News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

Hey Dataman, your Antminer U3, does it require a PSU unit to run? Same rectangular plug that PC's use?
Sorry let me rephrase that...I'm curious to know how they are powered? Obviously there's the USB connection for data but is there a separate power lead that pugs from the wall, into a power brick then into the U3?

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on June 01, 2016, 06:32:49 PM
Hey Dataman, your Antminer U3, does it require a PSU unit to run? Same rectangular plug that PC's use?
Sorry let me rephrase that...I'm curious to know how they are powered? Obviously there's the USB connection for data but is there a separate power lead that pugs from the wall, into a power brick then into the U3?

Hi Chooka. Yes the Antminer comes with the miner, power supply, cable from the power supply to the miner and a USB cable. You have to supply the power cord from the wall socket to power supply. This is the same cord used to power a PC PSU or a monitor.

My deck is gone.  :shock It was there when the sun came up and gone by lunch time. Today they start pouring piers and repairing some dry rot on the sill of the house. Materials were delivered yesterday so I have a huge mountain of lumber, concrete and railings in the front drive. The dogs are confused because the back door is now a meter above their heads.  biggrin

v:

chooka03

Ah. Thank you DM :)
I'm sure your deck will be looking good as new in no time.  :mwalk:

chooka03

Quote from: kashi on May 30, 2016, 11:42:53 AM
Glad you got it working Dataman. :thumbsup:

I had read U3s go "zombie" and need to be replugged every day, so you're not alone there.

More the merrier, Dingo. Pi + Gekkoscience will be a super efficient beast.

Yours will probably arrive before mine, it's been to oodles of different places in New York and now has just left Dubai, haha. Must be some some Irishmen working at USPS because it went to Rochester twice. "Why?": "To be sure, to be sure."
Stuff from Amazon sometimes came via Hawaii when it was mentioned, this is the first parcel I noticed via Dubai. It's probably a common route to Australia for USPS now, just never seen it before.

Departed   Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES   May 30, 2016 1:40 am
Departed   New York, UNITED STATES   May 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Arrived   New York, UNITED STATES   May 28, 2016 10:05 am
Processed Through Facility   ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)   May 27, 2016 5:54 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility   JAMAICA, NY 11430   May 27, 2016 10:22 am
Arrived at Facility   ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)   May 27, 2016 10:22 am
Arrived at USPS Facility   METRO, NY   May 26, 2016 6:05 am
Departed USPS Facility   ROCHESTER, NY 14606   May 26, 2016 5:23 am
Departed USPS Facility   BROOKLYN, NY 11256   May 26, 2016 4:59 am
Departed USPS Facility   ROCHESTER, NY 14606   May 26, 2016 1:47 am
Arrived at USPS Facility   ROCHESTER, NY 14606   May 25, 2016 10:09 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility   BINGHAMTON, NY 13905   May 25, 2016 8:54 pm
Shipping Label Created   BINGHAMTON, NY 13905   May 25, 2016 5:47 pm
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS      May 25, 2016

Gez mate, Love it how once our items reach Australia they seem to drop off the radar :/
I can only imagine that I might get mine tomorrow??? What state are you in Kashi?

kashi

I'm at Point Clare, NSW which is near Gosford.

Got mine today from the postman. Not bad, 8 days from the US, for AU$34 delivery for such a small packet you'd hope for some speed.*

Delivered   AUSTRALIA   June 2, 2016 12:33 pm
Processed Through Facility   AUSTRALIA   May 31, 2016 5:43 pm
Departed   Sydney, AUSTRALIA   May 31, 2016 7:06 am
Departed   Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES   May 30, 2016 1:40 am

Hope you get yours soon.

Meanwhile, joined the team and Thunderbirds are go, cooking with gas. :thumbsup:

These little buggers run hot, grabbed the heatsink to check and yeeouch!

The little purple light that flashes is brighter than a disco strobe too.
Cue KC and the Sunshine Band: That's the way, ah-huh, ah-huh, I like it, ah-huh, ah-huh.  :dance2:

*Much better than the duallie motherboard I bought from Germany at the start of April. What was supposed to be a 1-2 weeks delay turned into an 8 week delay. They just posted it yesterday and so far it has gone from Obertshausen to Saulheim, haha. Was positive it wasn't going to come at all, so haven't bought a PSU or memory yet. Will probably get an EVGA 850 P2 PSU, would prefer a Titanium model but they are too expensive. 

chooka03

Ah, Im in QLD so maybe tomorrow for me. No update since the 31st.

I'm a bit worried about how hot these are. Mines going to be plugged into the back of my mobo and nearly touching the wall. Hope it doesn't burn my house down. :thumbdown:

kashi

I'm using a USB extension cable with mine. Cable came with a Corsair USB stick. Case has USB ports on the top at the front so just got it hanging down past the front of case for now.

Will have to work out how to block the light somehow without making it hotter or the bright flickering will drive me crazy when trying to sleep. Found a spare 120mm fan, don't think wires are long enough though to reach motherboard. I've got a fan wire extension but will be hard to find as it is in a box somewhere.

Dingo

I am still waiting for mine to start it's journey.  It was a long weekend in the states last weekend so nothing happened till Tuesday.  It has just turned over to Thursday (00:40hrs) here and my miner is in Toronto, ON Canada so only 4500 km to go to get to me.....

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

Quote from: kashi on June 02, 2016, 05:37:30 PM
I'm using a USB extension cable with mine. Cable came with a Corsair USB stick. Case has USB ports on the top at the front so just got it hanging down past the front of case for now.

Will have to work out how to block the light somehow without making it hotter or the bright flickering will drive me crazy when trying to sleep. Found a spare 120mm fan, don't think wires are long enough though to reach motherboard. I've got a fan wire extension but will be hard to find as it is in a box somewhere.

Bit of blu tac maybe? My wife hates the blue LED on my sub woofer and made me put blu tac on it.  :blush1: You know who wears the pants in this household.

I have a couple of USB ports at the front but sounds like this thing would be a heat hazard for my 3yr old.

Can't believe how quickly Dataman has gone from Zilch to nearly 400Mil!! :boom: He'll need a widescreen monitor soon to fit in all the numbers at that rate. 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

kashi

Ah some blu tac, not sure about that, I'll work something out.

I hooked up the spare fan and used an additional USB cable to extend even further. Green light comes on but won't mine at all, seems that 2nd cable can't pass enough power even though it works fine to transfer ebooks from my computer to my mum's Kobo reader. Put it back on the original cable and away it crunched again. Fussy on the USB power these Gekko sticks.

Hope Dataman isn't using BOINC 7.6.9, it stops showing Bitcoin Utopia credit properly after it gets up somewhere in the billions. Something about using 32-bit and showing commas in the figure.

Dataman

Nothing but bad luck for me.  :furious: I got the 2nd antminer and device manager in Win 10 will not recognize it as a USB device. Worse, the first antminer stopped working. Now two if the Geko's are flaky and have to be replugged every few hours. The other two are rock solid. No time to work on them.

It will be 40C here today so I only have two machines running. We are thinking of going to the coast while they finish the deck. Much cooler there.

:hbang:

kashi

Yep, bad day for hardware. I actually bought 2 Gekkoscience sticks, seeing as the postage was the same for 2 as 1. Been mucking around with the second one for an hour or more now and it just won't go. Activity LED gives a few white flashes as though it is about to do something, but it doesn't do any work at all. DOA. Ah well, at least it was only $55.

The other strange thing is when I blow a fan on the working one, it sometimes is unable to be detected correctly so can take 10 minutes or longer for a task. When I let it run scorching hot with no fan, so far it runs without trouble and never takes more than 5 minutes per task. ???

Dataman

Quote from: kashi on June 03, 2016, 02:23:26 AM
Yep, bad day for hardware. I actually bought 2 Gekkoscience sticks, seeing as the postage was the same for 2 as 1. Been mucking around with the second one for an hour or more now and it just won't go. Activity LED gives a few white flashes as though it is about to do something, but it doesn't do any work at all. DOA. Ah well, at least it was only $55.

The other strange thing is when I blow a fan on the working one, it sometimes is unable to be detected correctly so can take 10 minutes or longer for a task. When I let it run scorching hot with no fan, so far it runs without trouble and never takes more than 5 minutes per task. ???
Yep, I feel for you mate. The Dataman Mine is closed for repairs.  :furious: One Geko is dead and one is unstable. Two are working good. I got windows to finally recognize the antminers, installed the driver and device manager reports them as working OK. However the wu's run but time out after two hours after apparently doing nothing.
For once I agree with Karen that I am spending too much time on this. She packed our bags, I put the top down and we are going to the coast for some cool breeze and ocean view.
:jester: When the going gets tough, we leave town! :jester:

chooka03

Oh boy........ I'm glad I've only bought the one USB miner.
I couldn't justify the cost on spending more money on such a specific piece of hardware.
Have fun DM.  :AUS:

Dataman

Getting ready to go to dinner in town. We are here:
http://www.greywhaleinn.com/
Listening to the surf is much better than listening to power saws and nail guns.  :dance: Much cooler too.

On the drive over here it occurred to me that the Gecko miner is a perfect example of the Schrödinger's Cat Physics thought experiment. The Gecko is alive and dead until being observed as alive or dead.  :wink Score one for Quantum Mechanics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

:cheers:

EDIT: @kashi: Power screw?   ???