News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

Hi kashi, yea thanks mate.  The Brit's may have royally screwed themselves over?  Or at least it would seem that way.  It's like a really bad reality show with a weird implausible plot that would never happen in real life,  but it really did happen :(
After saying that realistically there is always a dozen or more sides to every story and i'd be a fool to think I could see even a fraction of them.  So I wish the Brits nothing but the best as all of us try to deal with a rapidly shrinking globe & all the fears and uncertainties that come with it.  Interesting times are ahead that's for sure.

Anyway back on track,  I had read about using multiple stick miners to do the 20GH work units & was looking forward to trying it out, but later read that it didn't scale that well so I then promptly forgot about it.  But thinking about it now even if it works out to be a few point less that's still a sacrifice i'd gladly make to keep the little buggers running all day.  As it is now even with baby sitting i'm loosing many millions a day in lost production so i've got nothing to lose. Good thinking buddy and + 1 for your big brain.

kashi

I think you have misunderstood me. Yes I did try using 2 sticks combined doing 1 20+GH/s task but found it too slow.

What I was talking about was doing 20+GH/s tasks on each stick. In other words, choosing only 20+GH/s tasks in project preferences. Originally these 20+GH/s tasks had a 5,400 seconds time limit but because of Antminer U3s going zombie this limit was removed.

Not only does it yield a bit more total credit but it means that stopping and starting tasks is reduced 80 fold compared to the 1.6+GH/s tasks (4 hours runtime vs  about 3 minutes). This greatly reduces the potential for Gekko sticks to lose contact with the computer.

Hope you feel better soon, cold weather can be uncomfortable enough at any time but worse if you're crook.

JugNut

Thanks kash, ii'll give that a crack tonight.

Dataman

I will try it too. My Gecko's are doing less each day. I am down 60 million/day over what they started at.  :thumbdown:

EDIT: I put all 14 on the 20+ GH wu's. First thing I noticed was all 14 of the little basturds started flashing again.   :shock These are the strangest devices I have ever encountered. They stop working for no apparent reason. They start working for no apparent reason. They run one wu in 5 minutes and the next one in 45 minutes. They flash; they don't flash. They die and then do a Lazarus and come back from the dead.  :panic:

EDIT2: Multi-colored flashing Disco here again but they are "Stayin' Alive".  biggrin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

JugNut

Quote from: Dataman on June 26, 2016, 10:51:09 PM
I will try it too. My Gecko's are doing less each day. I am down 60 million/day over what they started at.  :thumbdown:

EDIT: I put all 14 on the 20+ GH wu's. First thing I noticed was all 14 of the little basturds started flashing again.   :shock These are the strangest devices I have ever encountered. They stop working for no apparent reason. They start working for no apparent reason. They run one wu in 5 minutes and the next one in 45 minutes. They flash; they don't flash. They die and then do a Lazarus and come back from the dead.  :panic:

EDIT2: Multi-colored flashing Disco here again but they are "Stayin' Alive".  biggrin

Your not wrong about that Dataman  :rofl: 
Also if scientists ever needed proof that tight jeans are extremely unhealthy for guys um dangly parts then they needn't look any further than that video you linked too.  Ahh it stirred up some good memories though, I mean you ain't seen nothing until you've seen ol' JugNut on the disco dance floor with his flared jeans putting his moves together *LOL*

Also on a slightly less disurburbung note, It looks like not all BU campaigns are created equally.  I just tried campain #7 with with 20GH work units and the first two I tried ended up being invalid.  http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/result.php?resultid=137771735

The reason is that campaign #7 20GH work units still have a 5400 second(1.5hr) time limit on them and the Gekko's can't finish them in that time frame. So they time out and end up invalid.. Why they have a different time limit on them than campain #3 is anyones guess?

EDIT: The reason the time limit is shorter is because they run for only half as long as the #3 20GH work units,  and also give half the credit as well.  I only just noticed this when I finished my first lot of #7 20GH work units on the U3.

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on June 27, 2016, 02:14:46 AM
Quote from: Dataman on June 26, 2016, 10:51:09 PM
I will try it too. My Gecko's are doing less each day. I am down 60 million/day over what they started at.  :thumbdown:

EDIT: I put all 14 on the 20+ GH wu's. First thing I noticed was all 14 of the little basturds started flashing again.   :shock These are the strangest devices I have ever encountered. They stop working for no apparent reason. They start working for no apparent reason. They run one wu in 5 minutes and the next one in 45 minutes. They flash; they don't flash. They die and then do a Lazarus and come back from the dead.  :panic:

EDIT2: Multi-colored flashing Disco here again but they are "Stayin' Alive".  biggrin

Your not wrong about that Dataman  :rofl:  And if scientists ever needed proof that tight jeans are extremely unhealthy for guys um dangly parts then they needn't look any further than that video you linked too.  Ahh it stirred up some good memories though, I mean you ain't seen nothing until you've seen ol' JugNut on the disco dance floor with his flared jeans putting his moves together *LOL*

Also on a slightly less disurburbung note, It looks like not all BU campaigns are created equally.  I just tried campain #7 with with 20GH work units and the first two I tried ended up being invalid.  http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/result.php?resultid=137771735

The reason is that campaign #7 20GH work units still have a 5400 second(1.5hr) time limit on them and the Gekko's can't finish them in that time frame. So they time out and end up invalid.. Why they have a different time limit on them than campain #3 is anyones guess?

Thanks JN for the campaign 7 info ... that is good to know. I sometime run some wu's for #7 and will have to remember to change the profile before doing so.
I must shamefully admit there was a time when I had a pair of white bell-bottom pants with white shoes and also a powder blue leisure suit.  :blush1: I look at those pictures of me and want to stick my head in the oven.  :jester:
You should see the server room. That piece of Norwegian Crystal with the Polar Bear etched on it refracts light all over the room now that 7 miners are flashing. I tried to take some pictures but the shutter speed is way too fast to capture the effect. I told Karen I was going to take down the ceiling fan and replace it with a disco ball ( you can actually buy one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/ADJ-Products-M-800-Mirror-Ball/dp/B00LLYOO88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466958991&sr=8-2&keywords=mirrored+disco+ball ). She did NOT think that was a good idea! She did bring me a wine cooler and we are dancing to some 70's music. I am afraid my "moves" have moved on to some other place. When I get going my bones sound like a dog eating chicken bones.  :rofl: We are going to relax in the air conditioning and endure another very hot day.

@Kashi: One again mate your superior Vulcan intelligence has saved the day. So far on the Campaign  #3 20+ GH, the run times are almost exactly 4 hour for each one. I do think the credits will be much more but will have to wait to confirm it after a day or two. At least they are stable times now. I did not know they had dropped the 1.5 limit on #3. Thanks for that.  :worship
:greet

kashi

Good to know that campaign #7 still has the limit, thanks JugNut. When I did a little #7 before, I was still running 1.6+GH/s tasks. I would have run afoul of time limit too when I next did some #7.

Task you linked looked like it was working well up until the timeout though, so campaign #3 20+GH/s tasks should hopefully work OK on your Gekkos like it does on mine.

Campaign #10 for SRBase should be starting up again soon. #10 apps have been prepared by rebirther but need setup by Henri. Post says "rbox apps have no timelimit", so I think that rbox apps are the 20+GH/s tasks seeing as it says rbox in those tasks names.

Relevant post is here.

Vulcan you say, hmm, wearing Spock ears may give the illusion of intelligence but surely looking saucy with a Twitchy Kitty Electric Tail would be more fun:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dataman

Oh my! Looks like something one would wear on the next visit to Wal-Mart.   :rofl:
Due to frequent applications of wine coolers, our afternoon turned into a nap.  :drink:
v:

chooka03

Quote from: JugNut on June 25, 2016, 10:16:12 PM
@ Chooka:  I'm glad you got thing sorted mate.  So what wizardry did you do to get the dodgy one running again?  I 've had the same thing happen on mine but usually after a re-plug or two all is well again, well so far anyway.

Hi mate. Nope..... It was stuck on multiple USB ports for what....2 days then BAM started working when I changed ports back into the hub.
There is only ONE thing that I changed come to think of it...............I have suspended all my other projects to save money on the electricity bill. Maybe that is what fixed it?? Coincidences ???

Mine need the odd hotplug but generally keep going. Bloody hot though. Now all running at .074V.
I might try to slowly adjust the voltage down and see if I start getting more faults.

:rocks

JugNut

They really just defy logic sometimes.  I have thought the same thing as you and on many occasions, i'd think I finally had it worked out,  but nope just when you think you've got it sorted then bang!! The funk returns with vengeance and I have to start hot-plugging like  madman all over again. 
The little buggers seem to have a mind of there own.  I sometimes wonder if there not leftovers from a magic/joke shop as they've had me at my wits ends on many occasions. *LOL* I was starting to think that I may have been on candid camera and that somewhere, someone was getting a great laugh at my expense.

But love em or hate em there capable of outputting some nice numbers when you can get them working for a time.  So for me at least the hunt for a fix(if there is one) continue's, but doing the 20GH units has been a big help so far.

@ Dataman:  Thanks for the mental picture of you in your powdered blue leisure suit, will keep me smiling for quite some time. Just awesome! 

Mm although kashi in cat suite with an electric cat tail would still win first prize I think :)  *LOL* We really have entered the twilight zone here haven't we?

chooka03

LOL..... would you look at that!

Obviously I didn't touch wood during my last post. The one that was stuck... is stuck again!  :furious:
No amount of hot plugging fixes it. I'll just have to wait for that ASIC fairy to fly by again after they have visiting your households!  :hbang:

JugNut

Now your starting to think like a hard core boinc enthusiast,  fairies & gremlins are real and crunching totems are needed to keep your rigs in working order, and don't let anyone tell you differently. :crazy

kashi

That's bad news about your Gekko stopping again.  :pcwhack:

But great ASIC fairy. v:

Just had a thought that some of Dataman's sticks that weren't flashing before may not have been working. With a hub full of sticks the working ones would take up the slack and all tasks would be completed. The only clue that some sticks weren't working would be runtimes that varied by a great deal.

You can get Twitchy Kitty Cat Ears to go with your Twitchy Kitty Electronic Tail.
Hmm, these gifs I'm posting to the forum don't move unless clicked, suppose that's normal for forums.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dataman

Good news bad news for me with the 20+ GH wu's.
Good news: Credits jumped back up from ~123 million to ~199 million. :thumbsup:
Bad news: Run times still suck. Anywhere from 4 hours to 11 hours.  :thumbdown: No invalids though.
Since the credits are up I will keep them on the 20+'s.

Ugly day today ... 40.0C and the US stock market is set to tank at the opening bell.  :furious:

EDIT: It turned out to be my best day ever for BOINC. I am just frustrated by the large disparity in run times. Lost about $15K today in the market. The Brits are at the top of my $#!+ list. I need a crying smiley.  :furious:

kashi

Well the improvement is better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick but something's still awry there. ???

Such high variability in runtime sounds like some sticks are losing contact and stopping. Are they all still flashing?

My 2 have average runtime of about 4 hours. Means they yield about 14.4 million per day each. From that you could work out a target yield for each of your computers. For example, if one of your computers has 6 sticks then it should yield about 86.4 million per day. The reason I'm suggesting checking this is that I noticed that occasionally one of my sticks misreported the runtime when it was connected to my old computer. It wasn't just out by a little either it was out by heaps. Was doing the 1.6+ GH/s tasks then and some of them took the usual 3-4 minutes to run but reported that they had run for many hours.

Just something to check first to make sure you aren't chasing phantoms. If it's not that, you'd need to investigate which sticks are acting ornery. Suppose the most thorough way of doing that would be extended tests of each stick individually. Doing it in batches might reveal any trouble quicker but would then need individual testing of sticks in the misbehaving batch.

A bit fiddly and time consuming but if Antminer is still crunching away than the immediate daily loss wouldn't show as much and would quickly be made up later if/when you can get every stick performing properly without any of them losing contact and idling all day.

On the other hand, wine coolers and dancing is much more fun. v:

Yes I was looking for the crying smiley the other day, I thought there used to be one. Losing on the market eh, haven't lost your shirt hopefully. Sometimes when I hear of investment losses it reminds me of old cartoons where someone ends up dressed in a barrel because they've lost their shirt.