News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

POEM GPU

Started by kashi, December 27, 2011, 12:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

Thought I would give POEM another whirl as you are talking about such good credit Kashi.

there have been 4 WU's running all day on my 6950... they are at 13 hrs  and the progress percentage is around 0.02 to 0.05 on all 4....

Is this normal ? I am not sure if it was ar POEM or another project where  iread of "short', "Long", "Really Long" etc WU's (official description n the homepage !) but this seems excessively long.

I am downloading catalyst 12.1a preview...  is there checkpointing in these poem WU's so that those 12 hrs wont be wasted (unless they already are ..)?

Hopefully the driver update will make a difference.

kashi

Answered your PM but for the benefit of others yes POEM GPU has checkpointing. And 13 hrs is much too long, it is a reoccurrence of the problem you had before associated with your 4770 not being recognised by BOINC. If it is not recognised by BOINC it will possibly again cause trouble even if you get tasks running on your 6950 for a short time. Either use a dummy plug or remove it is all I can again suggest.

veebee

All seems to be running fine now - and I was inrending to remove the 4770 as BOINC wasn't recognising it for some reason (although MSI afterburner etc saw it fine).

Just did some fiddling with another project (Test4Theory - keeps/ kept errorring out after 1 minute) and shut down client and restarted..

VOILA !   :yahoo:   both the 6950 AND the 4770 are now crunching away... 4 WU's at a time each.  :greet

Will be intereting to see how much one of the 4770's puts out... as there is another PCIe slot sitting there... waiting .... 

veebee

Well... all WAS running fine.. but now both cards in both machines are sitting there idle - with POEM, Primegrid, SETI and Moo! all open for tasks... but none are fetching anything and when I click update, they are "not requesting new tasks"...

anyone got any ideas on what might be happpening here ?

Dingo

Are you running the Recommended version of BOINC or a Development version ?  Have you tried to stop the client then start it again?  Have you returned invalid work to these projects ?

I really don't know what is wrong but just grasping at straws  :boom:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Not running BOINC 7.0.3 are you? Both tazzduke and I had trouble with work fetch with 7.0.3 and tazzduke discovered that BOINC 7.0.2 worked better, so I switched back to 7.0.2 too. It's mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm still humming along nicely in POEM, my computer is now the top host there.:crazy

veebee

Unfortuneately,not 7.0.2 for Windows ...

kashi

Unfortunately not what? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Download:BOINC - Windows 64 - 7.0.2

veebee

Quote from: kashi on January 16, 2012, 04:24:51 PM
Unfortunately not what? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Download:BOINC - Windows 64 - 7.0.2

Thanks Mate - downloading now - but 7.0.2 is still not there at Berkely (at least I cannot see it on their downloads page).. and 7.0.3 is no longer the latest beta version... 7.0.8 is...

kashi

At Berkeley? You mean the BOINC download webpage I assume. I wouldn't know what is there, I rarely go there. I always download new BOINC versions from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/?C=M;O=D

Usually wait until someone else has tried a new version first though, sometimes the beta versions are very buggy and get withdrawn.

Just a handy hint with version 7.0.2. Unlike other versions of BOINC I have used it will still download tasks when you have some of them suspended. If you have lots of temporarily suspended CPU project tasks in order to do reissued tasks first or for other reasons, if you click Update you can end up downloading more than your cache is set to.

veebee

Hmmm, never seen that download directory before.. thanks, +1 !

so are all the Windows versions there "stable" or tested yet ? as I am still having work fetch issues with these computers at times, with POEM gpu WU's.

Another strange issue, is that seeing as I cannot get POEM work at times (even when the servers say there is work) I will open Moo! up...  the first WU will download, and then sit there ! it wont run...

owner

veebee your non running Moo wu's may be something to do with running a development version of boinc.  it runs fine on 6.12.34 but you may require an app-info file to run it on higher versions. 

Scott

Quote from: kashi on January 16, 2012, 05:40:00 PMJust a handy hint with version 7.0.2. Unlike other versions of BOINC I have used it will still download tasks when you have some of them suspended. If you have lots of temporarily suspended CPU project tasks in order to do reissued tasks first or for other reasons, if you click Update you can end up downloading more than your cache is set to.
Can you elaborate on that at all?  Does it download more for the suspended project or the unsuspended one?  If the former, that sounds broken (unless you're just suspending particular tasks rather than the project as a whole), but if the latter, that happens for me and I'm still on 6.10.60 (ie, if I suspend one project, other projects will have tasks downloaded to fill the 'empty' cache).

LawryB

VeeBee.  What version of BOINC are you running and on what platform?  I'm talking about MOO in general and the machine that downloads a WU and then stops processing in particular.

veebee

@ LawryB: Version 7.0.2 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

It doesn't so much "stop" processing.. it simply doesn't START ! and this is on BOTH machines of same configuration...