News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

BOINC electricity usage

Started by chooka03, July 13, 2016, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

Just received my plug in power meter which I've used to test how much juice BOINC pulls during projects.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Plug-Power-Energy-Consumption-Watt-Meter-Electricity-Usage-Test-Equipment-/111674842039?hash=item1a0056dbb7:g:Y8wAAOSwRLZT10MF

I have a 1000W Corsair RM series PSU and a ATI ASUS 390 GPU.

With nothing running my PC uses about 115W.

Start BOINC with just my i5 2500K crunching Universe@Home ...so CPU only. (I imagine POGS would be the same) and my usage jumps to approximately 190W (4 core/4 threads)

Fire up BOINC with Milkyway@Home running,Universe@Home and Bitcoin Utopia (So flat out really although I keep my CPU usage set at 98% to allow enough CPU core for Milkyway@Home) and the power usage rockets to 450W  :boom:
That's the ATI 390 card for ya.

As a comparison, my toaster uses over 1000W. That's what I'll be telling my wife anyway!  :jester:

kashi

That's interesting information, thanks chooka. Surprised your CPU uses only 75W more than idle to run all 4 cores. Plus 260W seems about right for the R390 seeing it's rated at 275W.

115W at idle seems high, wonder if the R390 is using more than it should at idle or perhaps you have overclocked and disabled all CPU power saving modes. Though for avid crunchers like us, improvements in CPU idle efficiency are of academic interest only. After all, true crunchers don't wait at traffic lights but zoom flat out like a Saturn rocket.

Low idle power consumption for GPUs is very important though for those of us who are only part time GPU crunchers because of power concerns.

Thanks for the eBay link too, that looks like a Watts Clever type meter, supposed to be more accurate than some others in that price range. I'll get one.

Had a Steplight brand one bookmarked for years but never got around to actually purchasing it. Was GPU crunching full time back then and decided it was better not to know the gory details as it would detract from the fun.

chooka03

Hi Kashi,
Ah yes...there was one fact I forgot to publish...... my PC is overclocked to 4.6Ghz. Thank you for reminding me. Yeah power saving modes...pfft no way Jose! lol.

I've had the GPU off for a while now, just firing it up intermittently. My power bill is due in soon so I'm trying to keep it off and pray for a lower bill than last quarter. I can handle the CPU usagge but that GPU is a killer now that I can physically see the numbers.

chooka03

Oh dear...my wife is on the war path about electricity again  :thumbdown:
With summer approaching I think its almost certain I'll have to AT LEAST cut back on my GPU usage. This ATI card is just too power hungry. Lesson learnt there.

I will have to thank my sister who visited the other day and commented on how high our power bill is compared to theirs. Who needs enimies when you have family eh  :furious: Bashhead

tazzduke

Greetings Chooka,

Yep once summer hits, the GPU's go into hibernating mode, but look out here comes some strange logic.

Do you smoke or drink, stick we on this train of thought, a carton of beer what 50-60 dollars, easy done in a week, a smoker also would spend up to 60 dollars a week + carton is now up to 120 dollars a week. 

Getting the picture, now over the 2 month reporting period 8 weeks @ 120 = 960 dollars that you have saved to pay for power lol.

Now think about, but not to hard or it could go up in a  :boom:

Now myself, don't drink enough to warrant a carton, maybe a 4 pack once in a while lol, don't smoke, but have two daughters in school, so I am on hiding to nothing lol.

Back when cartons were 20 dollars, now that was some fun times lol.

Yeah its some pretty twisted logic, but you never know, one day it might work on the budget controller when the power bill comes in.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

Quote from: tazzduke on November 03, 2016, 10:26:55 PM
Greetings Chooka,

Yep once summer hits, the GPU's go into hibernating mode, but look out here comes some strange logic.

Do you smoke or drink, stick we on this train of thought, a carton of beer what 50-60 dollars, easy done in a week, a smoker also would spend up to 60 dollars a week + carton is now up to 120 dollars a week. 

Getting the picture, now over the 2 month reporting period 8 weeks @ 120 = 960 dollars that you have saved to pay for power lol.

Now think about, but not to hard or it could go up in a  :boom:

Now myself, don't drink enough to warrant a carton, maybe a 4 pack once in a while lol, don't smoke, but have two daughters in school, so I am on hiding to nothing lol.

Back when cartons were 20 dollars, now that was some fun times lol.

Yeah its some pretty twisted logic, but you never know, one day it might work on the budget controller when the power bill comes in.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

:rofl:

tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Mysteron347

Quote from: chooka03 on November 03, 2016, 08:44:42 PM
Oh dear...my wife is on the war path about electricity again  :thumbdown:
With summer approaching I think its almost certain I'll have to AT LEAST cut back on my GPU usage. This ATI card is just too power hungry. Lesson learnt there.

I will have to thank my sister who visited the other day and commented on how high our power bill is compared to theirs. Who needs enimies when you have family eh  :furious: Bashhead

Actually, you need more solar panels to save the 'vironment.

chooka03

LOL...no I don't smoke and rarely drink. I've tried that excuse on her..... doesn't seem to work :thumbdown:

Mysteron - No solar on this place mate :( Considering it though.

Im just going to ration my GPU. 1 week on, one off. :(

tazzduke

Greetings Chooka03

OKay well you got me stumped, maybe look at trading it in for another GPU that is a bit better on the power, unless you game every now and then as well.

I am seriouls going to look at swapping out my GPU's for a couple of 750ti's, which are coming in at 90 - 100 dollars on the 2nd hand market.  Low power usage.

Lets see if Santa Clause is listening.

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on November 08, 2016, 06:01:59 PM
LOL...no I don't smoke and rarely drink. I've tried that excuse on her..... doesn't seem to work :thumbdown:
OK then, start drinking, smoking tobacco and weed and hanging out with women with less than a stellar reputation. Then she will complain about that instead of electricity.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(But if I tried that with Karen she would play the "Anvil Chorus" on my forehead with a cast iron skillet.  :faint: )

Greetings mates. Election Day here. The bad news is one of the two scumbags will win.  :thumbdown: 

:greet

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dataman on November 09, 2016, 01:38:34 AM
Greetings mates. Election Day here. The bad news is one of the two scumbags will win.  :thumbdown: 

I knew there was a reason I liked you!  :USA1

Hey mate, I just found out my favourite Melbourne jorno, RitaPanahi, was born in the US. Then there's half our scientists, they were born there too. I did a survey of small to medium business and found heaps that had moved from the US, including ALL their staff. Then there are the ex-US citizens now Aussie pollies, and - I guess you get the idea.

So I was just thinking, when are you and Karen moving here?  :AUS:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

Quote from: Mike Mitchell on November 09, 2016, 01:19:41 PM
Quote from: Dataman on November 09, 2016, 01:38:34 AM
So I was just thinking, when are you and Karen moving here?  :AUS:
Can you meet us at the airport?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:USA1 :AUS:

JugNut

Hey Dataman you better book your plane tickets ASAP to beat the rush..     
President Donald Trump!!!!!! :faint:  Hang on to your hats folks it could be a bumpy ride...

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on November 09, 2016, 10:10:02 PM
Hey Dataman you better book your plane tickets ASAP to beat the rush..    
President Donald Trump!!!!!! :faint:  Hang on to your hats folks it could be a bumpy ride...
Ha Ha You will not be laughing when he starts bombing Sydney.  :jester:
Since I am poised to lose over a half mil this morning when the markets open, I will be suspending crunching for the foreseeable future.
In the words of Woody Guthrie, "So long, it's been good to know ya."
:furious:

EDIT: US markets are remarkably stable for now. You blokes are not taking it well.  :jester:
http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/australian-dollar-plunges-as-trump-takes-lead-20161109-gslcw6.html