News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Made my own Boinc client software tonight on Linux.

Started by Dingo, August 08, 2013, 11:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

I got my new HD 7790 and because my Windows I7 PC stopped working I started to install onto a new Centos 6.4 Linux Q6600.  When I installed BOINC it complained about missing files etc and the only one I could get to work was an old version 6 package.    So I decided that I would try and follow the Instruction to make my own BOINC software that fitted my pc libraries.  The following is what I documented, but it is still pretty rough.

Even tough I got BOINC to work I spent about five hours trying to get Centos 6.4 to recognise the cards without success.  I tried the ones from the ATI site but theyt would not load.  I tried the ones from elrepo.org (kmod-fglrx) but they didn't work either.  I don't think the elrepo package works for the HD 7790 as there is a seperate driver on the ATI site just for the 7790.

The following is what I did to create my own BOINC softwrae:   I was so surprised that it worked biggrin

QuoteI update Centos and then loaded the following packages from Centos:

git-all
make
pkgconfig
autoconf
libtool
openssl-devel
mysql-devel
gcc-c++
unzip
wget
libusb
libusb-devel
libcurl-devel
freeglut-devel
libXmu-devel
libXi-devel
libjpeg-devel
sqlite-devel
libnotify-devel

Inatlled wxGTK-deve from RPMForge.

I then did the following

Create a new folder and cd inside.
Download BOINC sources: "git clone git://boinc.berkeley.edu/boinc-v2.git boinc_repo"
cd into the folder that is created.

# run "./_autosetup", "./configure --disable-client --disable-manager", #"make". It will take a while.

Then I did the following commands

./_autosetup
./configure --disable-server --enable-client CXXFLAGS="-O3 "
make

Then

Check output for errors, if there are none, check the boinc/client directory and look for executables: boinc, boinccmd, boinc_client.

Then check boinc/clientgui and look for boincmgr

get the latest from BOINC page, unpack it and replace all the executables with the ones above.

Start BOINC.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Daniel Carrion

Hey Dingo

Awesome stuff. Shame about the graphics driver. Is it not loading the driver at all? I had some issues with BOINC recognizing my NVIDIA card on Linux, but that was permissions related.

I hope you get it working soon!

Cheers

Daniel

Dingo

The elrepo drivers are loading but do not recognise the card and the drivers from ATI do not load at all.  Sent an email to the elrepo mail list to see if they can help.  Maybe they can add the card to the existing one or create a new one just for the 7790 ?

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dingo

I gpt a cpu[ple of replies to the problem from elrepo and they don't have a driver for the 7790 but they did tell me what my problem was with the ATI driver.

I had kernel-headers loaded but not kernel-devel and once I installed that package I could run the driver from ATI.   This made a version of the driver for my PC.  Once that was done I had to change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.

Once that was done and a shutdown and re start performed the system recognised the ATI driver.  Looking in BOINC I only see one line that shows the card (CAL)  and not as in windows that shows the card as well as a line that shows (OpenCL).  I will have to look for something on the ATI site to load that I suppose ??

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

OK so I got the HD7790 Catalyst driver to work but can't find a OpenCL driver for it.    Folding and BOINC do not use the card because there is no OpenCL so I am back to the start.  Bashhead

I guess I am going to have to get my broken Windows PC fixed so I can install this card there.   Windows is so much easier than Linux but Linux sure keeps my mind busy but I am doing a lot of swearing :furious:

If anyone can find a link to OpenCL driver for HD 7790 for Linux 64 bit let me know..

Radioactive@home graph

dyeman

I thought the OpenCL runtime was included in the drivers, same as Windows.  As with Windows there are 13.4 and 13.8 beta drivers available

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English

Just noticed in the FAH Guide that it says driver must be 13.6 or later

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/linux-install-guide/

Folding Stats

Dingo

Quote from: dyeman on August 09, 2013, 06:09:48 PM
I thought the OpenCL runtime was included in the drivers, same as Windows.  As with Windows there are 13.4 and 13.8 beta drivers available

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English

Just noticed in the FAH Guide that it says driver must be 13.6 or later

The HD7790 has it's own driver for Linux and the normal 7 driver does not work. The latest driver in Linux for 7790 is "amd-driver-installer-radeon-hd7790-12.101.2.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip" I don't know if 12.101 is the driver number ?   I might remove the driver I am using and download the Beta driver from your link above and give it a go.  Try anything at this stage as it just isn't working the way it is.

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

I removed the old install ofdriver and installed the amd-catalyst-13.8-beta1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip.  When it was installed the system did not recognise the video card.  I will remove that one and install the HD7790 specific one again as at least that one loads the Cat driver.

Is there any projects that have ATI GPU work that does not need OpenCL ??  

Cheers

EDIT:   I found the link to get the SDK for Linux so I am downloading now (very slow) and will give it a go 

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/heterogeneous-computing/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/downloads/#one

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Quote from: dyeman on August 09, 2013, 06:09:48 PM
.....Just noticed in the FAH Guide that it says driver must be 13.6 or later

On the same guide it also says:
"Folding on AMD GPUs is problematic in linux due to poor OpenCL driver suppport from AMD, so GPU folding on AMD hardware is not supported at this time.  This could change at any time with a newer driver.  Linux GPU folding is still in beta testing."

If that guide is up to date it means you wouldn't get any FAH work on an AMD card in Linux even if you can get the OpenCL drivers to load. Or perhaps you could get work only with the -beta flag, not sure.

Edit: Apparently not even with -beta flag. I just found this post dated 24/7/13 on the Folding forum:

"AMD folding in Linux is not supported at this time. We're waiting for AMD to produce more mature Linux drivers. The internal testing team on IRC tested the Linux AMD edition of FahCore_17, and though it ran, so many crashes and weird issues happened that Proteneer pulled the plug on that for now. So now it runs on Nvidia and AMD cards in Windows, but only Nvidia cards in Linux. Go tell AMD to improve their Linux drivers!"

Dingo

I installed the SDK and now I have two entries in Boinc Manager so at least I should be able to do BOINC.  Folding still does not see that the card is there.   :compbash:

Need to get the Windows I7 machine fixed, I will take it in on Monday.

EDIT:  Collatz did not work and all the tasks blew up in less than 2 seconds.   I have Einstein running though and it looks like it will be OK ?

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

Went to pick up the PC today as it was supposed to be ready, it has been a week, and they hadn't even started on it.   :furious:

Radioactive@home graph