News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by JugNut, April 07, 2013, 11:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

FYI: The FightMalaria@Home is coming to an end in a few months time..

This is a link posted by the admin on another subject but clearly shows there intentions to shut down the project then restart a new project called FightTB@home.  So if you like this project better crunch it now. 

http://boinc.ucd.ie/fmah/forum_thread.php?id=7&postid=543

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

kashi

Yes I saw that post recently when I started doing some FightMalaria@Home again. The assimilator mucked up a week ago so I had a look at the forums.

So yep, last chance for anyone wanting to contribute to this project. The tasks use little memory and are very short duration, about 1-10 minutes on my computer. They are single replication so no quorum requiring waiting days/weeks for pending. Validation is currently running about 8 hours behind. A 64-bit version of the vina application would possibly be a bit more efficient but what the heck, malaria is nasty so worth attacking regardless of the "bitness".

JugNut is currently crunching up a storm there, I have been doing some recently and a few other team members are currently contributing. Come one, come all, join us if you wish and give it a bit of a go before last tasks are called. :thumbsup:

Haha, reminds me of 10pm closing time at the Denison Hotel, the barman would come out from behind his bar and call out: "The bar is now closed, drink 'em up and move'em out". :jester:

Sean

I am not saying it is good news but it is nice to see a project that aims to tackle TB. I am being a bit selfish though because certain medications I take makes me susceptible to TB, lucky to live in Australia.  :thumbsup:  :AUS:

kashi

I've just switched to Sesef's optimised application.

Can't tell yet if it is any faster because the FM@H validator is 12 hours behind and the runtime of the tasks vary. However in this thread on overclock.net some report it is faster on recent CPUs.

I noticed there is also a Sesef optimised application available for OProject@Home. Know nothing about OProject, you would need to do your own research about the optimised application or just try it yourself.;D

There's a FightMalaria@Home team challenge starting at 4am on Thursday. Anyone interested in participating could ask Dingo to enter us if they wished.

JugNut

Nice find Kashi, I'd love to give these a try some time.  :thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes..

My personal stat's

Dingo

I might give them a try as well.  I joined the Team up to all the Challenges that were on BoincStats.  This project does not seem to have many tasks available for the Challenge though.

EDIT:  I had one task waiting for validation and it took 354 seconds to run and I have new ones pending on the same computer and they ran between 79 and 99 seconds so it seems to be a good increase in speed....

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Optimised app was mentioned by Finrond on the FM@H forum. Searched until I found it. Can't say for sure because of the varying task runtime but it certainly seems much speedier on my computer, the tasks are flying, have completed about 200 per hour since 5.20pm. ;D

Wasn't sure you could run both app_info.xml and app_config.xml at the same time but it is working fine on BOINC 7.0.64, so should work OK on any BOINC version 7.0.42 or higher. Must be only WCG that has stopped use of app_info.xml since 7.0.40.

Using app_config.xml to limit FM@H to 7 concurrent tasks because I've been running 16 BOINC cores on this 8 core computer to stop Volpex@UH hogging all the runtime while it does very little. Will drop to 12 BOINC cores now since I noticed a little contention when Volpex tasks run, they must use a bit more CPU than is reported.

Have had no trouble getting work except for the occasional database lockup, currently have 800 tasks in cache, this will drop to 600 with 12 cores instead of 16.

Thanks for entering us in challenge.:thumbsup:

LawryB

I'm on that as well, started last night.  No trouble getting WUs.   Got 1 valid and 1261 in PV jail.  2 invalids.  3 credits thus far for the 1 valid.  Times range from extreme zap on the I7 3xxx (3 cores) to about 2 mins on Q6600 (3/4 cores)

JugNut

A silly question I guess but which version do you use?

V1 says 5-30% speed up

V1.1 (the later version) says 5% speed up.

I tried both but & v1.1 seems to be faster but it's hard to tell?  Mmm maybe they mean an extra 5% over the old v1 app?  Anyone thoughts?

My personal stat's

kashi

I wondered about that too.;D

I'm using v1.1. I thought it possibly meant a further 5% improvement on v1.0. Wouldn't make much sense offering a newer 1.1 version that wasn't any faster than the original v1.0.
My setup gives very high credit rate on the shorter running tasks with v1.1.

My daily total has jumped up today to much higher than ever before but the validator delay has reduced from 13 hours to 6 hours so that would increase it. Judging by the credit rate on most tasks there has definitely been a decent improvement, I wouldn't be surprised if it is 30% faster or even more.:thumbsup:

JugNut

I agree mate,  I just installed v1.1 on my OC'd 3930k running 10 threads at a time & it just took off like a rocket !!! 

This could make for an interesting challenge,  as long as everyone hasn't upgraded to this app as well that is.  Either way could be fun.  biggrin

Thanks again Kashi.. + 1 karma for your trouble.

Anyone else going to give the fightmalaria@home challenge a go? Starts Tomorrow Thursday, 25 April 2013 at 4:00:00 AM Sydney time (18.00 UTC )

@Lawry: did you give kasha's opti app a crack yet?  Worth every penny.  :wink

My personal stat's

LawryB

Will be doing that very shortly JN.   Thanks Kashi and JN for your words of windom.  A brace of karma is in order. 

JugNut

Grrr completly out of work,  before the challenge has even begun...  Even if they get some work up,  it will soon get sucked dry by the challenge folk.

It seems muphy's law has struck again folks.   :boom:

EDIT: I guess there's a small chance there just giving the transitioner more time to catch up before the challenge.?   If that's the case there cutting it mighty fine.

EDIT 2: Thats what they where doing.  A little late but work is now available.

My personal stat's

kashi

Aha, wondered what was going on. ???

Noticed 12 Volpex tasks uploaded in overnight log "Hello, hello, what have we here then?" says I. With 12 BOINC cores only 6 Volpex tasks should run at once when another project is running. Running out of FM@H tasks would explain it. Yes indeed, another look shows out of FM@H work between 1.30am and 4.30am.

Good to have no pending for a change.

Thanks for the information.:thumbsup:

I see LawryB has revved up his engines and roared past me in the challenge. Well done. I've just set Volpex to NNW for the duration of the challenge to try and eke out a little more speed.;D

Good luck and good crunching to all FightMalaria@Home crunchers. v:

JugNut

Yep it looks like it's shaping up to be a great challenge with B@A being well represented.    At the moment with a few more arms & legs (err CPU's) we could catch the Scott's & be in with a good chance.  Heck the challenge is only a few hrs old & the first hour or so no-one had work.   Another thing It looks like (so far) the mega crunchers are leaving this one alone.

So.. if ya got em' crunch em"

:oz:

My personal stat's