News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

LOL :rofl:
Oh wow..... that was far worse than what I was going to say!! HAHAHA
Nice. Well done.

I'll play good cop now.  :dance2:
:rocks

Dataman

Ho Hum?

Changes are coming
Some changes I have planned for the near-future:
- I will shut down www.bitcoinutopia.com (this should save us around 60 euros a year).
- Bitcoin Utopia will fund only BOINC projects and sites heavily related to BOINC.
- I should get and set up a certificate to support https protocol.

Henri.

JugNut

What the heck does that even mean?

I mean Henri says he's now only going to fund "BOINC projects and sites heavily related to BOINC."
Err wont that be a little hard when he's going to close down BitcoinUtopia?

This guy creates more questions than he does answers...  ???

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

kashi

Think he means he will shut down the bitcoinutopia.com website. The bitcoinutopia.net website (BOINC) would remain.

I didn't even know there was a bitcoinutopia.com website until today.  ???

JugNut

Yea it's the first i've heard of it too.  ???

My personal stat's

Dataman

I do not know what it means either. Would be good if he sticks to BOINC projects ...  ???  We should know soon as #3 is at 99%.

:buzz

JugNut

Yea I haven't had much luck with the miners I bought.   I'm now down 2 x Antminer U3's & a Gekko. Although the 2 U3's that died were purchased second hand very cheaply so maybe they were near death. I eventually bought a second hand Rockminer r-box 2 and it's considerably more reliable & hash at 110GH (127mil a day).  Hard to find though,  well at a decent price anyway. This one's cheap enough though.. https://www.amazon.com/RockMiner-New-R-Box-2-0-Bitcoin/dp/B00NG10PMS

BU will have to prove it'self this time around before I spend another cent. As DM mentioned we'll soon see which way the wind is blowing.

My personal stat's

Dataman

Well Henri is talking a lot this morning but not actually saying much.  :thumbdown: I am not spending any more money either on BU. I have one dead lizard and two more that are a bit flakey.

This has been a terrible crunching year for me. I started it with 7 of the 8 machines working. Now I only have 3 working. Some need major parts (motherboards, CPU's, GPU's) some just need a power supply. One seems to have a screwed up BIOS. Trouble is I do not want to spend the TIME or money to get the old farm modernized. In round numbers I have spent around a $100K USD on crunching in the last 12 years. I have been watching BOINC with a more critical eye of late. In a dozen years the med projects have not done much of anything (IMO). There is a lack of funding to take even the promising compounds to the next level (wet labs). Math projects have never excited me all that much so I have concentrated on Astronomy/Physics/Cosmology. There seems to be more projects ending than new ones starting up.
For the past 30 days I ran only the miners and my electric bill dropped by over $500 USD as the miners use almost no power. The cost to do CPU/GPU crunching just keeps skyrocketing with the price of electricity here.  :thumbdown:

Not sure what the future holds but I will keep watching.
:bloodshot

JugNut

I hear you DM but there's no great hurry to fix all your rigs all at once is there? Boinc doesn't have to be  all or nothing deal.  Besides your mojo will return & when it does your PC's will be waiting no matter how long it takes.  For 12 years you've believed in boinc it's in your blood to stay.  All i'm saying is no one will think less of you no matter how much or how little you contribute, you know that's true especially in this team. The truth is we will probably never know how much good we have achieved but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and just give up.

Besides what would the team do without it's favourite yank ;)

PS: LOL Besides in the last 4 months your credits have increased well over 30 fold not to shabby for a guy missing a few PC's

My personal stat's

Dingo

We can only crunch what we can, weather it is cost of electricity or upgrades.  I have been down to one laptop at times and at I have had 9 Pc's running at another.  I have stopped having multiple computers at home and now spend the $$ I would spend on electricity on dedicated servers.  I have two dedicated servers that have 4 cores and are hyperthreaded so 8 CPU's.  One I use for my web site and BOINC and the other is a backup and also for BOINC.  I spend about $118 a month for them both which is what I used to spend on power, but there are cheaper and more expensive ones.   I use a company called SoYouStart as they are in Canada, but are a Chinese company I think. https://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/  I do not get anything for this advertisement just passing on the info.  I also have a laptop and a PC in my trailer which is running 100% on BOINC.   Since moving back to Canada and in Arizona I have noticed that the Electricity prices are more that half od the price in Australia.  I am paying between 8.03 Cents and 13.31 Cents per Kwa and when I left Australia it was over 33 Cents per Kwa.

Dataman I have been thinking the same things about the projects but as the founder of the Team I will keep on crunching till I can't afford it or I pass the baton on to someone else.  Everyone needs to make decisions for themselves on how much and even if they crunch.

Till then crunch on Brothers and sisters and remember  :rocks

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on October 25, 2016, 04:04:43 AM
Oh, I am not going to give up crunching. When the cold weather sets in, I will probably start fixing some of them. It is about time more than money. Beside, life would not be as much fun without my mates down under.   biggrin

:cheers:

Dingo

OK finally got Internet connected today so started Bitcoin up again.  Just crunching Milkyway (Campaign #3) as the others don't appeal to me.  Is that what others are crunching ???

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

JugNut

Quote from: Dingo on October 25, 2016, 11:08:33 AM
OK finally got Internet connected today so started Bitcoin up again.  Just crunching Milkyway (Campaign #3) as the others don't appeal to me.  Is that what others are crunching ???

Yep that's what i'm doing as there really isn't anything else to do,  campaign #10 is now closed & that just leaves campaign #3 & #7.  Since campaign #7 is for BU (which is also supposed to be closed) that just leaves campaign #3 Milkyway  :(

My personal stat's

JugNut

Quote from: Dataman on October 25, 2016, 04:48:46 AM
Quote from: JugNut on October 25, 2016, 04:04:43 AM
Oh, I am not going to give up crunching. When the cold weather sets in, I will probably start fixing some of them. It is about time more than money. Beside, life would not be as much fun without my mates down under.   biggrin

:cheers:

Good to hear Dataman  :thumbsup:

My personal stat's

chooka03

I can totally relate to the power bill. We are heading into Summer now so on days where the air con is on, crunching goes off.
I'm looking at putting solar on soon so that will help a little.

I only crunch project #3.

Henri...well what can you say.