News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, October 09, 2012, 11:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

We have a new badge in our signature.statseb.fr/  signature's.  As far as i'm aware your last badge you attained at theSkynet will now appear in our SIG's.

Good enough for me..  :thumbsup:

Crunch-on  :crazy

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

d_worms

:thumbsup: Excellent! Love it!!!!  :thumbsup:

kashi

Arrr, too much grog, me pirate badge be a bit blurry. Have to splice t' mainbrace for an Aluminium one. :jester:

JugNut

Avast ye survey boincer lighten ye background and stop drink'in the bilge water,  that'll do tha trick to stop ye seeing double.. yarrrrr   :jester:

My personal stat's

Dingo

I am not giving up, as just facing reality.  I still am crunching POGS but with other projects.  Yes the Team did really well getting to number one in the world and to keep it for so long was an accomplishment worth mentioning.  Crunch on and remember  :rocks

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Mysteron347

Quote from: JugNut on October 06, 2013, 04:37:32 PM
@ Dingo:   That's NOT good news about the possibility of  loosing our #1 spot at POGS.
I'm still proud of what the team accomplished to get to the #1 spot in the first place,  plus we still havn't lost it yet, so who knows?

Certainly. According to the Boincstats page indicated earler, they only pushed 400K more than we did (credit/day) - so per'aps zay 'av run out of ze steam. After all, every day they spend on chasing us puts them further behind in their other pursuits. They're out to 27 days to overtake and seem to be slowing. Not giving up the ghost yet...!

kashi

Now that USTL-FIL is finally ramping down from his 800k+ per day we may keep No. 1 for a bit longer perhaps until Astronomy.Ru Forum issues another Team challenge.biggrin

I was all POGS until a few days ago and now I'm splitting 50/50 with Asteroids. Asteroids hogs almost all the crunch time even with equal resource share so have to set it to No new tasks overnight. Missing my hired machines, they boosted my POGS credit by over 260k even though they were throttled to billy-o. :cry2:
Ah well, at least my 7790 is still folding like a little champion.:thumbsup: I would give it a run on POEM but that would suck too many CPU cores from POGS and Asteroids.

Quote from: JugNut on October 06, 2013, 11:18:43 PM
Avast ye survey boincer lighten ye background and stop drink'in the bilge water,  that'll do tha trick to stop ye seeing double.. yarrrrr   :jester:
Still looked blurry even when I had my light green background, which is why I tried black and switched from single to 2 line format. Some of the POGS trophies just don't take kindly to being reduced in size. May switch to 3 line format temporarily until my next badge. I prefer the compact size of single line format to help keep forum pages smaller but I suppose a slightly bigger sig doesn't make much difference.
Feel like I've been keelhauled today so can't manage any more pirate talk. ;D

JugNut

Quote from Kevin @ POGS. Today (9/10/13)
"
I'm in the throes of porting the F77 to C so I can move the code to a GPU.
"

Like most of us I can't wait to give this a crack,  but as mentioned here before it may not be a good thing for the team.  There's some massive GPU power out there,  but then again look what we have achieved so far with just CPU's.

Until the next call to arms at POGS  i'm going to crunch something else for a little while as  all my other CPU only work has been suffering because of much POGSing.    But "i'll be back".   In the end this race may well be won or lost in the GPU's me thinks.  Still early days yet of course. & where still in the lead.  The final winner.... POGS & ozzie science of coarse.   Any thoughts?

Crunch-on JN

@ kashi: Yep looks much snazzier now.  And no pirate talk? For the love of all thing holy.. why??? Arrrg.. :wink

My personal stat's

kashi

Well a GPU application should obviously be great for the project, there is just so much to process especially if they ever get around to analysing Hubble Ultra Deep Field and CANDELS images. That's even without considering the masses of data the SKA will produce if it ever gets processed in BOINC. So POGS needs all the processing efficiency it can get.

I sometimes have mixed feelings about a project moving to GPU processing though. When a project still has CPU applications as well, those get overshadowed by greater GPU efficiency and resulting better credit rate.

Also because some countries have much lower electricity tariffs than Australia, GPU applications mean we become less competitive in the team rankings in those projects.

On balance, although it's kind of an issue of national pride for an Australian team to be No.1 in the only Australian BOINC project, it is better for Australian science if POGS attracts the greatest possible number of worldwide BOINC contributors. Great if we could have it both ways but  there's too few of us compared to other countries for that and our power costs too much.

Even if we eventually lose top spot, our team has contributed a high proportion of available resources to POGS for a fair while now and that has helped spur other teams to contribute to POGS also, so we've all done an excellent job to help promote the only Australian project. :thumbsup:

The good thing is that you can support a favoured project on a GPU whilst still processing other projects of interest on your CPU cores. Hopefully POGS GPU application can be optimised to be reasonably sparing of CPU resources. I don't mind reserving a core or 2 to support GPU processing, but projects such as POEM and WCG HCC that require all my CPU cores to support GPU crunching most efficiently are a pain. Folding on recent AMD cards is fantastic in this respect, it uses almost no CPU at all.

The more efficient the GPU application can be coded and refined relative to the CPU application then the higher the credit that can be justified and this will attract more contributors. Any improvement in efficiency is good but still unfortunate to spend a lot of time and effort on a GPU application if it ends up a relatively unattractive turkey credit wise.

Overall though with the rising cost of electricity, much more efficient GPU and/or ARM type processing is a way to keep contributing into the future. Gets more science done more efficiently and after all that's the main reason to crunch even though competition adds some interest and enjoyment. If I need to reduce crunching to 12-16 hours a day in the future, at least with a GPU application running a fair whack of processing will still be done.

USTL-FIL has resumed crunching up a storm after a temporary lull but I'm still keeping half my resources on POGS for a while yet. biggrin

Yes my pirate can be seen now.
Prefer a smaller number of simple, easily understood badges rather than a multitude of badges for a project but I've just started WUProp again and checked their badge system.:shock
Never keen on time based badges rather than credit based as it doesn't discourage inefficiency but I understand the idea behind WUProp badges though to encourage crunching of less attractive projects and not just the higher credit or most favoured science projects.
Yarrr, no pirate talk because had a few rums watching the grand final so couldn't think straight next morning. :jester:

Dingo

Well said Kashi, I am still crunching POGS but other projects as well.  :cheer1:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

JugNut

Spot on kashi.  We need to adapt to change but as yet a perfect example of discount crunching (in decent amounts) dosn't exist.  Electricity is the only thing I could see stopping me from getting my crunch-on.  At the moment you could say i'm champagne crunching on a beer crunchers budget,  but so far the bills are getting paid.  While I love crunching real life must come first.   The thing that gets me is 98% of our power is coal based & we have more coal then we know what to do with but somehow we have one of the most expensive power rates in the world.  Anyway nuff of that.

Also that's one heck of a lot of CPU grunt those guys have.  On some days just one of there guys is able to out crunch our entire team? How?

More to the point how to we get some?   :wink

My personal stat's

tazzduke

When you come across computers/servers with anything up to 64 processors, well then there you have it, just think 64 jobs done every 3 hours (average) at 185 credits (roughly) equals 11840 credits and just say they run 24/7 thats 82880 per day (roughly) and if you have a two or three or four of these, then the numbers start adding up lol.

Happens across most projects, another one I like to do now and then (if there is any work available) is LHC Sixtrack, but the top 20 hosts on that one, are mostly 24, 32 and 48 processors, so it doesnt take long for the workunits to get swallowed up, even with there 4 wu per core limit.

Well anyways, will be keeping an eye out for the GPU work on POGS.

Regards
Tazzduke

PS.  Still got me Q8400 4 core running, but I have joined to many projects and will need to readjust my priorities lol

AA 24 - 53 participant

kashi

Yes as well as the multi socket computers with heaps of cores, there can also be individuals that own a business with lots of different premises. I vaguely remember a L'Alliance Francophone member a few years ago had a very large number of stores or garages or something and he used to run BOINC on them after trading hours and on weekends. He was a massive contributor to his team's BOINC effort.

Very little chance of a business owner doing that here with our high electricity tariffs, but for some patriotic French entrepreneurs with lower priced nuclear power then it is "Vive la France". biggrin

Probably a fair few of those multi socket servers as mentioned by Tazzduke are business machines too. Even on lower French tariffs you'd need a business to be able to afford the power to run a number of them full blast on BOINC plus they're expensive to buy too.

It's not only electricity costs that dissuade businesses from contributing but also the high cost and resultant more limited availability of network bandwidth in this country. 64 core servers downloading project files and tasks and uploading results can certainly suck a fair bit of a company's network resources.

This is something the National Broadband Network would have addressed for small and medium businesses but alas the profitable NBN fibre component is now about to be privatised, either directly or by stealth. Many will remain unaware that their future competiveness and profitability is about to be sold down the drain so that only a few profit as they prefer an invigorating massage of their xenophobia and the promised fool's gold of a lower corporate tax rate instead of an efficient, reliable low cost telecommunications network. Short sighted choice I believe but opinions vary.

Mysteron347

Well, les grenouilles are still gaining - albeit at a lesser pace. Currently outcrunching us by 70K/day and 109 days behind. Looks like I'm on POGS for the duration!

Dingo

They have dropped their crunching power, and so have we.  I am not on POGS 100% now but still using some cores for pogs.  I think at one time it was up to 25 days so we have a bit of a reprieve but still need to crunch some POGS. 

Radioactive@home graph