News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

@ kashi: Thanks,  and thanks for the geography lesson mate.  Your right I looked at Jamaica but didn't notice the NY after it.  After seeing Dubai, as one of the parcels destinations Jamaica didn't seem to far fetched.  That's an interesting story though.   
I currently live in a suburb named Rooty Hill, now there's a set up for a non PG history lesson if ever i've heard one?

@ Dingo: Yea I bought a 7 slotter as well I figured a 10 slotter was going a bit far. https://www.mwave.com.au/product/orico-a3h7bk-7port-superspeed-usb-30-hub-black-ab56381#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

I started to run out of HDMI ports long ago and bought a few cheapies like theses guys http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080P-Full-HD-HDTV-5-Port-HDMI-Splitter-Switch-Switcher-Box-with-Remote-Control-/331715325203?hash=item4d3bc62d13:g:~TcAAOSwgyxWUqbY
Strangely only one of them would never work OK with my PC's but when my two new Raspberry Pi's 3's arrived I tried it on them and it works perfectly. The Pi's on the other hand are a bit underwhelming so far.  And dont get me started on Linux/Raspbian, but i'm getting there,  besides nothing ventured & all that.

@ Dataman:  Nice Bully  :thumbsup:

@ Everyone else: My 2 Gekko's came today but so far I haven't had the energy to get out of my sick bed to set them up.  Maybe tomorrow?

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

kashi

Oh I don't know, tree roots on a hill on Norfolk Island shouldn't frighten the kiddies too much. biggrin

Good your miners have arrived safely after their worldwide peregrinations. :thumbsup:

Haha Dataman, love your guardian. Read the post earlier but didn't see the photo then. How coincidental, I have a stick guardian too, it's the ex President of Finland, Mauno Koivisto. He's been atop my case since my mate gave him to me in April. So now he watches over the Gekko as well as holds paper shielding the power/HDD LED. I'll take a photo tomorrow, don't want to work out how to do so tonight. Room full of computer parts but am a bit of a mobileaphobe.

Hubs for all! I got the Plugable USB 2 60W one. Decided a recommended one would be more likely to work properly with the sticks. Can't think of anything that needs a powered USB 3 hub anyway. My ASRock motherboard has got 6 USB 3 ports, 2 USB 3.1 ports (A & C) and a front panel thingo that can be connected with 2 more USB 3.1 A&C.

Spent way too much on a Titanium PSU, early adopters tax strikes hard. Will take many years to recoup the difference to the price of a Platinum one in electricity savings. That suits me though, extravagant hardware purchases can be made on the sly, whereas gigantic electricity bills are seen by all so threaten to cause much gnashing and wailing. Should be quiet and heat my room up a little less too, I'm good at exaggerating any potential benefits to justify an Amazon bender.

Dingo

Got my ASIC in the mail today and have it up and running it's first work unit.  I followed the post on the Bitcoin FAQ called "How to install an ASIC miner (USB)".  Will let you know if it validates etc.

EDIT>    I could not run the command line check with commandline "cgminer --ndevs -n in standalone" as windows did not know what it was. 
QuoteC:\Users\User>cgminer --ndevs -n in standalone 'cgminer' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Quote from: Dingo on June 08, 2016, 08:54:12 AM
Got my ASIC in the mail today and have it up and running it's first work unit.  I followed the post on the Bitcoin FAQ called "How to install an ASIC miner (USB)".  Will let you know if it validates etc.
Good luck Dingo. I've had no invalids for over 50 hours now. Must have been the tuning or maybe it is the Mastiff standing guard.  :jester:

Dingo

I did the first one but forgot to restrict what work I got and it was an bfgminer (Campaign #3) (for 20+GH/s Blade erupter ASICs) v0.04 (miner_asic) and it was Invalid.  

@Dataman I see that your tasks run just over three minutes and getting about 358768 credits per hour and kashi's are even a bit quicker.  I have now run a "cgminer (Campaign #3) (for 1.6+GH/s ASICs) v0.07 (miner_asic)" and it is still running over an hour but shows 100% complete, not looking good.

I have my miner plugged into my computer USB 3 port because I do not have the USB hub yet.  Maybe they will not take as long when I have the hub ???    I am running WCG and Einstein on the same PC but I thought that would be OK ??

EDIT:   My PC rebooted and the task is starting again.  Maybe this time it will be faster ??

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dataman

Quote from: Dingo on June 08, 2016, 11:29:37 AM
I did the first one but forgot to restrict what work I got and it was an bfgminer (Campaign #3) (for 20+GH/s Blade erupter ASICs) v0.04 (miner_asic) and it was Invalid.  

@Dataman I see that your tasks run just over three minutes and getting about 358768 credits per hour and kashi's are even a bit quicker.  I have now run a "cgminer (Campaign #3) (for 1.6+GH/s ASICs) v0.07 (miner_asic)" and it is still running over an hour but shows 100% complete, not looking good.

I have my miner plugged into my computer USB 3 port because I do not have the USB hub yet.  Maybe they will not take as long when I have the hub ???    I am running WCG and Einstein on the same PC but I thought that would be OK ??

EDIT:   My PC rebooted and the task is starting again.  Maybe this time it will be faster ??

Sorry but that is what happens when they lose contact. The 1.6+ tasks time out after 2 hours and 20+ after 1.5 hours. If you look at the stderrout it will show that it was doing nothing and occasionally a message something like searching for a valid device. The 1.6+ tasks should not take longer than 10 minutes and most of mine are 2-4 minutes. If it is a Gecko you are probably going to have to adjust the voltage and put it in a powered hub. Some times removing it and plugging it back in will start it up again and it will complete a few wu's before losing contact again. If it is a Gecko, is the light flashing or do you just get the green light?
CPU & GPU jobs do not affect it. It only uses 0.1 CPU
Good luck and welcome to "Club Frustration"  biggrin

:panic:

Dingo

Quoteorry but that is what happens when they lose contact. The 1.6+ tasks time out after 2 hours and 20+ after 1.5 hours. If you look at the stderrout it will show that it was doing nothing and occasionally a message something like searching for a valid device. The 1.6+ tasks should not take longer than 10 minutes and most of mine are 2-4 minutes. If it is a Gecko you are probably going to have to adjust the voltage and put it in a powered hub. Some times removing it and plugging it back in will start it up again and it will complete a few wu's before losing contact again. If it is a Gecko, is the light flashing or do you just get the green light?

The Green light is on constantly not blinking.  The task ran up to about 98% quickly but now is on 99.96% after 41 minutes.  Just looked in the stderr.txt and it is not doing anything.   Will try another USB port and see what happens.  The USB Hub should be here tomorrow I think.  I don't want to plat around with the screw unless I have to so will wait and see if the Hub fixes the problem.

Radioactive@home graph

Dataman

Quote from: Dingo on June 08, 2016, 12:18:17 PM
Quoteorry but that is what happens when they lose contact. The 1.6+ tasks time out after 2 hours and 20+ after 1.5 hours. If you look at the stderrout it will show that it was doing nothing and occasionally a message something like searching for a valid device. The 1.6+ tasks should not take longer than 10 minutes and most of mine are 2-4 minutes. If it is a Gecko you are probably going to have to adjust the voltage and put it in a powered hub. Some times removing it and plugging it back in will start it up again and it will complete a few wu's before losing contact again. If it is a Gecko, is the light flashing or do you just get the green light?

The Green light is on constantly not blinking.  The task ran up to about 98% quickly but now is on 99.96% after 41 minutes.  Just looked in the stderr.txt and it is not doing anything.   Will try another USB port and see what happens.  The USB Hub should be here tomorrow I think.  I don't want to plat around with the screw unless I have to so will wait and see if the Hub fixes the problem.
Yes, the bright light should be flashing when it is running a WU. On mine, sometimes the light does not start flashing for ~30 seconds when a wu starts. I must admit I did not use a voltmeter on mine. I just turned the screw clockwise the width of a fine hair and put it back in and let go until it ran stable. Of the two that did not work, one only took one adjustment and the other one took 4. All 4 are stable now and two more arrive Saturday.  :thumbsup:

Dingo

OK tried it in two other USB ports with no luck.  I tried it on one that had a USB extension plugged in and away it went.  The light is flashing "Blue" I think, I am coloured Blind"

It is alive  :crazy I have returned two tasks in record time. http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/results.php?hostid=13547&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

:dance2:

EDIT:  It was short lived died after three tasks completed.  OK I am going to turn the screw if I have a screw driver to fit. I assume clockwise is the way to go ??

19:55:37 (8984): wrapper (7.5.26011): starting
19:55:37 (8984): wrapper: running cgminer.exe ( -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u bu3.worker1 -p x --failover-only -o stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334 -u 1LdTtbERXRWKrqEts2DBJ1nCAVYqtYsN87 -p x --shares 512 --text-only --no-submit-stale --usb :1)
[2016-06-07 19:55:37] Started cgminer 4.9.2
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] No devices detected!
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Waiting for USB hotplug devices or press q to quit
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Probing for an alive pool
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Pool 1 difficulty changed to 512.0
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Pool 0 difficulty changed to 256
[2016-06-07 19:55:44] Network diff set to 196G
[2016-06-07 19:55:37] Started cgminer 4.9.2                    
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] No devices detected!                    
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Waiting for USB hotplug devices or press q to quit                    
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Probing for an alive pool                    
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Pool 1 difficulty changed to 512.0                    
[2016-06-07 19:55:43] Pool 0 difficulty changed to 256                    
[2016-06-07 19:55:44] Network diff set to 196G                    
(5s):0.000 (1m):0.000 (5m):0.000 (15m):0.000 (avg):0.000h/s          
[2016-06-07 19:56:08] Pool 0 difficulty changed to 51
[2016-06-07 19:56:08] Stratum from pool 0 requested work restart
[2016-06-07 19:56:10] Pool 1 difficulty changed to 512.0
[2016-06-07 19:56:08] Pool 0 difficulty changed to 51                    
[2016-06-07 19:56:10] Pool 1 difficulty changed to 512.0                    

Etc

Etc

EDIT Two:  I do not have a screwdriver that small will need to get one tomorrow..

Radioactive@home graph

Dataman

QuoteEDIT:  It was short lived died after three tasks completed.  OK I am going to turn the screw if I have a screw driver to fit. I assume clockwise is the way to go ??
Yes clockwise increases the voltage and anticlockwise decreases it. I never could get a Philips screwdriver to fit. I use a very small flatblade.
EDIT: Make sure you are grounded and not carrying a static charge before you touch it with metal.

kashi

Good that it's arrived, not so good that it's mucking up. Neither of mine worked at all on my computer's USB 3 port so perhaps continue any further tests on your computer's  USB 2 port.

Had another fiddle with my cantankerous one and got it to work but only for one task then it loses contact again. Removing and replugging works sometimes but only lasts for another task. Other times it needs another tiny adjustment of the Silver Screw of Frustration. Then again and again and again. This is #@%&*! ridiculous.

Ah well, at least it can work sometimes, so all I need do is burn some chicken feathers, smear myself with vegemite and dance around the bedroom 3 times.

Maybe I should try some kriyas instead, I remember closing the nine gates was a powerful one. So much heat to the head like someone had applied 1,000 volt Dencorub to the brain. Probably blow me into orbit now but I'd go out with a bang. Think maybe kasi's dead, no n-n-n-no, he's outside looking in.

But I will not be sad when the sky is perfect blue. Surely some revelation is at hand; Surely the Hub of Power is at hand. Rejoice, from the bowels of Amazon the Hub of Power is winging it's way here on the big silver bird. Then the purple strobe of goodness will shine forth triumphantly.

Dingo

My PC has all USB 3 ports so no luck there....

QuoteAh well, at least it can work sometimes, so all I need do is burn some chicken feathers, smear myself with vegemite and dance around the bedroom 3 times.
Yes that is how I feel sometimes  :crazy

Radioactive@home graph

chooka03

I'm calling myself the self proclaimed master of patience and adjustment with these Gekos!  :wave:

QuoteYes, the bright light should be flashing when it is running a WU. On mine, sometimes the light does not start flashing for ~30 seconds when a wu starts.
Correct. If the purple light doesn't start flashing after the WU gets to about 10%ish then it may need hotplugging. If it just sits at green then its frozen and again need hotplugging. For example I just got home from work and the last WU has been sitting there at 99% for about an hr, so I hotplugged it and that completed the task.
Mine was running fin on Sunday/Monday but its had a shocking run today! Most of the day wasted while I was at work.

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/results.php?userid=6049&offset=0&show_names=0&state=5&appid=

6 invalids after timing out.  :hbang:

Since it was stopped I adjusted the voltage screw and now have it at .69V. Just to give you some idea, about 1/4 turn moved the voltage from .62 to .69 so it was quite a bit.
Even though they say these can operate between .55 - .08, I'm not really game to go much over .7 especially as I have no other cooling.

I'll now see how .069V goes and let you know.

Honestly I reckon I hotpugged mine AT LEAST 100 times since I got it and then it seemed to settle down.... till today.
I too am using a USB 2.0 port. I did have it in a USB 3.0 port but that was behind my pc and a pain in the backside to continually hotplug.

I too have a powered hub coming and hope that it might provide a more stable supply of power which might help moderate this things temperament.  A lot of "might's" and "maybe's" there.

I'll keep you updated :)

:rocks

kashi

Mauno Koivisto, President of Finland smiles upon my Gekko.

Dingo

OK since I was having problems with windows I would try my Raspberry PI but alas after three hours it is in the same state as Windows.   I think it might even be worse as there is a lot of stuff in the stderr file about unable to open folders etc.

I plugged it back into Windows and after a couple of Ejects and plug ins it is now running a task.  I am off to bed as it has just turned 03:00 here in BC Canada.   I will leave windows running Bitcoin but I bet it fails after a couple of tasks.

Radioactive@home graph