News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

Quote from: Dataman on September 10, 2016, 10:16:24 AM

Nope not .......  But which one is dead? That is the question.  ???

Wouldn't it be the stick that's not flashing any longer?  Or can't you see them properly where they are?

Dataman

Unfortunately 4 of them do not flash even though they still work fine. I had all the non-flashers in one array so I could keep an eye on them. I found the dead one by removing them one-by-one while looking at the device manager. I started with the non-flashers and found it on the second try. The green light works so it is getting power from the hub but Windows no longer sees it as a device. Going to stick it into a different machine just to make sure it is not a problem with the port on the hub but I am rather sure it is a "dead parrot". Also had to change the config file because if you tell BOINC you have 7 miners it starts 7 wu's even though there are only 6 miners.
:greet

Dingo

I noticed they need to have an internet connection all the time to work.  The blue/purple (I am color blind) only flashes when there is an internet connection.   I had to unplug my powered hub and re-start all four of my geckos today as they had power but no flashing lights.  Then saw that my USB internet adaptor was not working.  After I unplugged and plugged in the internet adaptor they started up again.

I think that my four gekos will not last too long either.  They are still getting good credit but looking at the stderr.txt there are times when it is not getting the info it needs, but this also could be that my network adaptor stops working from time to time.   I will keep them going as long as they work and there is work for them to do.   :rocks

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

JugNut

Quote from: Dataman on September 11, 2016, 12:20:33 AM
Unfortunately 4 of them do not flash even though they still work fine. I had all the non-flashers in one array so I could keep an eye on them. I found the dead one by removing them one-by-one while looking at the device manager. I started with the non-flashers and found it on the second try. The green light works so it is getting power from the hub but Windows no longer sees it as a device. Going to stick it into a different machine just to make sure it is not a problem with the port on the hub but I am rather sure it is a "dead parrot". Also had to change the config file because if you tell BOINC you have 7 miners it starts 7 wu's even though there are only 6 miners.

Oh! that does make it difficult doesn't it?  I had heard about that problem but thankfully it never happened to me.  But it's good you got it figured out in the end though, even though it means your now down one lizard :(

Dataman

After the "forced" update to the current Win10 "upgrade" my two ants went walkabout for 15 hours before I noticed they were not doing anything.  :furious: Had to boot DM7 again to get them working. I HATE MICROSOFT!!!!
Other than that ... life is good. Nice Fall weather here.

Dingo

I have the same update pending because my USB network adaptor is not compatible with Windows 10 update.  It is working fine on the Windows 10 that is installed on the PC but the update will not complete till I get another adaptor.  Just another pain in the ass from Microsoft.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dingo

OK Purchased a new USB Network adaptor that had a windows 10 driver that I could download.  The new "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607" then installed after a long time and multiple reboots.

All my Geckos stopped working after the update but remembered that someone said that they need to re install the "WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)" driver and after that they all took off and running again.

Haven't had it installed long enough to notice anything different from the initial Win 10 I installed a long time ago,

Crunch on brother and sisters and remember  :rocks

Radioactive@home graph

JugNut

I dont know if anyone else noticed that a few days back we got a couple of extremely good days credit from BU.  (some 130 mil extra over a period couple of days in my case)
But it seems what Bitcoin giveth one day it taketh away the next :(

EDIT:  Well so far it looks like it may have been just an update glitch today as my credits are now getting close to what they should be.  Yea! maybe we will get to keep the extra after all.

Dataman

I did not notice anything but I am down one gecko and the  :furious: Win10 update killed one array until I noticed the update loaded the old drivers instead of keeping the zidag drivers. It also turned back on many of the tracking BS that I had turned off!! Worse it down loaded a new version of Skype, gave me a NEW Username and logged me into Skype automatically and sent me an email that it did so as a "courtesy to me". Also, now I must log on with my MS Store password BEFORE I can start Windows. I still have not figured out how to turn that off. I am still turning things back off an uninstalling software.
Microsoft should be listed as a TERRORIST COMPANY!!!!  :furious:  :furious:
:thumbdown:

Dingo

Did the same to me and also windows update are set to Auto install, no where to select what you want to install.  I used to not install the Video drivers from Microsoft as they screwed up BOINC a lot of the time.

I also did the update on my laptop but had to revert to the previous version of windows (Still Win 10) as it kept getting the blue screen of death.   I think there is only 30 days time period that you can revert back.

Windows Key+I will get you to "Windows Settings"
Click "Update and security"
Click "Recovery"

From here you can Reset, Go Back or Advanced startup.

Not for the faint of heart as you could get locked out if going back to a previous version and that version had a different login and password and you can't remember.

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Must stick my miners back on. Old computer which had the Gekko fan connected has been turned off now, so have to connect it to the new one. Will need to plug in a molex cable to the PSU so fan extension cable can be attached.

Know what y'all mean about Windows 10 updating things automatically and rebooting which stops BOINC, plus changing things back to default without asking. So annoying and frustrating (shakes fist at Microsoft, haha).

I worked around it partially by using Group Policy to disable automatic updates. You need Pro version to do that. Still not the greatest as then received a notification almost every day that there were updates available which were usually for Windows Defender. They didn't require a reboot however so only a minor annoyance really. And for other updates, at least I got the chance to see what they were and choose when to install them, especially if they required a reboot.

Think you can set your connection as metered to disable auto updates also.

Anniversary Update I installed just before shutting that computer down had some Active Hours thingo which meant it would allow configuration of reboot at a certain time. Perhaps useful for amateur home users but just more annoying useless fluff for professional BOINC users. Automatically updating graphic card drivers for BOINC GPU crunchers is totally unacceptable, no more needs to be said.

That's why I chose to stay on Win 8.1 on Skylake box and install it on recently built dual Xeon. With Classic Shell, it's not too bad. Still preferred Win 7 though.
10 reasons you shouldn't upgrade to Windows 10

I can never be sure with new versions of Windows whether unfamiliarity breeds contempt or whether the older versions really were better. Suppose for BOINC users efficiency is key, so not only was Windows XP Pro x64 the best as it is faster for GPU processing but personally I found it best to use. The original 32-bit XP version used to blue screen too often on my computers but the XP Pro x64 version was stable. Possibly because it was based on Windows Server 2003 kernel so its "guts" was actually quite different to the normal 32-bit Windows XP.

All academic I suppose as you can't really run the older versions safely as they're no longer secure once support has ended. Relief from Microsoft's recent "upgrade über alles" policy will only be temporary for Win 8.1 anyhow as reportedly they plan to soon combine all separate updates into an update batch, so you will no longer be free to pick and choose which separate updates to download and install. If they manage to bugger up GPU crunching repeatedly with driver updates, then a move to Linux will become almost compulsory.

chooka03

I'm in the camp of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'll be staying with Win 7.
It must run in the family as my dad still runs Win XP! :crazy

Dataman

Campaign 10 is ending and no new news. Noticed Henri is still generating CPU and GPU wu's for his own campaign.  :thumbdown:  Campaign 3 is about 90% done. To use an old but guttural US expression; it's time for Henri to $#!+ or get off the pot!

chooka03

Yep I noticed that yesterday too DM.
Does he not understand that there are people out there with powerful tools who WANT to raise money to help people? That's essentially what BU does. I'm a bit surprised bu his lack of action.
I might stick it to him on the BU forum when I have a few minutes. (usually by Friday)

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on October 12, 2016, 05:52:07 AM
Yep I noticed that yesterday too DM.
Does he not understand that there are people out there with powerful tools who WANT to raise money to help people? That's essentially what BU does. I'm a bit surprised bu his lack of action.
I might stick it to him on the BU forum when I have a few minutes. (usually by Friday)
Funny you should say that as I did just that this morning.
http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=1095&postid=11551#11551
I wish he would just shut it down.  :angry: