News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

NEW (Nov 2014) GPU app

Started by JugNut, November 22, 2014, 06:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

A new GPU app is being trialled at POEM on their test server.  This one is showing great promise & has high GPU usage unlike all other past GPU apps. 
I tried a few on a HD 7970 and they were taking under 5 mins to complete with 96% GPU usage running just one at a time. For an openCL app they use very little CPU resources also (0.8 cpu cores) and in reality use much less than that.  While the production app will probably be longer it's a good start.
Please give some a try & see how they behave on your GPU. 
If there's a problem leave a post at POEM so they can start to work on a fix & Let us know here also if you like.

The new app is talked about on the home page.  http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/
As before you'll have to attach to http://int-boinctest.int.kit.edu/poem/ to try the new guys out.

PS Hopefully they will finally fix this bug once & for all but for now it seems the old openCL/ POEM problem is still in play, IE the new app still won't run on two Nvidia cards at once. An exclusion will be needed to be set in cc_config file in boinc data directory. ONLY applies to people with more than one Nvidia GPU in there systems. People with 1 GPU or 2 or more AMD cards or 1x AMD & 1x Nvidia cards should have no problems.(touch wood)

PSS. At the moment app is throwing computation errors on my GTX 970's :(

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

LawryB

Thanks JN.  Will try the R9 290X and a couple of 7850s and see what happens.

JugNut

By the sound of it the new app is highly optimised for the latest GPU's so those cards especially the 290x should do fantastic.  :crazy (err again touch wood)

Best of luck mate. Let me know how they go?

My personal stat's

LawryB

Worked a treat with the 7850s.   About 8 mins per WU on I7 9xx, 97% GPU usage, 5% CPU with WIN 8.1 and Afterburner running.  Temp 62C (GPU) 42C (CPU).
Will swap out a 970 for the 290X later today and give that a whirl (on the "Beast").

JugNut

Good stuff Lawry.  Did you try your GTX 970?

My personal stat's

Dingo

I created the Team on the Test site and downloaded one task to try on my GTX 750ti

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

LawryB

Quote from: JugNut on November 22, 2014, 09:47:08 AM
Good stuff Lawry.  Did you try your GTX 970?

Not yet, clearing GPUGRID stuff first.   Will try a solo 970 then an 970 with 290x

@Dingo.  Thanks, wondered why I couldn't find B@A

Edit.  Corrected card numbers

kashi

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

First one took 10 minutes on my 7790. :jester:

Hmm, task size must be variable, second task only took 3.3 minutes.

Hurricane

I don't usually run gpu work, first time I try one on the 980 and it computation errors strait away.  :boom:

Primgrid or Gpugrid seems to run fine.
https://valid.x86.fr/f3pegw
AMD Ryzen 7950X3D @ 4193.54 MHz, 1x Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 4080 SUPER.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ 3391.91 MHz, 1x NVIDIA TITAN X PASCAL. (Retired)
Intel Core i7-5960X @ 3498.56 MHz, 1x NVIDIA TITAN X PASCAL. (Retired)
Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4513.26 MHz, 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590. (Retired)
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 4000.47 MHz, 1 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra. (Retired)

JugNut

@ Kashi: Hi kashi, your right there's seems to be 2 or 3 different sizes.  I guess they're still trying to figure out how much work to pack into each WU?

@ Hurricane: Yea the same thing happened to my 970's.   Odd considering they mentioned that the work units work well on NVIDIA Maxwell's hardware on the front page. 

I also tried the new WU's on a GTX 670 it ran but it took about 22mins and it made the screen almost unbearably laggy.  Anyway not to worry still early days yet  i'm sure they'll work it out sooner or later.  It sounds like there planning some nice science which is great to hear.

My personal stat's

JugNut

New POEM GPU & CPU app's launched today.  As far as the GPU app goes just running 1 x GPU WU the load is high at about 95% on my HD 7970's.  So little can be gained from running 2 at once & nothing extra from running 3 at a time. While credit is a bit over double what it was.
There are about 3 or 4 different types of WU but the ones i've tried so far have taken between 34 -36mins & give betwwen 8400 - 9100 credit but I think there are bigger ones about. YMMV

Have fun..

My personal stat's