News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by dyeman, July 29, 2013, 09:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Welcome to the 7790 fan club Lawry. ;D

I've ordered from Umart.  $155 + 2% CC surcharge + $11 delivery = $169.10 all up. Noticed not many stores have the Sapphire Dual-X model listed. Not sure if it's a new model or they've almost sold them all and are now trying to sell the Sapphire 2GB model as more stores have that one. 1GB model should use less power so be preferred for crunching. AU $ has dropped below 90c today and if it keeps dropping cards will increase in price so I'm glad I jumped straight in.

Dingo

OK I have jumped in as well and ordered one "Sapphire HD7790 Dual-X OC PCI-E 3.0 1GB GDDR5 2xDVI-I HDMI" card from Umart.  First new Video card in over three years I think since I bought the HD 5800 series cards with my newest PC's.  Money is tight but I need the speed of the new cards and they seem to be more economical ?

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

JugNut

Good luck with your new gear lads.  :thumbsup:    I'll be very interested to see how they perform.  Crunch-on..  :crazy

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

dyeman

Yes should use less power than the 5850, around half, and will crunch OpenCL much faster (except probably for Milkyway due to lack of significant double precision floating point).

Folding Stats

dyeman

Quote from: JugNut on August 01, 2013, 12:48:22 PM
Good luck with your new gear lads.  :thumbsup:    I'll be very interested to see how they perform.  Crunch-on..  :crazy
The Sapphire 7790  was doing around 550,000 points a day at Distrtgen before I moved it to Folding (using factory overclock).  The 7850 was doing aroundf 600K (this is a Powercolor basic reference design at stock clocks)

Folding Stats

tazzduke

I think its time to update the ATI drivers, still running a HD 5850 but on 12.4 drivers, I have had two failures on the CORE_17, which I think is down to the fact I should be on at least 13.4 drivers.

I read some have even had success with the latest AMD Beta drivers.

Who knows, but sometime over the weekend I will give it a go

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant

JugNut

Quote from: dyeman on August 01, 2013, 07:03:18 PM
Quote from: JugNut on August 01, 2013, 12:48:22 PM
The Sapphire 7790  was doing around 550,000 points a day at Distrtgen before I moved it to Folding (using factory overclock).  The 7850 was doing aroundf 600K (this is a Powercolor basic reference design at stock clocks)
Not bad at all..  actually quite impressive for such a small power footprint.   As you can imagine anything I could do to reduce my power bill from the lofty heights at the moment would be welcome indeed.  I guess it's a bit of a balancing act for all of us ,  trying to cut down enough for it to be affordable but still not so much as crunching not fun anymore. 

How does your mixed setup rigs go on folding dyeman?  I wish you could get those wattage figure's you mentioned in GPU-z from current cards as well,  now that would be interesting.

@Tazz:  I'm using the latest AMD beta's and so far they are working on every project I've tried them at.  Which is a change. :wink   Not sure about Folding though.

My personal stat's

Dingo

QuoteQuote from: JugNut on Yesterday at 12:48:22 PM
Good luck with your new gear lads.  Thumbs Up    I'll be very interested to see how they perform.  Crunch-on..  Crazy Dance

Seems like it will be a good upgrade from the 5850's I have.  I will leave them where they are and most probably put the new card in a PC that I have a GTX 275 in at the moment.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

kashi

I'm on Cat 12.11 on my 5870 running at default 870/1250 speed. I had a driver reset on my first 8900 but luckily didn't lose the WU. My second 8900 completed successfully though. I am now at 82% on a 7811, fingers crossed it will complete without error after another 80 minutes crunching. This 7811 WU runs slightly cooler than the 8900 ones on my card. Was only going to do one WU but the "finish" button didn't work properly so more were automatically downloaded.

Wasn't going to muck about with new drivers for just a few tasks but will be updating to 13.8 beta for the 7790 when it arrives hopefully tomorrow. 7790s would require a quite recent Cat version anyway I think and 13.8 beta has "improved stability for AMD Radeon HD 7790".

I really should have rebooted after the first driver reset but I have a monster QMC task that is only checkpointing every 10 hours and I never manage to catch it at a good time. All my other QMC tasks completed in 38 hours or less but looks like this one will take 100+ hours. I'm interested to see if it will complete but I've now set QMC to NNT.  Give it another go when they start exporting stats and have a forum.

dyeman

Quote from: tazzduke on August 01, 2013, 11:31:10 PM
I think its time to update the ATI drivers, still running a HD 5850 but on 12.4 drivers, I have had two failures on the CORE_17, which I think is down to the fact I should be on at least 13.4 drivers.

I read some have even had success with the latest AMD Beta drivers.

Who knows, but sometime over the weekend I will give it a go

Regards
The AMD APP code is the same level in the 13.6 beta as in 13.4.  There are also reports that 12.4 or 12.8 drivers are the best for processing core_16 WUs on earlier AMD cards (5000 and 6000 series), but you probably wouldn't want to run them anyway if core_17 works.

Folding Stats

dyeman

Quote from: JugNut link=topic=1507.msg32500#msg32500 date=1375366117}

How does your mixed setup rigs go on folding dyeman?  I wish you could get those wattage figure's you mentioned in GPU-z from current cards as well,  now that would be interesting.

No problems at all (at least none that I could attribute to mixed cards).  The client finds the cards and creates the appropriate slots without any fiddling.  

On my newest 2 systems I don't even use the two cards - the monitor is connected to the onboard graphics (one Sandy Bridge and one Haswell) and the two cards just have dummy plugs.  That way crunching doesn't interfere with computer use and vice versa.  I run without the desktop extended to either of the other two "displays".  On the system with the 7790, GPU-z doesn't pick up many of the sensors (no GPU load, fans, clocks, temperature) - really only the above-mentioned power use, voltage, and memory.  All of the missing sensors except GPU load are picked up if I extend the desktop to the card, but MSI Afterburner does pick up all of the other sensors either way so no big deal. (sorry that is not true - it only picks up all of the sensors for the NVIDIA card). Curiously, GPU-z displays all of the sensors on the other system set up this way (the one that has the 6870 - will be interesting to see what happens when it gets replaced with the second 7790).  I will try the 13.8 beta that arrived today and see if that helps.

Update: Just installed the 13.8 beta - no change to the above issue but no problems either.  AMD APP version is still the same as 13.4.  It did install a new MS Visual C++ redistributable library (x64) and .net 4.5.

Folding Stats

JugNut

Yea it's odd how some systems seem to need to have either a dummy plug installed and/or have there desktops extended (or both) or even extra lines in cc_config to enable crunching on two cards.  Personally I've never needed either on any of my pooters .  Tried extending my desktop as a trial to see if it helped in any way  but it didn't.  Also got the jack of continually loosing my mouse pointer on the extended screen  ;D   The only benefit I can see would be access to (in my case) the Nvidia control panel which won't open because it says there's no monitor attached,   but if I ever have the need I can just plug in a monitor temporarily.  Besides all functions I need can be controlled through Afterburner or the like.

I had a similar problem like yours with afterburner & GPU-z not working properly after installing a new AMD GPU,  the latest beta's of GPU-z & afterburner fixed the problem. (eventually)

Yes using the on-board GPU built into the CPU or MB is a great way to avoid screen lag and speed up crunching if only by a tad by not having the GPU to continually have to draw to the monitor while crunching.

Also have you tried using the Intel CPU's GPU to do any crunching?  I've seen a few trials lately & wondered if you or anyone else has tried it out?  And if it's worth it?

Can I ask what order your video cards are in?  I mean the way I remember reading & understanding it is that the AMD has to be installed in the first PCI-e slot for mixed cards to operate  successfully.(this is the way I have it)   But recently I seen someone recommend doing it the other way around.   I wonder with new cards, MB's & drivers if it still as important.    In my x58 board it would only work in that order.  AMD first that is.

Oh & good to see you back mate.  :thumbsup:

My personal stat's

kashi

Well I got my nice shiny new 7790 today, gee I'm a big kid, still pleased with new toys even after all these years.:jester:

Emailed Umart and they will send me a "key" for some AMD promotion games tomorrow, not sure what kind of games, the names sound like they're some kind of shooters. Haha, don't think I've played a full game since Doom II, maybe I'll give 'em a go one day just to see what modern games are like. From a little of what I've read on the OCAU forums, how realistic girls' hair looks is the most important feature of some recent games and card drivers. :crazy

Installed a newer Afterburner beta early this morning. Afterburner rudely rebooted my computer after asking to restart itself to enable unofficial overclocking, so seeing as that mucked up my QMC task checkpoint I installed Cat 13.8 beta as well.  Will install a newer GPU-Z  now, thanks for the tip JugNut.:thumbsup:

When I get a chance will install 7790 later tonight and then a folding we will go.v:

JugNut

Good luck with it kashi.   Yep nothing beats some new tech to put a spring in ya step.  :crazy   Make sure you keep us informed how you get on with it as you rocket up the folding leader boards.

And I think you'll be impressed with that game bundle that comes with that card if it's the one i'm thinking of?

:rocks 

My personal stat's

Dingo

Got an email from Umart today saying the Vid card is on the way.  I wonder if they deliver on the weekend, but I am guessing delivery on Monday.

Radioactive@home graph