News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

Can't access the file. Do you have view computers turned on there? Do you have it in a powered hub yet?
Mine have settled down after the last adjustments. No invalids in 4 days.
Do you have a statue of a Tasmanian Devil?  biggrin
[/quote]

Sorry about that. I didn't know about the link not being accessible. Thank you Kashi for explaining that.
No I don't have a powered USB hub yet. I ordered one on 09/06/16 and it should be here about this Friday. I've bought the same one Jugnuts has? Or was it you Dataman....The Superbpag one.

UPS dropped the ball with my latest delivery! :hbang: I ordered a couple more miners (the last I'll be buying) on 07/06/16. They arrived in Aus on the 12/06/16 and it took from then until today (8 days) to arrive at my door! Should have been 1-2 days from Sydney to Brisbane.
Anyhoo, got my miners but neither of them is working which is why I asked if they should just plug in and go ???
Is there something I need to do to enable more than 1 task to run?

It's not the USB ports because 1 will work in any port. *sigh*

Might have to invest in a Tazzie Devil mate!  biggrin

chooka03

Quote from: kashi on June 20, 2016, 05:34:50 PM
Yes you have to change <count> value in cc_config.xml file to match the number of miners you have. Using app_info.xml file or app_config.xml file is not necessary.

Ohhhhh thank you Kashi! :) You're a LEGEND!! :worship

Edit - So it seems that the USB ports on my Mobo can't run these miners. Must be a voltage issue.
They will only run on the 2 x USB ports which come out of my case.

Oh well, maybe the hub will fix the issue. I'll be glad when the hub arrives actually. My PC is on the floor near my knee and I burnt the crap out of it the other day when I rested it against the miner...OUCH! Should have seen how quick I moved! lol
Not great when you have a adventurous 2yr old around.

Dataman

Might have to invest in a Tazzie Devil mate!  biggrin
I think you will find the Superbpag will solve the rest of your problems. I have two of them.
Until then, print this:

:greet

chooka03

Hahaha Thanks mate!
Yeah..... I can't even get 2 to work properly so we'll see.
:AUS:

chooka03

FINALLY!!!
All working and I found out why I was having issues.

As we all know, you have to fiddle with the voltage screw. Mine arrived and were set at 0.64V. I had one running at 0.7V but it has been kinda hit and miss. Well....I though stuff this, lets go another 1/4 turn of the screw and see what happens.

Start - 0.64V
1/4 turn - 0.70V
Another 1/4 turn - 0.78V

All running good now (Touch wood) :yahoo:

One question though, does anyone know why these don't work in a USB3 slot?
My new Superbpag hub is USB3 but if I pulg it into my USB 3 port on my PC... Nothing. Go to USB 2 and bam, everything lights up.

*Update - Uh Oh.....thought I might have killed one of my miner :( The green light has disappeared and the purple light is stuck on. :/

:rocks

chooka03

Urgh... :angry:
So this morning, all 3 Geko lights were stuck on purple, I have 150 WU's in progress?? and the times have blown out.

No invalids but something doesn't seem right  ???

chooka03

Bugger  :thumbdown:

I'm almost convinced one of my ASIC's is dead. :( The one with the light stuck on.(I changed the cc_config to 1) and tried to run it on its own but I ran out of patience after 10mins. When I plugged another card in (leaving the dodgy one in) I noticed that the new card started blinking and performing tasks.
I thought that was odd and perhaps an indication that dodgy card was not being recognised?

Dodgy card has voltage and its currently at 0.71V

Funny thing is ........I don't see any invalids from timing out, which is what I'd expect to see if the card wasn't working.  ORRR Is it possible that the other 2 ASICS are crunching away while the 3'rd WU starts (because WU begins with the CPU) and once one of the 1st miners that's working finishes its first task, does it then just pick up the 3rd work unit and complete it?

It's warm but not hot to the touch, a clear indication that somethings not right. Unlike the other 2 cards which melt your finger prints off :blush1:

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/results.php?userid=6049&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

Oh well.

Dataman

What are the run times on the device in question?

chooka03

At work now sorry DM but I'm now 99% sure its dead :(
I'd have to let it run by itself I guess to see what happens. I had all 3 plugged in over night and woke up this morning and unplugged the faulty one. It seems that with 3 WU running, one of the other sticks picks up the 3rd WU to finish it off. I thought maybe if I unplugged the faulty one, then one WU would just time out but that's not the case.

I've just had a long chat with Scott from Holy Bitcoin. Sadly there's no warranty on these things and he's just the salesman.
He was very helpful and advised that after his existing stock of the Geko's is gone, there won't be any more. Sidehack is apparently moving on to another project and Scott is also moving on from selling the Geko's.

I might touch base with Sidehack again on the BC forum to find out if there's anything I can do to fix this stick otherwise, it's E waste :(
I've tried adjusting the V screw but no change. I truly think its cactus.....especially as there is no green light.

Oh well........the team is still doing well at screaming up the global Bitcoin Utopia ladder. Every little bit helps although I hope they start a new project soon. I'm not thrilled about the one remaining project after #3.

chooka03

EUREKA!!   :yahoo:.
My third one has come back from the DEAD!  :dance:

I'm shutting everything else down for a while to save on electricity for a bit. Will continue with BU though.
Trying to recruit a new member too.  :thumbsup:

:rocks

kashi

That's great news. v:

Strange that it got stuck like that. Have you got a fan blowing on them? I ran mine without a fan when they were apart, but now they're both together on a hub I have an old case fan cooling them until USB fan arrives from UK. It's just sitting there and I keep knocking it off the case. That's OK but twice now I've managed to stick a finger in it when picking it up, youch. Trying to remember to be more careful lately.

Don't know what's happened to USB fan delivery, Royal Mail must have decided that Australia is part of the European Common Market, so are now farting in our general direction. Hmm, Pound has sunk, time for record shopping on Amazon.uk? Not many records are cheaper on Amazon.uk than US Amazon or ccmusic, but for those that are, shipping is cheaper for 1 or 2. May check out the reddit vinyl deals thread next week and see what's on special at Amazon.uk.

How's my form haha; Britain is in uproar, ASX drops 50 billion, currency exchanges in meltdown, gold soars and here am I calmly thinking whether or not I need Live Cream Vol. II now that it's down to AU10.70. I really should effervesce with some newer songs, um how about King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, don't know anything about their music but they're Aussie and I do like that name.   

chooka03

We are screaming along.
Nearly 300Mil/day  :shock

Still....we can do better. We're a long way away from catching Gay USA! Those guys can bang out some numbers.

JugNut

@ Chooka:  I'm glad you got thing sorted mate.  So what wizardry did you do to get the dodgy one running again?  I 've had the same thing happen on mine but usually after a re-plug or two all is well again, well so far anyway.

Mine are still flakey but at least now they are behaving a little better and only require hot-plugging 2 or 3 times a day now that my internet is a tad more stable. Before that it was close to once per hour and sometimes much,  much more.  **as i'm posting looks down to finds another has crapped itself yet again**  I got another two delivered on Friday but I just threw them in a draw.  I have poor health and a temperament to match and am in no mood for the extra frustration these will most probably cause.  Besides in the long run a few extra millions here or there wont make that much difference.  I'll get around to trying them sooner or later.   

The only other thing I can think of is that my network is just to patchy for them.**I'm with Telstra :( **  Over the past week i've had the internet drop out up to 10 times a day & that's only what i've noticed and since the ASIC's will not process without internet access they stop, then after internet access is restored they just wont start again,  well at least not without being hot-plugged again.  Hopefully if Telstra ever fix's their broken network things may come right or maybe there just stuffed either way they are turning out to be a right royal pain.

Mmm on second thought the patchy internet is unlikely to be the whole problem as the U3 & the Bi-Fury have not been affected, sure they stopped while the internet was down but then they start straight back up again after it is restored,  the only constant is the Gekko's.   

@ kashi:  What HUB did you end up buying?  Do you think it helped any?
Also my Arctic fans were delivered late last week so i'm thinking yours shouldn't be to far behind.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard?  *LOL*  I'll give em 10 points for originality  biggrin

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on June 25, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
We are screaming along.
Nearly 300Mil/day  :shock

Still....we can do better. We're a long way away from catching Gay USA! Those guys can bang out some numbers.
We are 10 days from catching BOINC@SK (46) and 12 from catching BOINCstats (45). We will never catch GayUSA unless we get a lot more miners.  :jester:
The longer my Gecko's run the worse they get. They started averaging ~5 min/wu and now up to ~11+ min. I was doing 188 million/day and now about 124 million/day. Not sure why. The U3's are rock solid but are not being made any more. Every 52 minutes they bang out a wu. The USB stick miners seem to be going they way of the buggy whip; not being made anymore and hard to find.
Damn HOT here. 38.3 C today and 40.4 for most of next week.  :thumbdown:
:oz:

kashi

My hub is a Plugable USB 2.0 7 Port 60W.

Definitely made a difference, even after I found a voltage level that worked with my "dodgy" one when plugged into the monitor USB connected to old computer, if I then plugged it into the new computer with the other "good" one, it caused the good one to lose connection frequently and the ensuing hotplug dance.

In other words couldn't run 2 at the same time on the 1 computer. Hub has no troubles with 2, although surprisingly had to increase voltage on the good one by quarter turn before it worked stably on the hub.

I've had a few internet interruptions too. Thankfully compared to my previous horrendous ADSL, the internet itself never drops out now that I have fibre, but computers are connected to the NTD and router by wireless which sometimes drops out and is hard to restore. Both Gekkos start back up immediately as soon as link is restored, even after 10 minutes or longer spent idling.

Been doing the longer 20+GH/s tasks for a few days now as I found it gives a bit more total throughput, more efficient because of 80 times less stopping and starting I suppose. Take about 4 hours and runtime is much more consistent than 1.6+GH/s tasks.

Yeh hope my USB fans arrive soon like yours did. Still waiting on a Chromebook I bought to arrive too, then I'll get stuck into building my duallie.

Send me some warmth please Dataman and I'll swap you for some coolth. Was -0.3 °C overnight here. :shock