News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by dyeman, July 29, 2013, 09:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyeman

I think I started using dummy plugs a while ago when NVIDIA cards had problems when there wasn't one installed - I just do it as a matter of habit now.

Never thought about the order of cards - is just random.  Looks like 3 have AMD card as the first card (assume this is the top card physically??) and one as the second (Folding Slot 00 and 01 respectively).  The two 7790s (just finished swapping the 6870 for the new 7790) are different (upper card in one,lower card in the other) and these are the two systems where I'm able to use the onboard intel graphics.  The new one is behaving exactly the same as the old one as far as the sensors displayed by GPU-z are concerned (card order doesn't seem to make any difference).

(.. and thanks for the welcome - it's good to be back!)

Folding Stats

kashi

Wow, what a little corker. So easy to install compared to those long, heavier cards and only one 6 pin power connector needed. At idle it's totally inaudible, at first I momentarily freaked that the fans weren't spinning. It's running a 7811 WU at 100% load, I can barely hear the fans and the case has no sides.  First frame took 2 mins and 57 seconds which is about 37K PPD. Next frame will be a little longer as it writes some data every 2nd frame.
GPU temp at 100% load is an unbelievable 45 °C. :shock
Maybe an 8900 WU will stress it a bit more.

GPU-Z 0.7.2 shows it using 50-58W but the GPU load sensor does not work. That doesn't matter, AfterBurner 3.0.0.1406 Beta 11 works for everything.

Thanks again for the recommendation dyeman. :worship

After years of overheating, noisy crunching cards this is like nirvana. Still can't quite believe it is crunching at 100% load in near silence. How sweet it is.

Game bundle is supposed to be BioShock Infinite + Far Cry Blood Dragon + BONUS: Tomb Raider but they are currently out of Far Cry Blood Dragon bundle so are sending Crysis 3 in its place.

JugNut

@ dyman:  Actually the place where I first read up on using multi vendor GPU's was a folding guide.  I just figured it would also work for boinc as well.  Mmmm for the life of me I can't find it anymore though.  It's good to hear folding is working well for you though.

@ kashi: Very nice indeed..   sounds like bliss to me to.   Mine are like a nest of angry bees.    Also one of mine make this weird poping or clicking sound that's realy disturbing & ramdom.  I've stuck my head inside the cases & still can't figure out where it's coming from.   Any way it's not pleasant at all.  My best guess is it's heating & cooling of the case or componants,  other than that,  who knows?    It does not make for a good nights sleep that's for sure.
Wow that's a nice game bundle kashi.   Lol almost worth buying the card just for the game bundle?  :jester:

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

tazzduke

Well greets to you all

Just did a complete reinstall of the Catalyst drivers, running 13.8 beta and got me a CORE 17 workunit plodding along nicely with no errors so far.

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

dyeman

Hey kashi - where did they mention game bundles?  Mine arrived yesterday also (ordered on the weekend) - nothing in the box or on the web site mentioning game bundle??

Folding Stats

kashi

It's on the top of the Video Card>PCI Express>AMD/ATI Video Cards page in a black box "Never Settle Reloaded" "Buy select AMD Radeon products and Get Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite Free*" "*See amd.com/neversettlereloadedoffer for specific terms and conditions."

The same black box is at the top of the Sapphire HD7790 Dual-X OC page.

This is for the Sydney store, perhaps the other Umarts don't have the bundle offer although that would be strange.  Or maybe they didn't have any keys left when you ordered last weekend and the offer wasn't on the pages then.

They were supposed to email me the key today, but didn't receive anything. Perhaps "tomorrow" on a Friday means Monday, I'll see then.

Nest of angry bees, haha. One angry bee is more than enough for me. Installing the card has quietened my hard disk too, flexing the case has altered the mounting and made the seek clatter almost silent.

kashi

Haven't had a single 8900 since I got the card, all 7810s and 7811s. Just curious if 8900s give the same 35-36K PPD. Will leave it folding for a few more days to see if it can snag an 8900 and then will try it on POEM for a while to see how it goes.

The team is sprinting up the charts. :thumbsup:

Received my 2 keys for the 3 games this morning. Never purchased from Umart before, they were excellent; good price, super fast despatch and delivery and prompt reply to my game enquiry.

tazzduke

Greets all

Got my first 8900 wu and its a monster for this 5850 but for you 7790s and such not so, been crunching for 12 hours and 12 hours to go lol

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

No Video Card delivered today  :thumbdown:  :cry2:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

LawryB

Mine either.  Bugger!!!  Oh hang on, I only ordered them 5 minutes ago.   Patience Lawry Patience

kashi

tazzduke - Yeh those 8900s take a while alright. Though not as long as a QMC task that finished today after 119 hours a crunching.:faint:

Dingo - Hmm, perhaps some Umarts are better than others, they had to transport it further or you were just unlucky with the day.

Sydney to Gosford is quite close but it depends on which courier as to how long stuff takes to arrive here. Near where I live often has a lot of traffic delay so some of the couriers especially the horror, the horror Toll Ipec hold stuff in their depot for many days until they have a load for my area. If you track one of these parcel hoarders you see the item go onto the truck every morning "out for delivery" but "unable to deliver" tracking message appears every evening or even worse, "no-one home, card left" message when you have been home all day and there is no card. All these shenanigans are much more likely earlier in the week.

Hopefully tomorrow will be Bonaire day.:thumbsup:

Lawry - Best wishes for a speedy delivery.:wavey2:

tazzduke

Greets Kashi

Ouch those QMC tasks really hurt, I did some lattice work recently that was quite close to that many hours.  Did a monster of a RNA task here awhile back, I had something like 750 hours clocked up, then bang gone, then I learnt about running the RNA tasks in a VM with snapshots which have gotten around the no checkpoint scenario.

Estimated credit for this 8900 is 14105, but that may drop or rise upon final calculations.

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

kashi -  Mine is coming from Brisbane I think Sydney ran out of stock.

I have a Primegrid Genefer CPU task that has been running for over 183 and is just at 73%.  It was up over 20 hours when I first saw it and so I let it un.  I hope it finishes in in the estimated 94 more hous and doen't crap out.  O hate it when that happens   :compbash:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

tazzduke - I remember doing some monster RNA units. No checkpoints on long units is very inconvenient and so frustrating if they crash. The main reason I no longer crunch RNA. Never lost one at 750 hours though, what a tragedy. That's a nifty idea using a VM with snapshots to provide an insurance policy.

I found the estimated TPF in FAHControl jumps all over the place on these WUs which mucks up the estimated ETA and credit so now I monitor folding with HFM.NET instead. It shows my EOC stats in the status bar as well.  

dingo - From Brisbane, that would explain it then. I remember when I lived in Mollymook, deliveries from Melbourne were often quicker than those from Sydney because they came more directly and didn't get delayed in a depot between Sydney and Mollymook.

Never done a Genefer task, I've been mainly crunching biology/medical type projects and POGS lately on the CPU. At least on tasks with checkpoints you can stop and reboot to install MS updates or change hardware. Trouble with that monster QMC task I had is that the checkpoints were up to 14 hours apart.

Folding is going smoothly, with a cool, virtually silent GPU and the folding client doing its thing uploading and downloading without error, you could almost forget it was there. Such a change from hot and noisy GPU crunching. Card hasn't gone above 46 °C so far, so unless 8900s run hotter this is great for card life and also should be no problem in summer. GPU-Z doesn't show VRM temps for this card, hopefully they are OK. The Sapphire Dual-X OC has a little heatsink on the VRMs which makes it better suited to folding than some other brands of 7790 which don't have that.

tazzduke

Hi all

About to claim team position 10, upon completion of this GPU workunit. 

Now the person who is in number 9, who has 201508 credits by the name of bunz, last did a workunit back in 2008, wow 5 years ago.

It will most likely for me to have to do at least 20 days more to claim that spot, I will most likely complete a couple more workunits to get to 100K, then go back to BOINC GPU for awhile, or maybe not.

We will see what the weather brings

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant