News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Docking Problems

Started by Dennis, August 06, 2010, 03:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

I have stopped running Docking on the laptop I have with me in Canada.  The WU's run past the 100% mark and just keep running till they are killed.  I let some go for 17 hours, so I am not running the project any more.  I will run be running RNA World for the AA as I am still in Canada and won't be back in Aust till mid Sept.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Ian BBB

Quote from: Ian BBB on August 29, 2010, 10:29:55 PM
Just wanted to report that I'm having having the same problem as Denis with a desktop PC running Windows 7 on an Intel E5300.

A follow-up. I tried running up Puppy Linux on this same machine and ran Docking successfully. There was some weird behavior though; Both the "elapse time" and the "time to complete" would count up at the same time while the "% complete" remained frozen. At other times the display would freeze and changing to another window and changing back would update and re-animate the BOINC display. One thing though, no re-starts.

This shows that at the basic hardware is OK and it something complex. More to come.

regards
Ian BBB
If Faraday can do it, anyone can.

WikiWill

No problems here on an E8400 (Win 7 & Win XP) or T5300 (Win 7).  Slow, but they work.  Good luck sorting out that issue tho.

Scott T

My E6750 (x64 Win7) was fine, however after my recent upgrade to a Q9505 I didn't have any successful workunits - tried every now and then for the last two weeks but every single one was sitting at 0% after 6+ hours. 

Out of curiosity, set up an x64 Ubuntu VM, and that hasn't had any issues (even managing to snare a few short high-pay WUs).  So for the AA, I'll have two VM cores on docking, one real core on another project, and the last core to keep the VM, Windows and the GPU all happy :)

AA 15 - 30, 32 - 41, 43 - 45

i7-3820 @ Stock 3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX660 Ti, Win 8 64bit

Rob

It's strange how many people are having problems ???. I've been running it trouble free for years on various combinations of cpu & OS
Currently run it on a Q9550 on Win 7 64bit, and Q9450 on Kubuntu 10.4 64 bit, & recently had it running for a few days on a build I did for my sister, Q6600 on Win 7 64 bit.

teemac

I've been trying for a couple of days to sign up, but no work coming thru at all.

My existing projects caches (Simap & QuantumFire) are just about out of WU's for me, so if Docking doesn't sort itself out in the next 5 or 6 hours, I will have to give it a miss for a few days and reload my existing projects caches. I go into hospital for some cancer stuff early Thurday and might be locked up for the weekend.

Will try again when they release me next week.

WikiWill

Work is coming through for me.  I've picked up 20 WUs in the last hour on my Win 7 box.

teemac

Work now coming thru OK - must have heard us complaining  :yahoo:

BF

I'm also having major Docking problems..  All the WUs run fine on my Vista machines, but on the 64bit Win7 boxes I am getting 0% progress, and the WUs will just keep running and running.. Cannot find a solution on their forum, so I think I will have to detach with those machines.. (a Q9550 and a Q6600).

Agnew

I was getting the occasional bad compute on my i7 running 64bit Win XP, but it seems to be behaving better after throttling the beast back by 10%,,, fingers crossed :)

kashi

If you were getting the occasional bad compute it was possibly the batch of very short running 1hsg1dif tasks that were granting 102 credits. I think a fair proportion of those were erroring for everyone regardless of their clockspeed. I know I was getting 10-20% errors on that batch but other batches run with only a very occasional error on my computer. I didn't mind, the generous credit granted for the runtime more than compensated for the large number of "Compute error" experienced.  ;D

That was a different problem than some who are using Win 7 with pre Nehalem Intel CPUs who cannot complete any tasks at all because they keep restarting and so stay at 0% complete. From reading on Docking forum and experience of members here that problem affects only Win 7. Win XP, Linux or Linux on a VM appears to be unaffected.

Agnew

It may have also been the "25% active cpu usage" setting in Boinc 6.10.58 whilst using other programs that contributed to the problems I experienced. I hadn't noticed THAT setting when I'd updated Boinc before starting on Docking. The lesson being READ through ALL of the setting after an update! Silly me. 

I'll be stay on Docking longer than the official AA anyway, as I'm still doing DDM work as well, to keep the wolves at bay and hopefully get up to the million mark over there.