News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

Eureka!!! I found the problem. I config'ed this array for 4 r-boxes and ran the 4 USB cables into an old Belkin 4-port hub (not powered). Either the hub is bad or they don't like hubs because when I gave each cable its own USB port, both started working.  :yahoo: It looks like one miner has a burned out status light. I consider that as a benefit as the last thing we need around here is another friggin', blinkin' light!!!  :rofl: The down side is that when both are running the run times increased to 30 min. How can I tell what the hash rate of a device is?
I should get 2 more r-boxes tomorrow. The R4 has not shipped yet and I don't know when I will get it.

:dance2:

Dingo

You will be crunching up a storm.  Do you need a separate Power Supply for the r-boxes ??

I am thinking of getting one what do I need to have to get them to run.  I know I need the four usb to r-box cables but what else?

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

QuoteI consider that as a benefit as the last thing we need around here is another friggin', blinkin' light!!!  ROFL
LOL DM! :rofl:

Yeah I found that if a U1 stopped working in my hub, the Gecko's stopped also. I've now plugged my U1's into USB ports on my PC. They actually need hotplugging more than the Geckos  :thumbdown: Meh.

Dataman

Quote from: Dingo on January 12, 2017, 04:07:30 PM
You will be crunching up a storm.  Do you need a separate Power Supply for the r-boxes ??

I am thinking of getting one what do I need to have to get them to run.  I know I need the four usb to r-box cables but what else?

You don't need a separate PSU if you have a spare PCI-E cable in the PC for the r-box. It is however a lot easier to use a stand-alone PSU, with a bridge on the MoBo plug. You only need one mini-USB cable to your PC for each r-box (110 G/H - 100 W).
R-Box: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=820214

The R4 (500 G/H - 600 Watt) needs 4 PCI-E power cables, 4 mini-USB cables or 4 USB-MCU cables, a PSU > 600W, 4-port USB hub, 1 bridge for the MoBo plug.
R4: http://www.eyeboot.com/how-to-setup-rockminer-r3-r4-bitcoin-miner-using-cgminer.html
Good Luck!

EDIT: On those links, you can skip the cgminer setup. You just need to power/attach them, load the zadig driver, change cc_config to show how many miners are on the PC and BOINC will do the rest. Had my best day ever and the best is still to come. :thumbsup:

chooka03

Well I've decided to stop crunching Seti becuase the Geckos/U1 just can't handle 20GHs WU's very well.
This morning I've woken to find that none of the miners are stuck but 2 of my WU's are ticking over 15hrs.....so obviously they're not going to complete :( Just have to snooze BOINC to reset all the WU's.

Bit of a bummer as I'd rather crunch #5 over #12. Oh well.

Dingo

Quote from: chooka03 on January 13, 2017, 05:51:52 AM
Well I've decided to stop crunching Seti becuase the Geckos/U1 just can't handle 20GHs WU's very well.
This morning I've woken to find that none of the miners are stuck but 2 of my WU's are ticking over 15hrs.....so obviously they're not going to complete :( Just have to snooze BOINC to reset all the WU's.

Bit of a bummer as I'd rather crunch #5 over #12. Oh well.

My Geckos rarely stop unless the PC stops running for some reason, or I see that the blue light is not flashing, or a work unit is over 2 hours.  Then if there is one or two that are not running I just unplug the Gecko from the powered hub and re insert and abort the work unit.  It usually starts up right away with the blue light flashing.  I do not stop BOINC because that stops all four of the Geckos and they restart at zero.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

chooka03

G'day Dingo,
Nice to put a face to the name by the way  :thumbsup:

I hear what you're saying. I've just arrived home from work and again 2WU's have been ticking away for 8hrs 22Min......... none of the lights are stuck on my ASIC miners though. I have a feeling its the U1's that struggle with the WU's, not the Gecko's.
I could test that theory can't can't be bothered at the moment. I'll just discontinue campaign #5 till we get some 1.6GH/s WU's (apparently they are coming soon according to rebirther)

:smilefriday

chooka03

Actually, if I've done the maths right, crunching the 20GH/s tasks is going to be a lot worse for me in terms of credits.

225 sec on average for 30,000 credits with a 1.6GH/s task.
7000 sec on average for 1,200,000 credits with the 20GH/s tasks.

225 x 4 = 900. So that's 900 sec on 1.6 WU's to get 1.3Mil credits.

Did I get that right?

Dingo

I think there is a big difference and doing the  20+GH/s  gives better credit I think.  These are two of your tasks

run time / 3600 = time in hours        credit for wu / time in hours = credit per hour

TASK     RUN TIME   credit for wu    credits per hour  

158055504    7,663.10    1,200,000.00    563,740.5227649385          20+GH/s  task        
158070831    2,122.41     30,000.00         50,885.54991731098           1.6+GH/s task.  

EDIT: Added a quich 1.6 GH task

158072470     171.46       30000.00         629,884.5211711186

So if all the 1.6 GH tasks ran in this short time you would be better off.  Looking at the tasks that have returned they are all over the place some in the 100's and others in the 1000's but if you round them all up I guess they will be about the same ????

Radioactive@home graph

chooka03

Hmmm..... that 2000 sec though isn't an average time for a 1.6GH/s WU though. I think they are closer to 250 sec. (websites down at the moment)
Also again....2 stuck WU's overnight. It seems to happen ALOT which has got to affect the amount of work done.

Having said that, the graph for average work done in BOINC is steadily increasing.

Thanks for crunching those numbers Dingo  :thumbsup:

:oz:

JugNut

Yep Dingo's right there chooka.  To put it another way...

If you divide 30, 000cr into 1,200,000cr .. you get 40.  So the 20GH tasks pay 40 times more than the 1.6GH tasks.  Meaning you'd have to do 40x 1.6GH tasks to equal just 1x 20GH task.

But when you divide 225sec's into 7000sec's you get close enough to 31.  So in 7000sec's you can only do 31x 1.6GH tasks not 40.

End result every time you do 1x 20GH task you basically get 9x 1.6GH tasks worth of credit for free.

Err I hope that made sense. :(

EDIT: LOL  Of coarse if they keep stopping all the time and wasting precious time then all of what I said above is meaningless,  so then my friend as you've already figured out you just gotta do what works ;)

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

JugNut

Quote from: Dataman on January 12, 2017, 08:07:58 AM
Eureka!!! I found the problem. I config'ed this array for 4 r-boxes and ran the 4 USB cables into an old Belkin 4-port hub (not powered). Either the hub is bad or they don't like hubs because when I gave each cable its own USB port, both started working.  :yahoo: It looks like one miner has a burned out status light. I consider that as a benefit as the last thing we need around here is another friggin', blinkin' light!!!  :rofl: The down side is that when both are running the run times increased to 30 min. How can I tell what the hash rate of a device is?
I should get 2 more r-boxes tomorrow. The R4 has not shipped yet and I don't know when I will get it.

Way to go buddy you did well today and gave me a little spanking too..   Mmm and there's still more gear to come? Rocket ship Dataman about to leave orbit LOL  :worship   
On the serious side be careful that your fuses can handle the extra load.

You can find the hash rate by looking in stderr.txt file the slot directory.  Just click on the task you want to check in boinc manager then click on the properties button. The slot directory is listed on the forth line from the bottom of the box that opens.

My personal stat's

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on January 14, 2017, 09:08:58 AM
Quote from: Dataman on January 12, 2017, 08:07:58 AM
Eureka!!! I found the problem. I config'ed this array for 4 r-boxes and ran the 4 USB cables into an old Belkin 4-port hub (not powered). Either the hub is bad or they don't like hubs because when I gave each cable its own USB port, both started working.  :yahoo: It looks like one miner has a burned out status light. I consider that as a benefit as the last thing we need around here is another friggin', blinkin' light!!!  :rofl: The down side is that when both are running the run times increased to 30 min. How can I tell what the hash rate of a device is?

Way to go buddy you did well today and gave me a little spanking too..   Mmm and there's still more gear to come? Rocket ship Dataman about to leave orbit LOL  :worship   
On the serious side be careful that your fuses can handle the extra load.

You can find the hash rate by looking in stderr.txt file the slot directory.  Just click on the task you want to check in boinc manager then click on the properties button. The slot directory is listed on the forth line from the bottom of the box that opens.

Thanks JN! I looked at one and it shows: Directory: slots/6     ??? Don't know what that means.
Yep, I have two more r-boxes that are "vacationing" in Salt Lake City due to heavy snow and 0 visibility over the Sierra's. Been there for two days now. Also have a Rockminer R4 that has not yet shipped.
I am not happy with the performance of the 2 r-boxes. The two ant U3's are outperforming them. The only difference between the two PC's is the rocks are on 2.67 GHz processor and the ants are on a 3.33 GHz machine. Otherwise they are identical.  ???
I have the farm spread over 3 circuits so no problem there. The rocks are not producing much heat and they are more quiet than I thought they would be.
:greet

kashi

Good to hear of your upgrade adventures. :thumbsup:

Directory: slots/6 is found in C:\ProgramData\BOINC\slots 
Record overnight temps here, send snow please. :cheers:

JugNut

@Dataman: Sorry for the late reply I just had family arrive.  Yep as kashi said it's in the boinc/slots folder, just open the file called stderr.txt in notepad. 

Also my R-Box does 110GH which credits about 115 - 130 million a day so it give almost twice the credit as the U3's do.  I find it best to only use one type of miner per box as some of them don't seem to play well together. Are the R-boxes on a box by themselves?(no other U3's ect)

My personal stat's