News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Last night I was researching powered hubs recommended for Gekkoscience USB miners. You need hubs that provide high power to be able to overclock them very much at all. More power than is needed for Block Erupter types I think.

Many (most?) powered hubs don't provide sufficient power for multiple overclocked Gekkoscience miners. The USB 3 one that had the highest recommendation that I saw was the Superbpag 7 port 70W one. However once again ran into the "doesn't post to Australia" roadblock everywhere. Same with the Plugable 7 port 60W, which although I didn't see recommended anywhere for Gekkoscience miners should also be suitable.

There's a few suitable USB 2 type available to Australia such as Anker and Plugable.

For cooling them I read the Arctic Breeze Mobile USB fan was recommended in a few places. I suppose the gooseneck makes it easier to position.

Dataman

Quote from: kashi on May 27, 2016, 09:36:42 AM
Last night I was researching powered hubs recommended for Gekkoscience USB miners. You need hubs that provide high power to be able to overclock them very much at all. More power than is needed for Block Erupter types I think.

Many (most?) powered hubs don't provide sufficient power for multiple overclocked Gekkoscience miners. The USB 3 one that had the highest recommendation that I saw was the Superbpag 7 port 70W one. However once again ran into the "doesn't post to Australia" roadblock everywhere. Same with the Plugable 7 port 60W, which although I didn't see recommended anywhere for Gekkoscience miners should also be suitable.

There's a few suitable USB 2 type available to Australia such as Anker and Plugable.

For cooling them I read the Arctic Breeze Mobile USB fan was recommended in a few places. I suppose the gooseneck makes it easier to position.
Hey kashi! Thanks for doing the research on the powered hubs.  :worship I found the Anker but the Superbpag looks to be superior. I tried the USB fan Karen gave me but it did not move enough air to do anything noticeable. The Artic Breeze looks to be more robust. Heat has not been a problem though as it is cool enough to touch but as I add more something like that might help a lot.
Everything is still running great. I watched it do a million credits in the time it took me to eat lunch.  :dance:
I do not understand the no shipping to OZ ... it is not like you're on Mars or a Jovian moon.  ???
:AUS:
Edit: Just checked an it looks like I will get the Antminer U3 63 GH tomorrow. Then look out as I attempt warp speed.  :rofl:

kashi

Quote from: Dataman on May 27, 2016, 11:31:26 AM
....Edit: Just checked an it looks like I will get the Antminer U3 63 GH tomorrow. Then look out as I attempt warp speed.  :rofl:

Haha, we cannae take much more of this Captain. :jester:

Dataman

Quote from: kashi on May 27, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
Quote from: Dataman on May 27, 2016, 11:31:26 AM
....Edit: Just checked an it looks like I will get the Antminer U3 63 GH tomorrow. Then look out as I attempt warp speed.  :rofl:

Haha, we cannae take much more of this Captain. :jester:
:rofl:
Shields down and all power to the warp engines Scottie!
It's out for delivery.
Edit: Got it, installed it and it is running 20+ GH at warp 4.  :dance2:

kashi

Scottee: Aye Captain, deuterium crystals are installed in warp drive. Remember, Mr Spock must install Vulcan Zadig software.

Spock: Such an oversight would be embarrassingly illogical Mr Scott. Live long and prosper!

Dataman

I can't get this one to work. Have tried both 1.6 and 20 GH projects and multiple ports. They never complete and one ran 10+ hours last night. Can't think of anything else to try. :angry:

kashi

I thought you may have forgotten to run Zadig hence my previous post.

Only thing I can think of is to uninstall Zadig and try installing it again.

I found this about how to install WinUSB driver with Zadig, perhaps the Antminer needs a different installation method to the Gekkoscience stick:

On Windows, the direct USB support requires the installation of a WinUSB driver (NOT the ftdi_sio driver), and attach it to the chosen USB device. When configuring your device, plug it in and wait for windows to attempt to install a driver on its own. It may think it has succeeded or failed but wait for it to finish regardless. This is NOT the driver you want installed. At this point you need to associate your device with the WinUSB driver. The easiest way to do this is to use the zadig utility which you must right click on and run as administrator. Then once you plug in your device you can choose the "list all devices" from the "option" menu and you should be able to see the device as something like: "BitFORCE SHA256 SC". Choose the install or replace driver option and select WinUSB.

Hope you can get it working.

Dataman

I finally got the antminer working on 1.6 GH... sorta. Will not run 20+ GH yet but will work on it later next week. It seems to lose contact sometimes but I just need to unplug it and immediately plug it back in and it starts going again.  ???

Excellent F1 race in Monaco this morning. Indy 500 next then Coca Cola 600 at NASCAR.
:greet

Dingo

I just ordered a GekkoScience USB Compac BTC Miner (8-16 GH/s @ 0.3w/GH). *SIDEHACK STICK* for $59.95 CAD from http://bitcoinware.net/, also has free shipping in Canada and ships overseas I believe.   The Blurb on it says it has same chip as the AntMiner S5    http://bitcoinware.net/collections/frontpage/products/gekkoscience-usb-compac-btc-miner

I believe that I can connect it to my Raspberry PI 2 as Bitcoin supports Raspbian for some of their sub projects.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Glad you got it working Dataman. :thumbsup:

I had read U3s go "zombie" and need to be replugged every day, so you're not alone there.

More the merrier, Dingo. Pi + Gekkoscience will be a super efficient beast.

Yours will probably arrive before mine, it's been to oodles of different places in New York and now has just left Dubai, haha. Must be some some Irishmen working at USPS because it went to Rochester twice. "Why?": "To be sure, to be sure."
Stuff from Amazon sometimes came via Hawaii when it was mentioned, this is the first parcel I noticed via Dubai. It's probably a common route to Australia for USPS now, just never seen it before.

Departed   Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES   May 30, 2016 1:40 am
Departed   New York, UNITED STATES   May 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Arrived   New York, UNITED STATES   May 28, 2016 10:05 am
Processed Through Facility   ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)   May 27, 2016 5:54 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility   JAMAICA, NY 11430   May 27, 2016 10:22 am
Arrived at Facility   ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)   May 27, 2016 10:22 am
Arrived at USPS Facility   METRO, NY   May 26, 2016 6:05 am
Departed USPS Facility   ROCHESTER, NY 14606   May 26, 2016 5:23 am
Departed USPS Facility   BROOKLYN, NY 11256   May 26, 2016 4:59 am
Departed USPS Facility   ROCHESTER, NY 14606   May 26, 2016 1:47 am
Arrived at USPS Facility   ROCHESTER, NY 14606   May 25, 2016 10:09 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility   BINGHAMTON, NY 13905   May 25, 2016 8:54 pm
Shipping Label Created   BINGHAMTON, NY 13905   May 25, 2016 5:47 pm
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS      May 25, 2016

chooka03

Our miners are in the same shipment Kashi :)
Tick tock, tick tock.

Dataman

Greetings mates! I thought you might want an update. I now have 4 Geko's and 1 Antminer running. One of the Geko's is flaky and stops working about every 30 minutes. If I unplug and replug it works for about another 30 minutes. I am sending it back and replacing it with another Antminer. The Antminer that is running is awesome and does a wu every minute or less.  :shock The Geko's do one about every 4 minutes. I have not tried to run the 20+ GH on the Antminer again but will try again when I have some time.
Yesterday I did 74 million credits at BU  :boom:
I started some Einstein on one machine for the AA. I will not be participating at WCG for this one.
Tomorrow we start a major construction project here. We are having our 900 sq ft. redwood deck demolished and a new one built. The existing one has served me well for 30+ years but is dangerously rotten.  We are excited and Karen has already ordered new deck furniture.  :rofl:
v:

chooka03

Hi Dataman,

LOL..... you have the BU bug by the looks!  biggrin 4 Geko's and and Antminer. Well at least you can cut down on your heating bill in winter with all that gear! Still, there's room for improvement mate. I see the daily leader for BU pumps out 3.9BILLION/Day :shock :boom: haha

Deck sounds nice mate. I'd love to see some pics once its done.
For a laugh..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMkEfuWZHM

Dataman

JugNut

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...