News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Installing Raimsters opt apps for CPU/ GPU

Started by veebee, March 20, 2009, 11:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

I'm sure that is the problem. GPUGrid wu's are very GPU intensive and don't allow much OC. Failing for many reasons is usually a sign of a clock problem or a failing card. That is why I recommend NOT to get factory OC'ed cards. They work great for gamers but not for cruncher that run them 24/7. Sorry mate that I keep forgetting that is a Linux box.  Bashhead I'm old and senile.  :rofl:

veebee

Its the only linux box ATM....

I went to install Win 7 on it last night, but my oldest son has misplaced the install disc BF sent me... and the downloads are "over" now for the RC.

I do have the file downloaded.. but have tried so often to burn it with constant failure... might have to  work out how to check the file with the md5 checksum or whatever it is, tose if its OK, then try burning it again, but Im sure something's gone wrong while downloading...

Have set the 9600 back to 660 and 910 to see how THAT goes... maybe I should actuallt go even lower and work my way up...

but I am actually interested in giving SETI a whirl now... as this card is sooo slooow at GPU grid compared to the other two.

Dataman

I think that is a wise move veebee. GPUGrid has always been "unfriendly" to cards below 9800GT with their short return times and "Bonus credits" for high-end cards.

If you were not half a world away I'd send you a Win7 64-bit disk. I have had sooooo many CD/DVD burners fail. Over time you get a bt of dust on the laser and they go "wonky" ... is that the right word?  :rofl: I'm learning Aussie.  :jester:

EDIT: BTW my response time to Australia is like an 800 BAUD dial-up modem tonight.  :hbang:

lionel.heron

veebee

did you extract the files from the v10 package...

Lionel

veebee

Lionel - I cant even find the package.. can only fin AP and Multibeam apps etc.. nothing mentioning CUDA or GPU.

BF

Quote from: veebee on August 25, 2009, 11:51:09 PM
Lionel - I cant even find the package.. can only fin AP and Multibeam apps etc.. nothing mentioning CUDA or GPU.

You can find the linux CUDA package here, at the bottom of Crunch3r's first post..

veebee

well, I extracted the files, copied the lib files to /usr/lib64 as it says to, restarted the client and get the same thing I did last tiem I tried this...  libcudart.so.2 and libcufft.so.2  can't be found/ dpownloaded or whatever...

Also are the app_info.xml and the cuda xxxx.gnu file , "for" anything? do they need to be put somewhere? nothing is mentioned about them . . . .  

or is the whole setiathome-CUDA folder supposed to be extracted into one of the seti folders?

Have tried a number of work arounds.... but these two files seem to be the problem.

EDIT: I attached my i7 to SETI (was only attached to AQUA an s GPU grid) and it immediately got what it needed etc and began crunching CUDA WU's...

so I detached my Ubuntu box from SEtI,  shut the client/ manager down, then restarted and attached to SETI... but it syas there is no work available for the applications I haveselected, please check setting on the website, and neext request is met by " no work sent".

why doesn't Linux SETI just "do it" like windows does...?

BF

Quote from: veebee on August 26, 2009, 02:12:19 PM
EDIT: I attached my i7 to SETI (was only attached to AQUA an s GPU grid) and it immediately got what it needed etc and began crunching CUDA WU's...

so I detached my Ubuntu box from SEtI,  shut the client/ manager down, then restarted and attached to SETI... but it syas there is no work available for the applications I haveselected, please check setting on the website, and neext request is met by " no work sent".
why doesn't Linux SETI just "do it" like windows does...?

When you detached and reattached the Ubuntu box, it would have deleted Crunch3r's app.  So it would have tried to download the "standard" apps from SETI.  And since SETI does not support Linux CUDA, you would have got that message..

I got SETI Cuda working on Ubuntu once, but I remember it being a pain to set up..

Put all the files from the download, including the app_info file into the SETI directory in BOINC.

The missing libcudart and libcufft files can be downloaded from the NVIDIA website.  You need to download the CUDA toolkit, the missing files are in one of the folders in the toolkit..

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

veebee

Thanks BF... looked promising for a minute there...but every WU errorred out as soon as it started, which is what has happened the couple of times I have gotten WU's to download.

No message as to WHY in the message tab, just says "work finished for task xxxx".

This sux...

BF

On your results page in SETI, what does the 'stderr out' say for those errored out results?