News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Installing BOINC

Started by Neil G, September 16, 2015, 05:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil G

I've always had trouble installing BOINC on any computer that had a previous version on it.  Either I've had to wipe the computer clean or install it on a new one, (no problem there).  After BOINC has downloaded, the install quits while running, stating it can't find a required file (boinc.msi ??) that it needs, though it is the file just downloaded.  This has occurred on a number of computers with different Windows operating systems over the years.  Anyone have help to offer with this?

Neil

Dataman

I have not had that exact problem but have had it stall before. I now make sure I manually shut down BOINC before I install a new version. A couple of times I have needed to uninstall BOINC and then load the new version but then you lose any work in progress. Good luck.

Dingo

Not had any problems recently.  Used to have a lot on window so I know also shutdown the client from boinc manager before install the new version.  On Linux I have had a bunch of problems that makes the ones on Windows look easy.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

tazzduke

Greetings Neil G

Sorry no problems here, I also do a manual shutdown before I do an update of the BOINC.  Are you running it as a service??  Otherwise I am not a bit helpful at all lol.

Linux, yeah I use to have problems, but once I understood what I was doing and what I needed to do before installing it, then no problems.

I would love to swap all my 3 computers over to LINUX instead of WIN 7 (I aint going anywhere WIN 10) but family so addicted to OFFICE and anything Microsoft lol.

Regards
Tazzduke

P.S.  Might put the HTPC up on LINUX when I get some free time.  Ummm that could be awhile away lol.

AA 24 - 53 participant

JugNut

Quote from: Neil G on September 16, 2015, 05:51:14 AM
I've always had trouble installing BOINC on any computer that had a previous version on it.  Either I've had to wipe the computer clean or install it on a new one, (no problem there).  After BOINC has downloaded, the install quits while running, stating it can't find a required file (boinc.msi ??) that it needs, though it is the file just downloaded.  This has occurred on a number of computers with different Windows operating systems over the years.  Anyone have help to offer with this?

Neil

This article in Boinc FAQ's may have what your looking for.  http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=119

I've seen this fix work before for others. Apparently the problems is not with boinc but with windows.  Hope it helps.

PS Hopefully only the first 2 Steps should be all that's needed with boinc v7.x.x.

PSS More info here.. http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=76160#1604773

Neil G

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I'll work on this problem when I get over frustration with the bloody  :furious: Windows 10, which I do NOT recommend.  While it functions OK in most areas, it is hardly helpful when a problem comes up.  Thanks again for all your help. 

Neil