News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Need more Team crunching power

Started by Dingo, October 08, 2012, 02:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

I've been exclusively POGS for CPU projects for a while now. WCG HCC GPU sucks 3 CPU cores during the day, but it's full speed ahead on POGS on those CPU cores at night. Much quieter for sleeping without GPU fan whine and GPU only uses power during the day.

The drop in hourly POGS credit when HCC GPU is running isn't as much as I thought as the POGS tasks speed up considerably when run on fewer CPU cores due to less contention. Although they reserve the 3 CPU cores exclusively, the HCC GPU tasks only actually use a full CPU core for 20 seconds at the start and about 45 seconds at the end of each task. The 3 concurrent tasks usually are not synchronised, so often only 1 CPU core is being fully used by HCC at a time. Hence speedy, low contention POGS processing.:thumbsup:

Maximum HCC credit on my setup with HT off and no CPU tasks running, maximum POGS credit with HT on and no HCC. Day/night compromise with HT on lets me contribute to both my current 2 favoured BOINC projects.v:

Well done to all supporting the team on theSkyNet POGS.    :congrats     :congrats

So good to finally have an Aussie BOINC project after so long. :AUS:

Go, go theSkyNet POGS and remember  :rocks

Dingo

Looks like we are gaining very slowly on the #1 team since Dataman started crunching again in earnest.  With Cruncher Pete leading the Team in recent credit we have a chance at least to get to # 1 in the future.  We are holding our own and pulling away from number 3 Team n the world.

Team stats from POGS  http://ec2-23-23-126-96.compute-1.amazonaws.com/pogs/team_members.php?teamid=6&offset=0&sort_by=expavg_credit

World Rankings from Pogs  http://ec2-23-23-126-96.compute-1.amazonaws.com/pogs/top_teams.php

After the Radioactive sensor competition finishes I am hoping those resources will go back to this project ???

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Thanks Dingo. I have 40 of 80 running. I have some big medical expenses coming so will be a bit before I can get the other 40 going.
:AUS: :USA1

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dataman on November 07, 2012, 02:24:15 AM
medical expenses

We don't have those in Aus, but we do have really, really expensive electricity.  :faint:  Maybe it's a case of "swings and roundabouts"?  ???
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

LawryB

@Dataman.   Hope that which is causing the medical expense  passes without any problems.  I guess I don't really appreciate my free medical and dental uintil I see how much others have to pay.
Only another 40 cores to go, wow!!!
Oh yeah, add another couple of really(s) to Mike's comment about electricity.

JugNut

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dingo

All contributions to any of the projects is greatly appreciated.    If you have one to 80 PC's it is the contribution to science that is appreciated and if I sometimes give credit to those that have a lot I also know that having one PC is also a great contribution.

:AUS: :USA1:uk  and other countries,  So I say to all Team members large and small farms, lets  :dance2: up a storm and  :cheer1: for  :rocks and a big  :thanks1: from me.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Cruncher Pete

Now that I need not worry about the outcome of the sensor challenge and the sun has lost its effectiveness, I am putting all cores back on POGS.  Having said that, I am sorry to say that I will have a short period of absence (I hope) as I am being admitted to hospital on Friday for a heart Angiogram as two of my arteries in the heart are 75 and 50 % blocked.  Depending on the outcome of that they will carry out whatever is necessary to fix it in the short term like placing a stem in those arteries or schedule me for a bypass surgery.  So the bottom line is that if you do not see me around for awhile and my stats are 0 it is because I am in Hospital or in another world but I have not left the team

Dataman

Thanks much mates. It appears my eyes are not going to outlast me without an eye cutter. I'll be having double inter-occular implants over the next 4-5 weeks. They will be puting a new one in one and replacing an existing one that is starting to detach in the other. It is a routine procedure. What me worry? It is only ~$9,000 USD. Our health care system sucks. :thumbdown:
:panic:
:cheers:

Dataman

Quote from: Cruncher Pete on November 07, 2012, 05:10:33 PM
Now that I need not worry about the outcome of the sensor challenge and the sun has lost its effectiveness, I am putting all cores back on POGS.  Having said that, I am sorry to say that I will have a short period of absence (I hope) as I am being admitted to hospital on Friday for a heart Angiogram as two of my arteries in the heart are 75 and 50 % blocked.  Depending on the outcome of that they will carry out whatever is necessary to fix it in the short term like placing a stem in those arteries or schedule me for a bypass surgery.  So the bottom line is that if you do not see me around for awhile and my stats are 0 it is because I am in Hospital or in another world but I have not left the team
Best of luck mate. Clogged? You are not drinking enough single-malt Scotch.  :jester:
:AUS: :USA1

JugNut

@ dataman: Routine maybe, but scary as heck too i'm betting.   
Good luck anyway mate, even though i'm sure you won't need it.  Some of that medicine you prescibed for Pete's "clogged pipes" may help you as well :-)

@ Pete : Good luck as well mate.  You can tell us all about it when you get back home next week all safe & sound.   
And in case you hadn't read it... http://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?topic=1337.msg29555#msg29555  (err after your last post)

My thoughts & best wishes will be with you both.  ..JN..

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dataman on November 07, 2012, 05:33:04 PM
It is only ~$9,000 USD. Our health care system sucks.

You could always migrate to Australia, you'd only have to wait two years for your residency, then five years for elective surgery. A torn knee ligament is still considered elective. Idiots!!  :hbang:

Our health system still has a way to go yet, but the emergency care is great and freeeee. Hell, when my gut gave out I was in theatre 35 minutes after arriving at hospital, 30 days later (DON'T SPEND 30 DAYS IN A PUBLIC HOSPITAL!!!) they sent me home with a cleaner, free food and a nurse every second day. However, six months latter when I was "fixed/healthy" enough for the follow up surgery, my new wound started leaking in the hospital "departure lounge". I ended up in another public hospital as an emergency and it was fixed. No free home help though. I was pissed off about that.

Anyway, I hope both you and Cruncher Pete do really well and recover quickly. It all brings back memories that suck bricks and to be avoided if possible.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

WikiWill

Good luck with the work, Pete and Dataman.  Fingers crossed it is all smooth and good news at the end.

veebee

To both Pete and Dataman, best of luck guys, but luck plays less and less a role nowadays, as you said Data, almost "routine" procedures nowadays for both problems...

my Dad recently had a stent inserted Pete - no problems whatsoever...just wish he would get rid of the bloody cigarettes !!! coughs like... like a... like a man who has smoked way too many ciggies for way too many years.. but his brain tricks him into saying "Oh, Im 80, doesnt matter now..." Pffft - DOES matter to us kids and his Grandkids !

I think its almost time for a new build or an ugrade for me (a new build would be better.. and keep the then "spare i7" for AA's). More core power ! YAY !