News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Updates

Started by JugNut, November 14, 2013, 10:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

Not exactly brand new news but I see GPU crunching coming to asteroids@home.   :dance:  didn't notice that before?

See link..  http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=131&postid=1913

Of course not available as yet, so it's just some more tempting news & another great reason to get a good GPU.  As far as i'm concerned any news about GPU app development is good news.  At least the app has already been built & is now being tested.

As I mentioned before in another thread AMD R9 290x & R9 290 next gen cards have been released as well as Nvidia GTX 780 ti's but unfortunately they all share one thing in common stripped down fp64 support.  Which of course is needed for the aseroid@home's app being tested.
Early looks show these new cards offer great gains in projects where double precision math is not a requirement(most of them), so it's not as bad as is sounds but it ticks me off that they cripple these cards on purpose so they can sell the un-crippled versions to industry & scientists as high end data center/workstation cards & of course charge them at 4 or 5 times the price for the privilege.  Both AMD & Nvidia do the same thing but AMD in the past didn't totally cripple them as badly as Nvidia did. (until now at least)   Any thoughts?     

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Daniel

The Asteroids@Home team have published a progress report (Progress Report #01 - September 2015) which talks about what they have achieved so far and their future plans ...

http://asteroidsathome.net/progress01.html

Dataman

I completely missed this paper when they published in July. Interesting. A link to the Abstract is here:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.02083

One can download the entire paper as a PDF at the top right.

:greet

Dataman

chooka03

Holy Moly...... Tim B has just added 3 x 2990WX to his crunching collection  :faint:
Someone have a lotto win?  :jester:

All these larger core CPU's is a real win for science and BOINC  :thumbsup:
Congrats on your new babies Tim  :worship They are a welcome addition to the BOINC@Australia family  :rocks

Daniel

Yesterday the admin announced that they have released a new CUDA application ...

New CUDA application for Windows x64 Release

What's improved?

- We've Added support for latest Compute Capabilities (CC). Application was built with latest CUDA SDK v10.2 adding support for latest NVIDIA devices with Compute Capabilities (CC). This build supports CC 3.0, 3.5, 3.7, 5.0, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, & 7.5 from Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal, Volta & Turing architectures and their GeForce, Quadro, NVS and Tesla series, but does NOT supports Tegra and Jetson SoC Series devices (CC 3.2, 5.3, 6.2 & 7.2) which are not subject of interest for this project.

- Fixed issue with special Light curves which has more than 1000 points.

There is more information here ...
http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=791

Dataman

New paper from Asteroids. Tough read but one can look at the pictures Figures.  :wink

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2010.01820.pdf

:greet

Mike Mitchell

AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

FYI, the site is back up but the feeder is not yet running.

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/server_status.php

Hopefully they will release work soon.

:fingers

shift

everything is go (except the certificate has expired, that being said they haven't even announced they are back in action)

Dataman

Quote from: shift on February 17, 2021, 07:35:17 AM
everything is go (except the certificate has expired, that being said they haven't even announced they are back in action)
Yes, they seem to be back. I finally reported the 7 wu's on two RPi's that were stuck there since they blew up.

I got about 40 GPU wu's today but all are in the PV jail. I think the validator is not running.

I hope they got a better server rather than fixed the inadequate one they had. Strange they have not announced anything but they have never been very communicative.

shift

Yes, they are notoriously bad at communicating, and their servers always fall over, at the moment the servers page lists the hosts as
project1: IBM x3550 M4 (1 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.00 GHz, 96 (12 x 8) GB RAM (1333 MHz) 8 x 600 GB IBM SAS 10000 rpm (RAID5) OS Debian Jessie)
project2: IBM x3550 M4 (1 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.00 GHz, 64 (4 x 16) GB RAM (1333 MHz) 3 x 600 GB IBM SAS 10000 rpm (RAID5) OS Debian Jessie)
I'm not sure if they are new or if they are the same ones they have been using for a while.

I'll start back on asteroids after the boinc stats challenge with quchem.

Dataman

Quote from: shift on February 17, 2021, 01:24:34 PM

project1: IBM x3550 M4 (1 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.00 GHz, 96 (12 x 8) GB RAM (1333 MHz) 8 x 600 GB IBM SAS 10000 rpm (RAID5) OS Debian Jessie)
project2: IBM x3550 M4 (1 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.00 GHz, 64 (4 x 16) GB RAM (1333 MHz) 3 x 600 GB IBM SAS 10000 rpm (RAID5) OS Debian Jessie)
I'm not sure if they are new or if they are the same ones they have been using for a while.

These are the same processors & RAIDS and the same antiquated version of BOINC for the website. Looks like they just fixed what broke. A missed opportunity in my never-humble opinion.  :wink

shift

Dataman

Agree. What I do not know is if that information comes directly from the server or just text entered on the server status page. I would post the question on their forum but they seldom respond to such questions.