News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

Yes I noticed when I ran dry.    I'm not sure Blurf's decision makes much sense though? I mean as long as people were still crunching the goal would have eventually been reached.   Maybe he thinks it will just keep going down?  Still it's his call.

Oh well just two campaigns to go and both of those haven't got very long left to run either.

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dingo

Yes I just checked mine and out of work as I was only running 15.   I have ticked the box for the other two and hope for the best.  I didn't make my 10 billion on #15, but maybe there will be more work  :mwalk:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Yes, I agree. He did say in a post at BU that it was scheduled to end on June 1 anyway.
I haven't decided but I may shut down mining on June 1. I would really like to participate in this AA and I cannot do it with the miners running. If there is anything left after the AA I can always restart them. I am scheduled to reach 300 billion on 6/1 so that would be a good stopping point.
But you know me ... new day ... new plan.  :rofl: I can't have it both ways though.  :bloodshot

chooka03

Guess I'll save a bit more money on my power bill when I shut down the U3.
I don't think mining Bitcoins for myself will be worthwhile with 1 x U3 and a couple of Gecko's.

JugNut

Yea for us little guys mining is just an exercise in futility i'm afraid Chooka. Since we ozzies pay the highest power prices in the world bitcoin mining is not an option for most of us, if any of us at all?  At least not the way it is now.  I suppose you could do it as a hobby in the knowledge that you probably never break even, let alone ever turn a profit. 

Soo.. unless there's some word that another project like BU will take it's place,  all my miners will soon be appearing on an ebay near you ;)

PS:  Did you see bitcoin prices have rebounded, I think Blurf may have made a boo boo..
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-price-rebounds-to-near-2640-following-yesterdays-losses/

My personal stat's

chooka03

Can't be long to go now with EVERYONE crunching #5.
It will take some getting used to once I pack up the relatively noisy U3.

JugNut

Well BU has finally ended,  work generation for campaign #5 has stopped.  The WU's you have now & the few left in the hopper should be the last.
http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=1141#12083

Mmm talk about conflicted i'm not sure if i'm happy  :thumbsup: or sad  :thumbdown: that BU has ended?  But it's kinda been like that for the entire ride,  hasn't it?  And a crazy ride it sure was...

My personal stat's

kashi

Yes, know what you mean. It was interesting and fun in parts and frustrating in others. Overall, think I'll be relieved that it's over and soon be able to reboot any time I need to.

When I saw those sticks knew I had to have one: "I shouldn't really, but gadget". Plus the masochistic streak in me was entertained by adjusting that damnable little silver screw so many times and trying to dim the blinking bedroom strobes with marking pen and then teensy pieces of packing tape. And getting a suitable USB hub from Amazon who refused to send me the most recommended 70W Superbpag. The alternative 60W one being not powerful enough to support 5 Gekkos with the resulting burn out of one stick run separately without a fan. The recommended USB fans with a penetrating whine I couldn't stand. The case fan used instead falling over numerous times and razzing my fingers when I picked it up.

But most of that was in the past, although still get a youch! from that fan occasionally. Even the regular dropout of one stick, losing half a days production before an unplug and replug restored connection became routine. The lack of checkpointing combined with the 4 hour runtime although such a minor issue remained surprisingly inconvenient. As the Gekkos and the fan were connected to separate computers couldn't reboot or turn off either box without losing 4 BU tasks in progress. And even though BU credits are totally out of whack with the rest of BOINC, at 2.4 million credits each, still preferred not lose tasks in progress.

Which brings us to the fun part. When I wasn't crunching BU, the credit rate was ridiculous and unfair and even the concept of Bitcoin itself appeared unwholesome in some respects. But once on the inside crunching away then wowee, my daily credit went to town. The tiny sticks yielded oodles each and used very little power compared to a CPU or GPU. The loss of personal ranking that happened when others began scoring big on BU started to be whittled back. The term "roaring up the charts" sprang to mind, haha.

Our big hitters who spent up big on the more hard core mining hardware and power to run it greatly increased the team's daily output.  So the overall BOINC team ranking made an excellent recovery too which is great. From 49th to 14th ain't just whistlin' Dixie, great work. Plus, even if the economics of it were more than a little dubious, those who received the donations from the campaigns were grateful for the support.

However, the interest generated, extra forum posting and sharing of information and experience of those of us crunching BU I probably found the most enjoyable of all.

So crunch on, I've read that Puppy Linux runs in memory and can run from a USB stick so that will be one of my next experiments after the AA.

Think this "big grin" may be big enough, haha.  :BigGrin

Dataman

I am glad it is over! I posted what I felt about it several times before. I never wanted to run it but could not just sit by and watch the team drop in the standing. Now we can get back to a more-or-less level playing field. It will be interesting to see how things sort.

My new EVGA GTX 1080 SC arrives today.  :dance: Dumping the 2 x 570's.

A toast to the end of BU.  :cheers:

Dingo

Sad to see it go and it took a long time to start crunching it.  My numbers now will be back to ridiculously small amounts but that is all I can do.  :rocks

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Hurricane

Impressive looking graphics card Dataman. Should be fast to.
https://valid.x86.fr/f3pegw
AMD Ryzen 7950X3D @ 4193.54 MHz, 1x Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 4080 SUPER.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ 3391.91 MHz, 1x NVIDIA TITAN X PASCAL. (Retired)
Intel Core i7-5960X @ 3498.56 MHz, 1x NVIDIA TITAN X PASCAL. (Retired)
Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4513.26 MHz, 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590. (Retired)
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 4000.47 MHz, 1 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra. (Retired)

kashi

tazzduke

Greetings All

Yeah once it left the GPU and was only ASIC's, the friendship ended lol.

Oh gawd, look out, DM has another GPU to crunch with, and will do way much better than two GTX 570s lol, well the only person that will keep him at bay on the GPU side of things, will be JN, hopefully he gets well enough to get his GPU's up and crunching as well.

I hopefully would like to add another GTX 980 to the mix, and well could really do a bit of damage lol, but I think I will need to be a bit more patient lol.

Happy Crunching
Mark

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

That shiny little thing runs Einstein in 14 - 15 minutes. *giggle*

The 2 570's were packed so full of dust it is no wonder they failed. Can't sell them so off to the boneyard they go. *Taps playing in the background*

EDIT: Two fans ARE better than one. My 1070's run stock at 51C. The new 1080 runs at 48C.  :shock The 970's run at 65-70C. This is at factory clock and I have not fiddled with them yet using EVGA Precision. Here I am off topic again.  :wink

tazzduke

Hey DM

I gather that is running two tasks at a time??

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant