News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Yes the ASICs give ridiculous amounts of credit. Although the power use is small, the hardware doesn't come that cheaply, because they are so unreliable very quickly. If you ask the seller about a dead one he directs you to the manufacturer, if you ask the manufacturer he directs you to the seller. Classic pass the buck scenario which is illegal in Australia.

Of the 5 of us with Gekkos, at least 3 of us have 1 or more dead uns. The one of mine that wasn't connected to the powered hub gave up the ghost a few days ago. Light just stays in bright mining mode all the time. Something starting to go awry with the other 4 too, different ones keeps losing connection daily after working perfectly for weeks. It's not as if it takes long either, chooka's one died after 3 days, my one after about 3-4 weeks.

Plus there's the problem sourcing them, such as high cost of freight from USA for Gekkos, unreliable supply of Antminer U3s from China and unavailability of suitable powered hubs in Australia. Judging by tales on other forums of dead Antminer U3s, it's not just Gekkos that are unreliable either.

Mine are off currently while I'm reorganising things for a new build.

I know GPUs are more expensive each, suck oodles of power and when used intensively for crunching are likely to break down too, but you usually can get a year or more out of them and they have a warranty as well. It's a bit galling that my CPU has been crunching non stop at 90% load for 6-7 years now and one of my miners is kaput after 3 weeks. Still, it wouldn't be as much fun if it wasn't risky, would it?

Dataman

chooka03

Ah Kashi, your broken miner has suffered the same fate as mine. Purple/white light stuck on.
I try plugging it in every so often but nothing changes. I've played with the voltage...nothing. I think it's a goner.

If mine die, I won't replace then. I'll just revert to go ol crunching.

Have a good weekend all  :wave:

chooka03

Uh Oh...seems another one of my miners has kicked the bucket  :thumbdown:
2/5 now no good. Bit of a waste of money I'm thinking.

chooka03

Unbelievable........... :angry: It looks like yet ANOTHER miner has died!
I'm now left with 2 out of 5.
What a rip off these things were. They are just sitting in a power USB hub...I'm not doing anything with them.
Not happy!!

Dingo

I must have gotten a good bunch , touch wood, as all four of mine are crunching away in a powered hub without any input from me.  Not to say that they won't crash tomorrow, because I put in this post   :wink

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

All 14 of mine work as well as the 2 ants. Been shutting down during the day and running at night due to the current heat wave. Hopefully cooler weather next week

chooka03

Well I have no idea why mine are dying  ???
Having said that...Kashi - The one that had the light stuck on (purple) has resurrected itself last night after being buggered for what?.........1-2 months.
I don't think it will last though.

My other 2 which don't work, One has voltage going to it but no action...the other has no voltage & no action.

I give up lol.

:oz:

Dataman

:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:
I got a refund from China on my U3's. It took <24 hours to debit my account but >2 weeks to credit it.  :thumbdown: At least they did refund the amount.

I tried to run some asteroid CPU's with a gecko array and the miners went offline. Asteroids took ALL the CPU and the miners could not get any. I have the same problem with the GPU's on asteroids. They take so much GPU that I can't run video.
Still too damn hot here. We may get a break in the heat wave on Monday.
:greet

EDIT: I gave up on Asteroids and tried to run some POGS with the miners ... POGS is out of work. Which line do I stand in to surrender?  :jester:

Dingo

I have gone back to SETI because POGS is out of work and my Gecko's work with it and I am running Collatz on my one GPU that I have running. 

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

chooka03

Oh...thats interesting to hear that the Gecko's work on something other than BU!
Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Sean

How does the Gekko work with Boinc? Is it detected as an extra CPU/GPU core? What kind of times are people getting on non-bitcoin tasks?

First I've heard of them.  :jester:

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on July 31, 2016, 08:23:49 PM
Oh...thats interesting to hear that the Gecko's work on something other than BU!
Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

They do not. They only mine Bitcoins.
Let me rephrase. Since I started mining, I have not been running any CPU projects. Each miner takes something less than .1 CPU but an array of 7 take over half. Asteroids is very CPU intensive and takes 100% if it can get it (same with its GPU). What is happening when I run Asteroids on the CPU's is when a miner tries to start a new task there is no CPU resources available and the miner can not start. It looks like it is running but is not doing anything (stops flashing). This does not happen with POGS and I assume with most other CPU projects. I have always had problems with Asteroids and some GPU projects that use a lot of CPU with the GPU. The GPU task tries to start but does not have enough CPU so it gets a comp error. This has also happened when I've tried Asteroids with vBox CPU projects. I got some POGS resends yesterday and they ran fine with the miners.
I am not running any CPU's until I finish 100 million at PG on the GPU's (end of Aug.). Just running 10 GPU's and the miners because of the heat. 10F drop in the heat today and next week looks good
:greet

Dingo

Yes not running the Gecko's on projects other than Bitcoin but with other projects on CPU.  Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly the first time  :jester:

Radioactive@home graph

Sean

Ah right! Yes just re-read your original posts and it's much clearer now.  :wink