News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Overview

Started by Dingo, September 16, 2011, 01:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

New theSkyNet BOINC application available see this link   http://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?topic=1269.0

Promotional Video  http://www.youtube.com/embed/B7qM17rBgx4

The Science Bit

By connecting 100s and 1000s of computers together through the Internet, it's possible to simulate a single machine capable of doing some pretty amazing stuff.

theSkyNet is a community computing project dedicated to radio astronomy. Radio astronomers use radio telescopes (of course) to observe the Universe at radio wavelengths (still with me?). All day, every day, signals from distant galaxies, stars and other cosmic bits and pieces arrive at the Earth in the form of radio waves. Once detected by a radio telescope the signal is processed by computers and used by scientists to support a theory or inspire a new one.

The Computer Bit

When you join theSkyNet your computer will help radio astronomers process information and answer some of the big questions we have about the Universe.
As a part of theSkyNet community your computer will be called upon to process small packets of data, but you wont even notice it's going on. The key to theSkyNet is to have lots of computers connected, with each doing only a little, but it all adding up to a lot.

At the heart of theSkyNet is this website, theSkyNet.org where you'll find alliances you've joined stack up against others. The more data you and your alliances process, the more status you'll have within theSkyNet community.

But that's not it, because as theSkyNet project evolves we'll be adding more features for you to explore. In the pipeline we have visualisation tools to help you understand the data you're processing and even an opportunity to help identify and catalogue radio wave sources.

The Guts of theSkyNet

theSkyNet is powered by some clever software called Nereus. Data collected by one of several radio telescopes is sent to your computer as a small data packet ready for processing by the Nereus client. Once processing of the data packet has taken place it is sent back and the process begins all over again. By repeating this process across thousands of computers, it is possible to simulate a single powerful machine capable of doing real and relevant scientific research.

As a member of theSkyNet you can:

Earn credits for contributing your computing power to theSkyNet.
   Earn trophies as you unlock achievements.
   Compare yourself to other theSkyNet members in the ranking lists.
   Form and join alliances with others and take over theSkyNet Universe together.
   Share your success through your Facebook or Twitter if you'd like.
   Win an amazing grand prize.

Plus you can say 'I helped do real science today, all to stop my computer from getting bored!'

To join theskynet you need to register at this URL  http://www.theskynet.org/

Make sure that you join the Team which they call an Alliance which is BOINC@AUSTRALIA

Once you have joined the Team you can see the Alliance here as well as the Individual and Alliance Ladders.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dingo

This a link to an ABC presentation on Australia is one of two finalists bidding to host the world's largest radio telescope, the SKA.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

danhtruong

Hi all,

Just wondering, I know this is a BOINC team, but is anyone still running the website client of theSkyNet or have most/all transitioned to theSkyNet POGS?

Cruncher Pete

Hi Dan.  Although I joined the web site SkyNet at one stage, I now only run BOINC projects for the sake of uniformity and ease of management.

Dingo

Just running BOINC version

Radioactive@home graph

LawryB