News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Collatz Conjecture vs Bitcoin Utopia

Started by chooka03, April 28, 2016, 06:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

Hi all,

I'm just curious to know how CC compares to BU when it comes to credit points. It seems that both projects give heaps of credit points but I know a lot of people say that BU has really skewed the figures.
Is BU that much different in regards to credit points given?

The run time for GPU tasks (campaign #3) are all over the place but on average I'll say 80sec nets 1800 credits. (I got 80sec by averaging the last 20 tasks)
I don't run CC so know little about it.

Just curious.

:thanks1:

Daniel

Hi Chooka,

I've averaged 10 Collatz results from each of my different GPUs for you to compare ...

GTX650 Ti
Average Runtime per wu : 1001 sec
Average Credit per wu : 4451

GTX760
Average Runtime per wu : 618 sec
Average Credit per wu : 4519

GTX960
Average Runtime per wu : 309 sec
Average Credit per wu : 4611

chooka03

So if I'm correct, 80sec x 4 = 320sec which would net 7200 credits for those WU in Bitcoin.
Your GTX960 after 309sec nets 4611 credits for CC.

Therefore BU does actually give slightly more credits per WU.

Did I get that right?

Not a massive difference then but substantial one shall we say ::)

Thanks Daniel!

Daniel

I think the big difference is that at Bitcoin Utopia people can use ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit) that are designed specifically to mine bitcoins.
These devices are much better at Bitcoin mining than CPUs or GPUs, and can produce huge amounts of credit for their owners.   

chooka03

Ah ok.
I've seen on BOINCstats that you can look up with or without ASIC. I had no idea what that was.
When people talk about their stats, do people generally quote with or without ASIC? I've always looked at "with" ASIC.

Daniel

QuoteWhen people talk about their stats, do people generally quote with or without ASIC? I've always looked at "with" ASIC.
I think with ASIC, but I'm not really sure (I don't have any ASIC devices and I haven't done any crunching for Bitcoin Utopia).