News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Tin Man, July 31, 2015, 08:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazzduke

Not in the least interested as I have two computers up and running just the way I like them.  Maybe down the track I will most likely flick over.

Its good to read the updates on fellow crunchers who have done the switch and providing some tricks and tips to ensure smooth sailing.

Regards
Tazzduke.

AA 24 - 53 participant

Sean

Quote from: Dataman on August 23, 2015, 11:59:22 PM
...On the other hand, "Edge" (the new browser) is HORRIBLE!!! It exists only to collect user data so Microsoft can sell the information. I stopped using it and went back to IE.  :panic:

Ah that's interesting, I wasn't aware until now that Windows 10 had a new browser, sounds kind of dodgy. I think I'll stick with my Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.  ::)  :thumbsup:

dyeman

I have updated all 4 machines now.  One system simply would not upgrade - Windows Update stopped working on this machine a couple of months ago and I gave up trying to fix it.  Ended up reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch then doing the upgrade which went OK.  On two systems the Win 10 upgrade failed part way in with an error trying to update the hidden system partition.  Apparently not enough space - I followed the instructions in the following link and after that install worked fine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3a6znd/we_couldnt_update_the_system_reserved_partition/

I never used IE so haven't tried Edge - long time chrome user.

Other than that it is changed a bit but mostly the same functions are there.  Desktop Gadgets are gone (I used to use the CoreTemp gadget) but fortunately there is a free download on the net which reinstates the functionality and it seems to work just fine (DesktopGadgetsRevived).

I haven't had any issues at all with BOINC or GPU crunching.  I've had a couple of cases where Windows has detected an NVIDIA GPU driver problem and decided to reboot (probably a better alternative to hanging!) but otherwise I think it is more stable.  I have 4 machines sharing one keyboard/monitor/mouse/speakers via a KVM switch,  WIth Win 7, sometimes a system not currently connected to the monitor would not come back alive when switching to it (may have been still crunching though).  This doesn't seem to happen with Windows 10.

Not being able to control Windows Update is a pain.  I don't like not being able to decide what video drivers I want to install.

On 3 of the 4 systems, FAH stopped working on the AMD GPUs after the upgrade (FAH can be quite finicky in detecting CUDA/OpenCL).  Eventually I had to swap the slots in which the video cards were installed to get it working (it was sensitive to the order in which AMD and NVIDIA cards were installed - swapping them fixed the problem).  This is not ideal since the cards were better cooled the other way around but at least it is working.

Folding Stats

kashi

Quote from: jave200372 on August 23, 2015, 08:53:17 PM

I know you won't like this answer but have you looked on ebay?  You may find a non-dodgy seller of Windows 8.1 at a cheaper price....

I bought Windows 8.1 Pro on eBay from someone in Spain. Price was only €13.90, which would imply dodginess but seller had over 99% positive feedback from over 100 buyers. Key worked fine and activated. Saved me about $90 and I got 8.1 Pro instead of 8.1 Core, so thanks very much for the tip to try eBay.  :thumbsup: +1

Don't know about Windows 10, but not too impressed with Windows 8.1 so far. Finding programs seems a very awkward process unless you use search. New computer build took too long and too busy crunching, haven't got the time or patience to get used to it fully or tweak it to be better. Will just install Classic Shell or something so I can work with it more easily.

At least with a legal Win 8.1, I'll be able to upgrade to Win 10 sometime in the future. Hopefully Windows 10 is better than 8.1, but I'm not upgrading yet. Haha, annoying Windows Update repeatedly keeps trying to install Windows 10 nagware patch KB 3035583, even after I repeatedly mark it hidden. Microsoft must be super keen for everyone to upgrade to Win 10 ASAP.

Mike Mitchell

Kashi, can you post or PM the contact details for that supplier? I'd like to upgrade mine, particularly to 64 bit, from Vista 32.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

JugNut

*LOL* I PM'd kashi about the same thing. Hope he's got plenty ;)

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

tazzduke

Greetings All

Well I gave Win 10 a go on all 3 computers at home, and now I am going back to Win 7.

A few issues that bugged me were, the privacy issue, the forced downloads of updates (PRO version you can schedule) with no option to unselect.

Maybe in a year or two it will be okay, but until then am staying on Win 7

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

Updated my laptop to Windows 10 and works fine except no driver for the camera, which I don't use.  I had to go back to Windows 8.1 on my PC because the network stick no longer worked so not changing over anything else.  The laptop had Windows 7 Home Premium so the premium version of Windows 10 must have been loaded as I can schedule updates.

What is a pain is that msconfig no longer governs what programs starts on boot.....  I am sure there are other things but that's all I have found.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA