News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Competition for four sensors

Started by Dingo, October 25, 2012, 03:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

There is a very very basic spreadsheet here.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aje5lwZVzoGHdEc4Sm1GSzNiQWt6VS13dnM2TExzTEE
If anyone wants to improve on that they are welcome because I am :cry2:

I am very annoyed at the moment.  :pcwhack:  

I have been working on a new Virtual box of Centos6.3 making my own BOINC and radac application with a lot of help from the Project admin at radioactive@home.  I have also been try to move my web page over from Centos5 to 6.  BUT after more than 20 hours sitting at the PC tryin and trying and almost there the virtualbox got corrupted and I lost it all.  :compbash:

EDIT.  Changed the link as I am confused with this cloud stuff

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

JugNut

Yipe! I feel your pain Dingo & thanks for the chart.

While not in the same street as Dingo, Rossetta would not relent to over 24hrs of on/off pressure from me.  And since boinc wont even give me any more WU to try anything else thats, that.   The admins & mods seem to have deserted Rossetta so no help there so far.  So i'm down to one unstable PC for tomorrow's comp.

ahhh Boinc can be such a relaxing hobby.... :faint:

@Scott: Thanks Scott,  my 3930's been a beauty up till now & I don't believe there's anything wrong with it now either, just some bad config or registry setting that's sticking around like **it to a blanket.  All other crunching powers on, just no rosie on this PC.   Good luck with ya new beast. Cheers ..JN..

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

LawryB

@Dingo.  Ouch.  Maybe try Gibson Research Centre and see if there is anything there that can recover the lost stuff.

@JugNut.  I'll try Rosetta on my 3930 sometime today.  In the meantime you might be able to clean rogue entries out of your Registry with a free copy of Advanced System Care 6.  The MS uninstaller does tend to leave a lot of rubbish strewn over the place.
I use the freebie Unnstaller from ASC to remove any trace of deleted programs.

Cheers

LawryB

@JugNut

1/11/2012 7:09:53 AM | rosetta@home | Starting task Ccyst1_d7_0005_abinitio_SAVE_ALL_OUT_62568_2697_0 using minirosetta version 341 in slot 1
1/11/2012 7:17:43 AM | rosetta@home | Task Ccyst1_d7_0005_abinitio_SAVE_ALL_OUT_62568_2697_0 exited with zero status but no 'finished' file
1/11/2012 7:17:43 AM | rosetta@home | If this happens repeatedly you may need to reset the project.
1/11/2012 7:17:43 AM | rosetta@home | Restarting task Ccyst1_d7_0005_abinitio_SAVE_ALL_OUT_62568_2697_0 using minirosetta version 341 in slot 1
1/11/2012 7:28:20 AM | rosetta@home | Task Ccyst1_d7_0005_abinitio_SAVE_ALL_OUT_62568_2697_0 exited with zero status but no 'finished' file
1/11/2012 7:28:20 AM | rosetta@home | If this happens repeatedly you may need to reset the project.

Trolling through web posts and it seems this has been going on for yonks and may have started with version 7 of BOINC.  Everything has been blamed from cold coffee to global warming so its bye bye Rosie from me.

To quote you and Malcolm Frazer "Life wasn't meant to be Rosie"

Good luck mate.

JugNut

Good on ya Lawry & thanks very much for trying,  it's truly appreciated.  Your right mate life wasn't meant to be rosie,(easy) but wasn't meant to be bloody impossible either.

A mod finally answered today,  saying that my problem seemed the same as a huge pile of others & that reverting to version 6 of boinc could fix the problem.  The problem with that is going back down to version 6 from version 7 requires special steps & can have many problems.  I remember there's a guide somewhere.  Apart from that i'm pretty sure DistrRTgen, POEM & others now require v7 to be installed for there GPU apps to work at all & I use them all the time.  So its bye bye to Rosie from me too.  The Rossetta forums are full of people with the similar problems that are not very happy.

@D_Worms:  I hope you don't feel as i'm complaining about the competition as i'm most defiantly not.   I have already crunched some Rossetta in the past & was about to crunch some more anyway.   So I would have had the same problem with or without the competition.  So thanks again for the good jesture & if the Boinc gods don't have a sensor for me then i'm totally fine with that.  There's no point in being upset about what fate has in store.  I will crunch Rosie with the PC I have left as thats all I can do.

Good luck to all... Bring on the games

PS If Dingo would like to move all my posts an answers to them to say Rossetta thread that would be cool by me & would leave things open for just comp talk.  It's up to you.

My personal stat's

Dingo

New link as I am not used to the google cloud docs and needed to make another one:   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aje5lwZVzoGHdEc4Sm1GSzNiQWt6VS13dnM2TExzTEE

I will leave the thread as it is for reference if in future we wonder why so few took up the offer.  Hard to give things away for free.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

WikiWill

I'm up and running.  Luckily I don't have any newer machines so I miss out on the fun some of you are having! But I forgot how big the project was - 1.2GB disk space just to set up and get a few WUs  :faint:  Better check my download quota!!

Really bad luck there JugNut, and its sad to see you won't be crunching in this little comp but at least you did try your best to get it going. I hope the project can get itself sorted out before long.

Dingo, the spreadsheet link works for me.  Although are you missing a column for 2/11? I don't see it.  Sorry to hear about the VM. That is a real hazard with the virtual approach and I have been burnt too, when I mistook disk files for snapshots I didn't want and deleted the whole machine :(  Oh well I learned a lesson or two there  :cry2:

Cruncher Pete

OK.  I am not quite happy taking on a new project with a sensor that seems to create a lot of problems.  To star with, I do not understand anything to do with Virtual anything let alone clodes for it might produce unwanted rain.

I will stay in the competition butIi ask, can I give my price away to my choosing if I happen to win one of those prizes? :wink

Dingo

WikiWill  - good catch I did it when I was tired.  

Cruncer Pete -    The sensor will work straight out the box on a windows pc.   Just plug the radiation sensor into a usb port and it will start to beep.  Attach to the project and get a work unit.  Change you preferences to stop the beeping on the project.  On the Computer Page that you have attached place the sensor on the Map near where you live, zoom into the map so it is near you.  If you do not put the sensor on the map your credit is cut in half, not that you get much anyway.  There are Badges for this project but will take time to get them. 

Radioactive@home graph

veebee

Have been a bit distracted with a sick puppy (ALWAYS the top winning ones too..).

Is this opportunity still open ?

I will be happy to steer all I have towards Rosetta if it wil help B@A to continue to be one of the "top teams" in any manner whatsoever...

will await an answer regarding switching my resources over.

Screaming Eagle

I personally wouldn't say no to the sensor but I am sure that there are other people in the group that are more deserving than me.

Dingo

Too late the notice has been on the board since October 25 so Bad luck, sorry but the last day was the 31 Nov for nominations.

Radioactive@home graph

JugNut

Well it seems my race still has life left in it yet.  Being the competitive type I did some lateral thinking (or maybe I wasn't thinking at all).  I overclocked my unstable rig to record levels.  But instead of bringing to it's knee's like you'd expect it's now more stable, it seems it likes the extra voltage & loose memory timmings a lot.  Sure I could cook an egg on the side panel & the fans are screaming at near 100% levels but it's chewing Rossetta's like there's no tomorrow.   :yahoo:

Add that to the fact that I ended up getting credit for all the failed work units I did on the other PC.   Why?  Well it seems that application error's are classed as well the applications fault & not my PC's so 24hrs later you get the credit you would have got.(a least that's my understanding of it).   So if my luck holds out and my PC doesn't spontaneously combust I may still be in the running.  Who knew boinc could be so exciting?  biggrin

My personal stat's

Tin Man

Send some of that heat over here JN.

My central heating systems playing up and the temp outside only got to 6.5 degrees today.

Hope your computer all hangs together for the duration Best wishes Mike.

veebee

hmmm, maybe against competition rules, but seeing as I can no longer competer "for myself", I wonder would it be kosher to assign my rigs to someone elses accounts for the period of the "race"...?