe:
•    Noise level restrictions for air conditioning
•    Time restrictions for air conditioning use
•    Powers for local councils to issue warnings, abatement notices and on-the-spot fines.

I think the times vary for other states particularly South Australia and Queensland but here's the applicable NSW government link and an excerpt from the linked page: Dealing with neighbourhood noise

Noisy domestic equipment

The Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2008 specifies the times when noise from domestic activities should not be heard in a neighbour's home. If a person fails to comply with a warning from the police or council for operating noisy equipment such as power tools, sound systems, musical instruments, air conditioners, pool pumps or heat pump water heaters during restricted times, an on-the-spot fine may be issued.

An on-the-spot fine of $200 ($400 for corporations) may be imposed on anyone who continues to make noise up to 28 days after being warned to stop by an authorised DECCW officer, the police, or a local council officer.

The times when these noisy appliances should not be used if they can be heard inside certain rooms of a neighbour's residence are listed in Table 1, with advice on who to contact if you need help.

Source: Air conditioners and heat pump water heaters
Time Restrictions: 10 pm to 8 am on weekends and public holidays, 10 pm to 7 am on weekdays

The Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2008 law. Relevant section is 52.

Dataman

Wow ... rather draconian.  :thumbdown:
I especially like:
Quoteare often the result of the  operators being unaware that their actions are adversely affecting neighbours.
Is this to imply that people in NSW's don't talk to their neighbors??  biggrin

I'm glad I can only see one neighbor and no one could care less how much noise I make.  :boom:

:aus1:

Dingo

Modern air conditioners make little noice compared to the evaporative ones.  The people next door have an evaporative cooler on their roof and the pump and fan noise is load outside but not noticeable inside.  My small air con can hardly be heard in my yard.  I leave my air con on till I go to bed if it is needed and that might me 12 or 2 am?

Radioactive@home graph

veebee

the blocks around hereare so big that the houses are all like 50 metres apart ( + or - ) and our compressor section is in the middle of the back of our house so I doubt the could hear it at all.

We ARE , however, planning on getting a split unit installed in the main bedroom which is on the "end" (side" ) of the house, probably 40 meters from next door... but I think that being new technology it will be pretty quiet, and besides, cooling until 10 or 11 pm is enough anyway.

kashi

Yes it doesn't affect people on larger blocks but sometimes the air conditioning companies prefer to put the compressor on the side of a house because it reduces the cost. This is because it is a shorter run. When this is close to a neighbour's bedroom window on a smaller block this can cause problems. Many modern air conditioning units are reasonably quiet but make more noise when heating than cooling. As they age however some tend to get noisier.

Some people who are unaware of the law get quite a shock if they move to a high density complex where the restrictions are adhered to. My auntie lives at a large retirement complex at Wyoming where the 10 pm legal "curfew" for air conditioners is strictly enforced.