News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by dyeman, July 29, 2013, 09:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

Thanks for the info Dingo. Not sure it is worth the effort. I got up this AM and all 5 machines only had 2 wu's running (1 CPU & 1 GPU). Took a look at the logs and I got only 1 wu all night long so I will let them run 24/7 for now.

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Daniel on March 17, 2020, 07:32:32 AM
Hi Mike,

They've posted some more information on their website ...

Coronavirus – What we're doing and how you can help in simple terms
https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/coronavirus-what-were-doing-and-how-you-can-help-in-simple-terms/

I was planning on joining today.
:greet

Thanks for that Daniel, I get it now. They are using existing protein study methodologies to push the knowledge directly related to COVID-19 as best as they can tell. It makes it worthwhile to put through some work units.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

It appears the Law of Unintended Consequences has kicked in. The eagerness of so many crunchers to help out has pretty much choked them.  I only received 3 wu's today. I took DM04 down to install yet another Win10 update and a new GPU driver and when I brought it back up and tried to restart Folding it could not connect ... 5 hours later it still has not connected to their host. I tried some of their other IP Addresses but still no joy.

Lots of discussion in their forum.

https://foldingforum.org/

:bloodshot

tazzduke

Yep in the same boat, so have shutdown the GPUs for now.

AA 24 - 53 participant

Daniel

What Dingo mentioned earlier in this thread about it being easier to earn credit these days due to more powerful CPUs and GPUs is certainly true.

Today I passed Michaelvanderveeke in our team rankings and I'm now up to 7th position.

He has completed 7447 workunits.

I have only completed 80 workunits and have only been doing this project since Tuesday.

:holy-moly

I won't be catching up to our leaders any time soon though, especially Dyeman and Hurricane, who are both a long way ahead.  :worship

:gt

Edit:
I noticed there is another member of our team that has raced up the leader board even faster.
Brad_Adams only started 2 days before I did and is already up to 5th position in the team.
Well done Brad !   :congrats

And well done to Michaelvanderveeke too, 7447 is a lot of workunits !  :thumbsup:

Dataman

Thanks, Daniel. It is truly a credit to those of us around the world who volunteer to do this type of work.  :congrats

I have 3 machines on this project but still do not get much work but I am getting a little more than last weekend. I am starting to see a decline in the bandwidth I am actually getting vs. the amount I am paying for. As more and more people are working from home there are a lot more users on the one big ADSL "pipe" that serves my community.

Yesterday Karen and I took a little drive around our town. I swear it looks like a scene from some post-apocalyptic film. The streets, parking lots and businesses are all empty except those providing "essential services". We both had a laugh over liquor stores and cannabis dispensaries being considered "essential".  :rofl: 

Hang in there mates.  v:

Dataman

I received a lot more wu's last night. Encouraged by that, I brought up 3 more machines. Not sure I have enough bandwidth for 6 but worth a try.

I jumped up from 18th to 13th on our team. I cannot let Daniel have all the fun ...  :jester: .

v: :oz: v:

tazzduke

Here is a thought, what about seeing if the team whats to do a quick 7 day challenge race on Folding@Home.

Any thoughts, if not then crunch on whatever you are doing at the moment.

I am clearing out my WCG cache, then going to give Folding@home another try, which should be by this weekend.

Cheers to all who are throwing everything including the kitchen sink at it though.  :congrats01

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

tazzduke

Hi Chooka03

Thankyou for the link, what a beast of a setup, I know I wouldn't be able to run it, most likely blow my main board lol, hang on we have RCDs, so a massive trip out instead lol.

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant

kashi

tazzduke

I am off, I couldn't wait any longer, I have dropped my CPU cores down to 2 on each of the GPU machines, and yes I have 4 GPU's folding, managed to snag some work lol

Woohoo

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

Not sure what happened but last night I only received 1 wu. Perhaps they do maintenance on Sun. night or I was just unlucky.

Nice vid Chooka. Folding is getting a lot of Press. There was an article in the Sacramento newspaper Sunday but the reporter (clearly neither a geek nor a scientist) did a rather poor job explaining it.

I am keeping 6 PC's on it.

Crunch on ...

kashi

Box crashed last night. Idle until about 10 this morning. Then CPU slot task itself crashed and deleted itself. Was at 77% complete too. So I deleted the CPU slot as had picked up a GPU slot task by then. Cop that you naughty CPU slot! CPU slot does little work relative to GPU slot anyway and thought it may be more stable running just on GPU.

But no, then GPU task crashed. Rebooted and Folding would not connect. Reinstalled over the top of existing installation and it picked up the checkpoint file of GPU task at 20%. Picked up my name, team and passkey too which was convenient.

Fingers crossed it can keep on chooglin'.  v:

tazzduke

Well there goes the neighbourhood, no new work for the last 12 hours.

Time for a new direction.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant