News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Idiosyncrasies

Started by LawryB, August 28, 2012, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawryB

Hello to YoYo Aficionados

As this project is the subject of AA31 perhaps you YoYo fans might like to list some of its loveable little quirks.  Might help newbies to the project.

Like Evolution.  A work unit showed 100% complete after processing for 7 hours 59 minutes BUT now at 12 hours 43 minutes it is still processing and shows 132% complete.  Not to worry it will eventually finish.   :hbang: :faint:

EDIT:  Finished in 13 hours 33 minutes.

Dingo

Yes and some of the applications initially show the "Remaining" time as over 100 hours and then runs in less than two.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

For people unfamiliar with yoyo@home the main subproject to be careful with is evolution@home. This is because evolution tasks can have long runtimes and have no checkpointing. So if you rebooot to install some Microsoft updates you will lose all work and start again from the beginning; same if you have a computer malfunction, power failure, do not have leave in memory checked, need to use the computer for something else, turn off the computer at night, etc.

As the progress percentage for evolution tasks shown in BOINC is also erratic, may not move for hours and can go above 100%, some may think the task has stalled and stop and restart BOINC with the thought that this will start it incrementing again. Of course with no checkpointing this causes the loss of all evolution work completed.

So evolution@home is best avoided unless your computer is very stable, you rarely turn it off or reboot and are aware of the quirks of the progress percentage as pointed out by LawryB. Progress indicator for evolution is based on a only rough runtime estimation, so tasks may finish at 40% or at 150% or higher and the longer running evolution tasks may take more than 24 hours to complete on slower computers.

Subproject ecm can sometimes use high amounts of memory per task so may not be suitable for those with computers which have smaller amounts of ram. It can occasionally also grant extremely high credit rates for the high memory tasks, so those who wish to chase higher yoyo credit and have sufficient ram, ecm may be a subproject to consider.

Harmonious trees has a new application that was only released a few days ago for those who are interested. 

Myself I will select both muon and ecm in my yoyo preferences and process a mixture of tasks from both subprojects.

WikiWill

I've done a bit of YoYo and can't complain. The choice of sub-projects means you should never be short of work.

The point about evo is a good one and caught me initially.  I haven't run it for a while though.  I'm currently on Harmonious Trees (the idea of a forest humming in tune makes me smile) and ecm.

By the way, YoYo runs on donations.  It would be very cool if this AA could not only crunch lots, but also pay the costs for this year!  They only need about 270 Euro, and they take Paypal so it's really easy  biggrin

LawryB

Sure is an interesting spread of credits with the ECM sub project.
One Wu took over 11 hours and paid 2400 credits, the next took about 19 minutes and paid 27 credits.
Just loaded 2 ECM WUs onto my MAC and it says they are going to take 48 hours to complete.

Tin Man

@LawryB.  Had some coming up saying 150 hrs plus to complete.  They ended up taking around 9 hours to finish.

tazzduke

Not having a probs so far, have loaded up on some Evo and OGR, as I havent got the 10k badges and this AA has given me the kick up the butt to get em, then I will mix em up near the end.

All I can say is onwards and upwards

Regards
Tazzduke  :rofl:

AA 24 - 53 participant

kashi

Get it on, bang a gong.  v:

Just swapped over to yoyo, I've downloaded a few muon tasks with estimated runtime of 3 hours and quite a few ecm and most of those are 65 hour whoppers! :jester:

Good luck and good crunching to all.  :thumbsup: