News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Whats happening to WCG ??

Started by veebee, December 29, 2011, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

Does anyone know what is going on at WCG ???

I inadvertantley had to detach the other day on one of my machines, went to re-attach but cannot, and cannot get to the website either.

Surely it isn't just me !!!

EDIT: looks like it IS just me ... or more accurately, this machine... my other i7 connects, gets work, opens website etc fine... something is obviously blocking/ preventing accees for this computer... oh well, here goes another half hour of my Nanna-nap, trying to work this out !

EDIT No 2:  this is getting annoying... have tried everything I can find from setting a static IP address, to clearing cache/ cookies etc and anything I could find in between.

It is ONLY WCG's site.. I can access any other website I want. It happens both through Boinc Manager and also if I try typing the address directly into the address bar. All other project's web sites are accesible through Boinc Manager and through address bar .....   :hbang:

LawryB

veebee

No - (well it WASN'T AVG, put it THAt way !!) thanks for suggesting it though.. I have a feeling i have been running with out any active AV on this machine !! normally I have AVG on all of them - though I know I tried AVIRA on this one (and got rid of it).

Latest AVG is on it now... but still no different.. and I cannot find anything which could be blocking that site.

Please.. any more ideas people ? WCG is gone forever from this machine if I cannot remedy this situation..!

tazzduke

Hiya veebee

I dont know if this will help or not, but every now and then I use a program called peerguardian2/peerblocker and when this is running, I cannot connect to WCG (plus other websites) as it is blocking the ip address range which WCG is within.

In other words maybe recheck firewall settings, within Windows, router and firewall program (you may or may not be running)

Just a thought

regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

veebee

:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Tazzduke - thank you very much !

Have recently (a week or two ago) added peerblocker - for reasons I wont state here in case there are any really .. ummm.. "good" people watching the thread !   :cool:

Instant success, and definitely worth a plus one or two !

Thanks again... would NEVER have though of that.

So, can I create some sortof exception within peerblocker for WCG's address (need to find out exactky WHAT that is..) or that approximate range ?

Thanx again !

WikiWill

Quote from: veebee on December 30, 2011, 11:14:10 AM
:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

I'm glad it's back :)

Quote from: veebee on December 30, 2011, 11:14:10 AM
So, can I create some sortof exception within peerblocker for WCG's address (need to find out exactky WHAT that is..) or that approximate range ?

WCG's address: at the moment I only see it using 198.20.8.246 which is out of the range (198.20.8.0 - 198.20.9.255) assigned to IBM Canada.  The web site and BOINC client all talk to that address.  However it uses DNS and might resolve to other IPs at other times or places.

tazzduke

Hiya veebee

Well from way out left field type of thinking, no worries.

regards
tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant