News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

How often is work issued?

Started by ONYX, March 14, 2009, 06:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONYX

Anyone? I can see there are a few B@A users for this project.

I signed up the other day - previously, this project was not allowing new participants.

The science for this one really interests me, and I would love to 'help' with BOINC.

2 days, and not one second of work has been issued.

Anyone have any info?

Wang Solutions

It varies a lot. There have been weeks or months with no work, but there has been a reasonably steady amount of late. The problem is the vast majority of work errors out, and those that do run often only run for a few minutes. The latest version runs for longer - much longer in fact, but the CPU time (on which the claimed credit is based) is often very understated, so that credit is very poor. You often have to wait a while to get it too.

It is improving, but it is still really only an Alpha project at this stage so don't expect much joy.

ONYX

Finally getting some sporadic work for this project :)

Very happy

A whopping 0.6 credit per WU

Im glad though that its cranking along - this project is one I have wanted for a long time!

Grey Shadow

Good to see you on this one too Onyx.

While the credit isn't much, the WU's don't take very long to complete.

Dingo

I am being bombarded by work at the moment and as they only take 25 seconds to run the network traffic is clogging up my connection.  I have PC's that I cannot connect to through BOINC Manager or BOINC View as they are locked up because of network traffic.  100's of wu in and out.

As I can't stop them I will just let it run. 

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Cruncher Pete

Quote from: Dingo on May 26, 2009, 12:14:37 AM
I am being bombarded by work at the moment and as they only take 25 seconds to run the network traffic is clogging up my connection.  I have PC's that I cannot connect to through BOINC Manager or BOINC View as they are locked up because of network traffic.  100's of wu in and out.

As I can't stop them I will just let it run. 

I had the same problem on my old ISP.  I overcome the problem by going to the menu "Activity"  button and selecting Network Activity suspended.  When I returned from work I reset the choice to Network Activity Based On Preferences one machine at a time so as not to create too many connections. This way you can upload /download everything at a time suitable to you. You might get a warning that  BOINC needs a Network Connection when something needs to uploaded or downloaded but that is no problem as everything will continue to crunch on regardless.

Vajras

Great suggestion CP - +1

Perhaps you may like to think of giving your reply a 'sticky' in the FAQ? It would apply to all projects?

Cruncher Pete

Quote from: Vajras on May 26, 2009, 05:06:53 PM
Great suggestion CP - +1

Perhaps you may like to think of giving your reply a 'sticky' in the FAQ? It would apply to all projects?

I will leave that up to the Information Officer. Nudge nudge Veebee...

ONYX

veebee

Quote from: Cruncher Pete on May 26, 2009, 07:51:18 PM
Quote from: Vajras on May 26, 2009, 05:06:53 PM
Great suggestion CP - +1

I will leave that up to the Information Officer. Nudge nudge Veebee...

no probs.. I'll fix that up ... but "not tonight Josephine..." .... went to the neurosurgeon today and just TALKING about what he wants/ is going to do, made me feel more sore .. and has wioed me out for the night...

Wang Solutions

I am having a bit of a problem with this project. Was getting swamped with work so set it to no new work quite some time ago. However, despite apparently processing lots of work, the amount left to do did not appear to be shrinking. On looking into it, I found that despite being set to no new work, and despite not requesting work each time it contacts the server to report results, IT KEEPS DOWNLOADING NEW WORK. I will post some of the message next time I get to that computer, but most recently it contacted to request no work, to report 32 results, and then got 23 new tasks. I did not think this could happen???  ???

dyeman

There was a case of this happening on SETI earlier in the year - there were apparently 2 separate bugs, one in BOINC client and the other in the BOINC Server.  Maybe he has a version of BOINC server that has this bug??

Folding Stats

Wang Solutions

Here are the messages:

27/05/2009 10:18:07 AM|Hydrogen@Home|Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.  Requesting 0 seconds of work, reporting 52 completed tasks
27/05/2009 10:18:53 AM|Hydrogen@Home|Scheduler request succeeded: got 23 new tasks

It is still happening too. I cannot stop the work coming in and it is swamping everything else!!  :boom:

Dingo

There server was down last night when I last tried to send work back.  I have one PS with over 1500 to return, I hope that they get back OK.  Bashhead

I will have a look at my messages when I get home as i am at work.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Cruncher Pete

There was a warning from Ageless the Forum Moderator/Developer on the 12th of May that we might have missed which should explain the frequent upload/download phenomena.

"A little warning for everyone. As I gather, Jack is busy with another run of work to be done, with really short tasks. We're doing a similar run over at DrugDiscoveryAtHome.com and it is affecting people's computers severely, as with the large cache settings, you can download lots of work.

At the same time these applications will run on all the CPUs you gave available, all those tasks run in under a minute, BOINC will do lots of uploading and downloading simultaneously. Due to this, the BOINC executable will start to run at 100% CPU cycles (due to all the network communications). This will in turn slow down your computer.

One way around it is to set a very low cache. Although even at a zero days connect to and additional work of 0.01 days, this can still be over 100 tasks in cache, especially on multi-CPU systems.

If you notice that your computer is getting sluggish, that your BOINC Manager is constantly telling you "Communicating with client. Please wait", then please set as low a cache as possible and try to run it out. Or run only when your system is otherwise idle anyway.

As to when this work will arrive, your guess is as good as mine. It'll be a surprise. ;-)