News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

New scoring system

Started by Dingo, September 22, 2011, 05:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Haven't had any drop out for a while but I've only been running 1 or 2 after I noticed it chewing up my quota. I had one stall (no CPU activity) for a long time recently with the other one working.

Perhaps it is more likely to happen if you are running a higher number of the web applications. I did have a few dropouts very early in the project when I was running 5. Also had some that failed to connect and dropped out almost immediately.

Will see what happens tomorrow when I go up to 3. It does use 560MB of memory per application, so perhaps when you are doing something memory intensive and don't have enough memory the Java application terminates. For example if you were doing multiple BOINC projects with some high memory tasks and had "leave in memory" selected. Pausing BOINC to do something else that also used lots of memory would increase the chances of running out of memory.

Maybe overcommitting the CPU could also be a cause of the Java app terminating. Each web application usually uses only one core when fully active but I have seen very occasional spikes to 24% which is 2 cores on this computer. I'm currently running 5 BOINC cores and 2 SkyNets, so one core is kept free to keep things cooler and responsive. I noticed a great deal of screen lag when I was running MilkyWay and 5 SkyNets. I've been in power conservation mode for a while now so am no longer doing any BOINC GPU processing. It so quiet it's unbelievable, strangely it makes the ringing in my ears seem much louder.;D Excellent for sleeping though.:thumbsup:

Dingo

I think if you click on the Browser client Message "Show your client" and there is nothing there then it is closed.  I think the application is getting better at knowing how amny cores are available and if you open too many clients it shuts them over time. As per Kashi's comment memory is also used and might also be a reason.

I went to visit my Daughter and Son on Sunday and today so had all my computers off except the web server and I see that the Alliance is in 7th place now.  :congrats :congrats  Big jump to 6th place as they have over 36K credits on us.  I also got a new Trophie  

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Well done on your new trophy.  :congrats  :congrats What is that, a spider?:crazy Hmm guess I'll find out when I hit 30,000, Tarantula Nebula perhaps.

danhtruong

Wow, 30k credits.
Kinda also looks like the spider from Simcity or that monster in War of the Worlds.

I'll find out in about... 5 months   Bashhead

kashi

Well it was stalled again for all last night, so I shut it down. Started it up this morning and it's cooking with gas so now I've got 4 cores on SkyNet and 4 on WCG. :thumbsup:
Hope it keeps going for a bit longer today.