News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Ubuntu drivers for NVIDEA

Started by Dingo, April 24, 2017, 05:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Dataman -  Linux takes a long time to master and I have only scratched the surface in the last couple of years.  Google is your best friend because the errors have usually happened to someone else and how to do stuff is well documented.  Just finding the correctanswer for your version of Linux.  I started using Centos but now use Debian on my three dedicated servers.  Ubuntu is actually Debian with a few changes so answers to either usually work.

After you download the driver file do the following on the command line.  Leave sudo off if you are logging in as root:

If you are running 64 bit Linux then you need the 64 bit drivers from here  http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/375.20/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.20.run        // It is an older driver but 64 bit

1. chmod 777 driver file     / this changes the file so it has read / write and is executable.
2. sudo sh ./driver file    
3  sudo apt-get update
4  sudo apt-get upgrade

I do not have any GPU's on my dedicated servers so I am hoping that the above works.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Thanks. I figured it out. My trouble was I was not exiting the X terminal before running the install. Took a while to figure out what that meant and more time to figure out how to do it. I did finally get the latest driver to install. All I can say is that is a lot of #%^&%$ work to get a self-extracting file to run. I can see I will not be updating Linux drivers very often.  :compbash:
I see there is a way to get the nVidia installer to automatically get updates and install them but it required editing the installer files and I am not that courageous yet.