News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Hi Bandwidth usage

Started by Dingo, October 04, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Yes mine is at zero as well.  Just a note on the preferences that the local ones take precedence to the Computing preferences that you change on the project.  To reset the local back to Global you need to go to the preferences in BOINC and there is a CLEAR button at the top.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

I've just started up again today. Dashboard didn't work and credit didn't increase for hours but it seemed to be affecting everyone so no worries. It's all going again now though. I have followed Dingo's lead and upgraded to unlimited so I won't have to worry about excess bandwidth until the NBN starts up here in about 18 months.

I'm currently running 2 SkyNets with WCG running on 6 BOINC cores. I will increase to 3 SkyNets after I get my ruby badge for Leishmaniasis in a week or so. May run 5 for a day or 2 to catch up a bit, can't run more than that because I don't have enough memory.;D

Haha I got a new trophy:

"The Gigabyte" (3,380 credits)

IBM introduced the first hard disk drive to break the 1 GB barrier in 1980. It was called the IBM 3380 and could store 2.52 GB (500 times more than the consumer options at the time). Its cabinet was about the size of a refrigerator and the whole thing weighed in at 250 kg.

danhtruong

Hi kashi,

Is it still working for you?
I've had 2 theSkyNet clients open for the past 1.5 days and no luck so far.

Wish they had a 'server status' page to let us know.

kashi

No, it's showing zero Machines Online Now on the dashboard again and is currently not using any CPU resources. Machines Online Today is showing 3 because I closed one earlier this morning when it went idle and started a new instance. My 2 instances did about 5 hours of CPU time each when they were active and my score increased by 67.

It's a bit annoying this on, off inconsistency. Doesn't matter for BOINC throughput because 2 cores idle increases the speed of the 6 cores active, but for WCG badge hunting it adds a few days to acquire the next colour.

I don't know why they can't work out a way to allow you to cache some work. I did a fair bit of work for Community TSC and that was Java but allowed you to cache a day of work. I'm not surprised that the SkyNet server is down often though, that was common with Community TSC and I expected the same from any Java based project. They test these Java applications in a limited way and when they are hit with large BOINC style numbers of connections they do not scale and repeatedly fall over. Even WCG reluctantly moved to BOINC when their United Devices grid system closed, unfortunate these projects feel the need to do it all themselves with limited resources when the BOINC system has had years of development.

Mike Mitchell

I have a couple questions:
(1) What can be done to make it finish the current work and not download any more?
(2) How can it be stopped from starting?
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dingo

Quote from: Mike Mitchell on November 04, 2011, 11:49:57 PM
I have a couple questions:
(1) What can be done to make it finish the current work and not download any more?

You do not know what work is in progress so all you can do is close the browser applications you have open and it will stop processing.  If you have the installed application running, as opposed to the browser application, I do not think there is a way to stop it unless you uninstall the application.  It is nothing like BOINC where you can configure most things to either happen or not.

When you close the browser applications it stops and will not start till you open a new browser application.  As above If you have the installed application running I do not think there is a way to stop it unless you uninstall the application.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dingo on November 05, 2011, 12:34:39 AM
If you have the installed application running

I think that's what I have, so I'll try and delete it with Control Panel.

Thanks Dingo, plus one.

Cheers
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti