News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

Did you try different USB ports?  If so and still not working then suspend all remaining tasks and unplug the ASIC.  After that then go back and start a task with the ASIC still un-plugged then after a few seconds plug it back in. I've heard this can sometimes trigger proper detection.

If still nothing then it looks like you need a visit to the BU forums for this one unless anyone else has some ideas.

Good Luck

Dataman

Ok, now I am really confused. I just completed 3 wu's in 8 minutes. All were valid for 30K credits EACH. Must have been the port. I will take success wherever I find it. :dance2:

Now they seem to be completing in 4 minutes. Will look at their stderr after dinner.  :mwalk:

kashi

Well done.  :congrats   :congrats

I noticed some of the people purchasing USB stick type miners on Amazon also purchased powered USB hubs. Perhaps the amount and or variability of power/connection from USB ports on a computer sometimes causes problems which a powered USB hub helps avoid. In other words, you may not be the only one with instability due to computer USB ports.

Your success has inspired me. Found a place that ships to Australia, shipping is a bit expensive at US$24.95, but price is a bit less at US$39.95. That's about AU$90 total unless Oz peso has wilted again since I last looked 10 minutes ago, haha, so I grabbed one. Don't know how long it will take to get here, it's "International Priority Mail Flat Rate", whatever that means.

http://holybitcoin.com/product/gekkoscience-compac-bm1384-stickminer/

Dataman

Quote from: kashi on May 25, 2016, 11:07:25 AM
Well done.  :congrats   :congrats

I noticed some of the people purchasing USB stick type miners on Amazon also purchased powered USB hubs. Perhaps the amount and or variability of power/connection from USB ports on a computer sometimes causes problems which a powered USB hub helps avoid. In other words, you may not be the only one with instability due to computer USB ports.

Your success has inspired me. Found a place that ships to Australia, shipping is a bit expensive at US$24.95, but price is a bit less at US$39.95. That's about AU$90 total unless Oz peso has wilted again since I last looked 10 minutes ago, haha, so I grabbed one. Don't know how long it will take to get here, it's "International Priority Mail Flat Rate", whatever that means.

http://holybitcoin.com/product/gekkoscience-compac-bm1384-stickminer/
Good find kashi!! Actually that is about $5 less than mine with free shipping. That is identical to mine and now we know it works. Mine now averaging 3 min. Spot on on the powered USB hub. I have my eye on this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Power-Adapter-Control-Switches/dp/B0051PGX2I?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I can see a 12-stick array in my future.  :rofl:

"Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess".

kashi

12!!! Go to town.  :crazy
Not sure if that hub you've picked is suitable. At end of product description it says: "This hub is not recommended for ASIC bitcoin miners"

Dataman

Quote from: kashi on May 25, 2016, 12:03:02 PM
12!!! Go to town.  :crazy
Not sure if that hub you've picked is suitable. At end of product description it says: "This hub is not recommended for ASIC bitcoin miners"
Ooops ... was only a dream anyway.

I think the one installed and the U3 on order will satisfy my curiosity about mining. Fun day today though.  :wiggle:

JugNut

That's the way DM things are looking much better now.  :thumbsup:

chooka03

Gee great find indeed Kashi!
I scoured the web and came up with zilch but you found that which is amazing. I thought the world had sold out!

I decided to grab one too seen as A)BU won't have any work for my GPU soon and B) Well...you guys are all jumping on the bandwagon :)  :rofl:
This works well with my ethos anyway. I like to support Milkyway @ Home so I can use this miner for that on BU and it will free up my GPU for M@H tasks.

I'm a bit concerned about my ability to get it to work even with all the great posts you guys have placed on this thread but I'll do my best and I'm sure you guys won't mind walking me through it if I get stuck. Somehow I got the cc config to work for M@H when I bought my R9 390 so hopefully I can do it again.

I too will just live with one miner but can see how people would want to buy more and more.
Goodluck guys! and thanks.

chooka03

[quote

It should look like this....

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>
</options>
</cc_config>

Just copy & paste & it should be fine.  No hurry I guess at least your up & running and besides the <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> is only rarely needed but still better to be safe than sorry.
[/quote]

Sorry to ask a silly question but in my cc_config file (notepad) I can see where it starts with <cc_config> then down the page <options> so do I insert all the rest after the <options>? Basically copy & paste -

<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>

Is that all?
I know nothing about computer language.
I don't have a ASIC miner but I'm just trying to get my head around it.

I'm assuming we only run the 333MH & 1.6GH tasks.... Is that because these miners we are using are sub 20GH?

Thanks guys.

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on May 25, 2016, 05:46:01 PM

It should look like this....

<cc_config>
<options>
<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>
</options>
</cc_config>

Just copy & paste & it should be fine.  No hurry I guess at least your up & running and besides the <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> is only rarely needed but still better to be safe than sorry.

QuoteSorry to ask a silly question but in my cc_config file (notepad) I can see where it starts with <cc_config> then down the page <options> so do I insert all the rest after the <options>? Basically copy & paste -

<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>

Is that all?

I'm assuming we only run the 333MH & 1.6GH tasks.... Is that because these miners we are using are sub 20GH?

Thanks guys.
You already have it figured out. I'll help you wherever I can but everything I know about mining I learned in the last 72 hours.  biggrin  Big thanks to JN for keeping me on track.  :worship I bet you an OZ dollar that you will be running within 2 hours after your miner is delivered.  :thumbsup: The only thing I still have not figured out about my install is why it worked on one USB port and not the other one. They are both the same. I put a fan on mine and it is cool to the touch. 7 million credits in <24 hours is amazing too.  :shock
Yes, you can run only the projects that are the speed of your miner. I set up a separate profile (work) for just the miner projects I want to run. If I want to run CPU & GPU's I use the default profile and the Work profile if just want to run the miner.
Good luck mate.
v:

chooka03

Thanks Dataman.
Yeah I feel for all those people who went out and bought heaps of expensive GPU's to mine bitcoins. They've wasted their money imo.
As I said earlier, my $500+ GPU does less than 2Mil/day.

Imagine how hot your bedroom/study would become with a heap of these USB miners running! 

JugNut

Sorry to ask a silly question but in my cc_config file (notepad) I can see where it starts with <cc_config> then down the page <options> so do I insert all the rest after the <options>? Basically copy & paste -

<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>

Is that all?

Thanks guys.

Hey chooka sorry for the late reply but if the <option> section is already in your cc_config then just place it anywhere under it,  just not in the <log_flags> </log_flags> section.

Just copy & pate this bit only. 

<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>

As the <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> is only used for people with multiple GPU's, and since you only have one GPU you don't need it. I's mainly for people with different types of GPU cards that have different performance levels as sometimes boinc will only use the most powerful card it finds and wont use anything else. So that line forces all cards in the system to be used. I'm not sure if it's still even needed with the latest boinc builds?  But it's still a good one to remember, just in case boinc doesn't play nice when you get multiple GPU's.

As Dataman has already said you must choose campaigns under the GH limit of your ASIC.  Since yours is specified 11GHs you can only do work units under 11HG/s. Actually maybe just do the 1.6GH stuff as it gives considerably more credit than the 333MH work units do.

Good Luck

chooka03

Thanks very much for the clarification Jugnuts :)

Dataman

I have turned off all the CPU & GPU's at BU. The single ASCI miner seems to be doing ~12 million credits/day.  :faint:
I am going to build one of these ... someday.
http://blog.whitesites.com/blogs/large/Bitcoin-Mining-USB-ASIC-Block-Erupters_635096703980791015.jpg
but knowing me it will end up looking tike this.  :rofl:
https://uswaterborneimporttrade.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/bitcoin-mining-equipment-copy.png?w=576
v:

JugNut

Putting in a cracking pace there Dataman.  :thumbsup:

By gees thats quite a mess they got going on there in that second link.  A better idea would be If you had an old tower with lots of CD ROM slots laying around then you could fill them with something like this.......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/InLine-Front-Panel-for-the-DVD-enclosure-5-25-13-Fold-USB-2-0-Hub-Black/152101718413?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D637300b6932544d29e428777d791c7fc%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D161858188602

Much neater and should have enough power as it runs off the PC's power supply.