News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Need more Team crunching power

Started by Dingo, October 08, 2012, 02:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

We have SETI.Germany screaming up behind us at POGS and are contributing much more than us,   We will be overtaken by another Team in this First Australian project so I have moved 50% of my resources over to theSkyNet and left the other 50% on Constellation.

It would be good if we as a mainly Australian Team could hold off the other teams in this project.  :AUS:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

JugNut

Geesh!!   :boom:

I just finished moving the last of my cores off SN POGs to Constallation not an hour ago.  We need more cruncher's NOW!!

Whats that saying about a team divided?  Bashhead

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dingo

The problem of over 4000 crunchers in the Team but only 30 or so look at the forums.  Stay over at Constellation till the challenge is finished now that you are there and come back to Pogs if you want after the challenge.  :dance2:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

JugNut

My personal stat's

LawryB

Me too.   All my MAC pogs failed this morning so that went over as well.

Agnew

Sorry, but I'm crunching SubsetSum@Home at the moment, trying to keep the team above our current ranking of 32, (as well as the usual Simap while work is available)

Cruncher Pete

Agnew, I have to tell you that I am disappointed in your reply.  Whilst I am a members of this team, you should all be aware that I do not hold back and I will always call a spade a spade.

I admire you honesty of telling us that you are currently tied down to crunch a certain project because you hope to move us from position 32 or such.  That is fair enough for as far as I can gather form our policy is that you can and in deed are encouraged to crunch whatever you wish.  The problem is that we can not send emails to all of our members to encourage them to participate in a particular project and when we need extra power so to say we relay on people that actually visit the forum.

In this case, it is already too late for even if you join to help the team your results is likely to be still in pending by the time it is finished.

Please do not take this as an insult for it is not intended as such and i am only a Newbie here. I am trying to convey to all that sometimes your personal endeavours should be put aside for the sake of the Team Truly, the final comment from me is to continue doing whatever suits you best for in the end it will still be a help for Science and the Team.

Dingo

All members are free to crunch whatever projects they think are best for them OR the Team.   :rocks

Radioactive@home graph

LawryB

Quote from: Dingo on October 08, 2012, 03:11:21 PM
The problem of over 4000 crunchers in the Team but only 30 or so look at the forums. 

@Dingo.

Could challenges issued by BOINC@AUSTRALIA be the AAs of the future?   I'm suggesting that, perhaps we need something different to attract some of our silent majority.
Maybe we could make more use of Facebook as well because I'll bet a vast majority of the "silent many" already have Facebook accounts.
Maybe a dreaded email to explain what it is all about or point them at a Facebook entry(?)
I think I'd take note if I received an email saying BOINC@Australia has issued a challenge to the rest of the world etc etc. 

JugNut

I was thinking maybe a project of the month, week or year? Maybe all three?  So as when someone's not crunching there own pet project & "not" doing an AA they could easily see what team goals are and crunch one of those.  Could be voted by members or picked by our fearless leader or an appointed member?    Or pick in advance which challenge's the team should do so were all on the same page at the same time & ready for battle.

Or even a special AA, a drive for members with small prizes for most improved ect ect. (yes I'd be happy to donate a little) or just special icons that get added to peoples sig's for just one time of for ever for achievements & such.

I'm horrified to say it but maybe Lawry's right as well.  I've been on the internet long before it was fashionable & i've resisted facebook like the plague, but if that's what it takes to re-energise the teams/boards numbers then bring it on...

OK maybe some of my suggestions are a little lame but other teams do all or some these things anyway (I checked) & they could work for us too.  I'm just afraid if just a few more regulars leave the team it could be, well err a little empty around here.  While it's not that way yet, maybe it's time to try something different now rather than later.   I've grown very fond of this team & would like to see it grow from strength to strength.

I hope I haven't overstepped my mark?   Just trying to help out as best I know how.

My personal stat's

tazzduke

Well I only use it to connect with family back east and to see what tidbits my footy teams are putting out.

Otherwise, I will be swining my 4 cores back onto POGS on Friday, just got to 45K at LHC@home Classic, and need a couple of days to get it to 50K, then it will be full steam ahead at POGS

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

I think we will stick with the AA's at the times that we have them.  AA's were first started to try and gain places in projects that the Team was down in or just on projects that we thought we could gain world positions in.  We do not advertise what projects we do the AA's on as that would warn any Team above us and negate the benefits.   I also do not want to send more emails than necessary to the Team, which is another reason to stick with the same numbers. 

There is no problem in having mini AA's and in fact we have done that in the past.   I join all the BoincStats challenges for the Team as we crunch most projects as a team anyway and on average do fairly well.   There are also challenges that are on WCG that I join on behalf of the Team.

I occasionally put a post on the forum asking for support like I did for theSkyNet POGS this week but that is rare.

So in short anyone can start a Mini AA and/or have a Poll on a mini AA as long as they don't clash with the dates for AA's 

Keep on crunching....

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

Like to thank those members that came on board and we have increase our output measurably.  If we keep going the way we are we will hold onto second place easy, but will have to wait for the first place Team to fall off and go to other projects.  Thank you to all members of the Team that are crunching this project and especially Cruncher Pete who is the #1 cruncher.  :worship

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/137/user/list/12/0/6

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/137/team/list/0/0#2

Radioactive@home graph

Cruncher Pete

Thank you Dingo for the accolades, however, I see it the same way as you for POGS is an Australian project and we as Aussies should support it as best we could.  Admittedly, we no longer have the crunching power as once we had for RL and in particular cost of power has effected all of us.  Personally, I could nearly double my output but I need to watch it and it depends how much sunshine I am getting during the day to help paying for the costs.   At the same token whilst I admit that it cost me a lot of money to have a farm like I have, it would not worth a thing if I was to swap and change between applications.  I am staying here for as long as needed to make our presence felt.  It does not matter if you are only running a lap top as long as you work out what is the best project for you to crunch either for you or the Team.  It is a win win situation for we all benefit from your efforts in the end.  You are encouraged to crunch what you feel is best for you, but for me at the moment POGS has the leading edge for the team and therefore I will do my best for we might not have the power to be first, let us at least be second.. :rocks

tazzduke

Greetings Dingo,

Back onboard, been a bit hit and miss for the last few weeks, but have put at least 2 cores onto it (only got 4 cores). 

Happy Crunching

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant