News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

Better to keep peace in the family than crunch, Chooka.
Very surprised to hear your fans are noisy, Kashi. Mine make almost no noise at all. As to power, I have noticed no increase with the ASIC's. However it is hard to tell this time of the year as we have the air conditioner running most of the day and it uses a lot of power.
It may be a moot point soon as I am increasingly unhappy with Henri's lack of attention to this "project".  :thumbdown:
:greet

chooka03

Morning gentlemen.
Like you Kashi, I have 5 Gecko's but my 5th one is dead...so make that 4  :thumbsup:

Even though these draw a small amount of power, my wife just see's my pc on 24/7 which is the real issue.  :thumbdown:
I'm trying to compromise with her but I think I'll shut down during the day and shut down my other projects for a while till the next power bill comes in.
I'm disappointed but like you said Dataman........better to keep the peace on the home front.  :worship

chooka03

Phew.... I was bidding on a Antminer U3 on Ebay but got outbid.
After the blow up with the wife last night, that's a godsend. :crazy

So...which one of you outbid me??  biggrin
It went for $92.00 +$11.00 shipping.

kashi

Aha I see, yes running the PC uses a bit. You could always run them off a Raspberry Pi I suppose but it may be frustrating getting it to work unless you enjoy a challenge.

We've just got our new power contract here and tariff has risen 10% from July 1. Bad timing as air con has been running overtime in the last week with the cold weather. I'm using impending outrageously high winter power bill as an excuse to delay building my new PC. The real reason is I need to get info off an old computer so I can use that case. It's an old instal of Win XP Pro and hasn't been fired up for ages so I'm putting off attempting to fiddle with it.

Yes Dataman the noise of the USB fans surprised me. If I could arrange it so it plugged into a USB port oriented horizontally it would probably be OK but plugged into hub with vertical oriented USB ports it is slightly loose fitting and makes more noise. If I support its weight with my finger it is quieter. So I may be able to fix it up somehow but that day had limited patience so just put it aside. BTW, how easy is it to stick your finger in those USB fans when adjusting angle of gooseneck? Probably why I gave up after ouching my fingers for the umpteenth time, haha.

When justifying buying my Skylake box told myself I would be able to shut down one computer to work on and still be crunching on the other. Strangely that hasn't really worked out, after I cleaned the old one and got it crunching again still don't like to shut either box down and lose crunching time. Doesn't really relate only to credit either, can be crunching a low credit project like WCG and still don't like to be "missing out" anything.

Hmm Antminer, wouldn't mind one of those, AliExpress has them but bit dubious about quality from there.

chooka03

Yeah that Antminer on Ebay sold for a total of $107.00.... too much in my opinion.

I too am looking to upgrade my PC. This one does fine but I'd like more cores/threads. I'm just using an i5 2600K
Can't justify that cost either at the moment. The new Broadwell chips are out but I can wait for the extreme prices to come down a bit. I'd have to buy new mobo, RAM and CPU so Id be looking at $1500 - $2000. Imagine what my wife would say about that!! :)

I'll just have to accept that I can only do so much for the team and find that fine balance between happy wife = happy life and me being happy also.

I think it would be my video card which gobbles the most power. I should get a smart meter installed but that's a double edged sword  biggrin

Dataman

Yes Dataman the noise of the USB fans surprised me. If I could arrange it so it plugged into a USB port oriented horizontally it would probably be OK but plugged into hub with vertical oriented USB ports it is slightly loose fitting and makes more noise. If I support its weight with my finger it is quieter. So I may be able to fix it up somehow but that day had limited patience so just put it aside. BTW, how easy is it to stick your finger in those USB fans when adjusting angle of gooseneck? Probably why I gave up after ouching my fingers for the umpteenth time, haha.
My Mastiff tried to sniff the fan. You should have heard her yelp! Now she avoids the server because it "bites".  biggrin

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dataman on July 06, 2016, 11:51:03 PM
My Mastiff tried to sniff the fan. You should have heard her yelp! Now she avoids the server because it "bites".  biggrin

I'm torn between laughter and empathy.  :thumbsup: :thumbdown:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

Rumor has it I will have two more Antminer U3's delivered on Monday. I got fooled on these as I ordered them from a company in the UK. Turns out the company is a front for China and they have been taking a slow boat ride for over three weeks now. I am sure they are counterfeits but for $65 USD with free shipping for both of them I will not have lost much. If I had it to do over I would have got U3's instead of the Gecko's. They are almost silent, produce very little heat and both of them together do 5 million credits/hour continually without fail. The Gecko's are doing better but still require the occasional hot plug to keep them working.
Nice weather here. I just had 10 cubic yards of shredded redwood bark mulch delivered. Any of you blokes want to grab a shovel and help me spread it?  biggrin
:oz:

tazzduke

Yeah sure, thrown a bbq on with some bevvies and will be there as soon as lol

Could be bit of a long trek though from this side of the world lol

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

Dingo

Interesting article in that if people have thousands whet chance do we have of mining with a few ?  I have looked online and found a few how to's to start mining but they all included sending money so not for me.  If anyone finds out how to start let the forum know.  :rocks

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

If you detail the actual financials of Gekko sticks you will break the spell. These sticks pay diddly squat, we knew that didn't we? And now they pay half of diddly squat.

The only small chance to make money with them would be to "lottery" mine.

Dataman

Yes, I figured with all of mine I would get $2 for every $10 in electricity and that is optimistic.
I got lost trying to set up a bitcoin wallet and how to define a "worker" in the mining software. Not worth the effort.

chooka03

Yeah I've no interest in Bitcoin mining and as you pointed out, it won't be worth it.
You'd need to be buying the T/H type units and really....who wants to pay that sort of money. You're talking $$$. No thanks.

I read that some of the die hards like Mikey are buying the Butterfly Monarch miners....again... this is a hobby. I'd never spend that sort of money.
Well.....maybe if I won lotto.

I agree with the U3 comment Dataman but they are rare as hens teeth really. We might find more people giving up with the halving and flogging them off cheaply...but who knows. The U3's are a great compromise before moving towards a PSU to power them.
Can't imagine how many billions you will be churning out soon mate :shock
Move over David Steel! lol

Dataman

Yes, the U3's are rare now except on eBay and often lack the PSU and/or cables. I am supposed to get two new ones today from China but have my doubts. The DHL tracking # is invalid.
Found this to be very interesting as to active users:
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/144/project/detail/user
There has been a big fall off probably due to stopping CPU/GPU wu's. Henri has only posted one terse message in the last 30 days and shows no interest in getting new campaigns. Bitcoin price will be halved soon. Does not look good. My strategy (if you can call it that) is to get as many credits for the team while good campaigns exist but long term mine will probably end up in the junk drawer. They will be in good company with old CPU's, old GPU's and obsolete MoBo's, PSU's and cables.  :rofl:

P.S. First time I noticed BOINCstats graphs are nicer looking.  biggrin
:oz: