News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

GPU Application (CUDA)

Started by kashi, July 01, 2017, 02:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

A GPU application was recently released.

Runs on Nvidia cards. Windows only. Have to select "Run test applications" in project preferences to receive tasks.

Tasks take about 9-10 minutes on my GTX 970 and grant 2,205 credits. Some earlier batches of tasks had an error rate of 5-10% on my GPU but the error tasks only run for 4 seconds. Current tasks are OK though with no errors for the last 6 hours.

More information here and here.

JugNut

Nice find kashi that's good to hear,  i'll be giving that a crack in coming days that's for sure. :thumbsup:

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dataman

I gave it a try but get 100% comp errors (Win10/twin EVGA GTX970). CPU wu's work OK.

Cruncher Pete

Quote from: Dataman on July 01, 2017, 11:30:38 PM
I gave it a try but get 100% comp errors (Win10/twin EVGA GTX970). CPU wu's work OK.

If you have not already done so, download vc_redist.x86.exe and x64 2015 version from:

ttps://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=48145

kashi

Yes he says it only works on one card: "At this moment it'll only run on CUDA device #0"

Wasn't sure what to advise people who have 2 or more Nvidia cards so didn't say anything. You'd need an <exclude_gpu> thingy I suppose. Can't test it myself so don't know if the following would work:

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
<exclude_gpu>
<url>www.enigmaathome.net</url>
<device_num>1</device_num>
<type>NVIDIA</type>
</exclude_gpu>
</options>
</cc_config>

I noticed a batch of 18 error tasks in a row happened during the night, so it's possible someone could run into a bad batch when they attached, even with just a single Nvidia GPU.

So yes application is very new and still has a few bugs.  Good luck to anyone having a go. :thumbsup:

Dataman

Quote from: Cruncher Pete on July 02, 2017, 08:17:25 AM
Quote from: Dataman on July 01, 2017, 11:30:38 PM

If you have not already done so, download vc_redist.x86.exe and x64 2015 version from:

ttps://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=48145
Thanks, yes it is on all my window machines. I will give it another try later when the dust settles.

kashi

Hey Jugnut, both the developer and the admin have provided application/tests for your GTX 580s. Details on the Enigma forum. Just in case you hadn't seen it there.

JugNut

Yea thanks kashi,  no I hadn't seen it.  I probably won't get to it till late tomorrow when I get back from some doctors appointments.  Right now it's late & i'm just too tired.

I am having a GPU problem where about once a day I find one of the Nvidias under clocking. It seems to be crunching away fine but in reality is going really slowly. It's really hard to tell with these little xanson WU's sometimes.   But after a lot of checks I eventually found it's only the Nvidia card crunching the xanson WU's that is getting locked at P5 state(about 400mghz).  And there no way to get clocks back up again without a full reboot.
ATM i'm not using any exclusions so maybe that's something to do with it. Luckily even without any exclusions the xanson app stick's to GPU-1 & the enigma app will only run on GPU-0 so it works out well.  Times are slightly slower than expected but otherwise they all working fine,  well mostly anyway.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a newer version of the enigma cuda app on his git hub account but I can't find it?

Anyway time for bed busy day tomorrow,  cheers & thanks again for the heads up...

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

kashi

Hmm, I used to get that downclocking and other funny business when I had multiple ATI cards. Mainly happened when monitor turned off.

Don't suppose you could wake it out of P5 state with Nvidia Inspector somehow. I use it on my 970 to increase P2 state memory speed from reduced 3005 MHz back to full speed 3505 MHz.

There's a forcepstate function in Nvidia Inspector and other commands that gamers sometimes use. Don't know the nitty gritty myself, apparently whether it works or not varies according to driver version and even OS. But anyway maybe you could do a little research and find some Inspector commands you could try out. Good luck.

Doctors appointments, ah hope you don't have to wait too long. I'm sitting in the waiting room every fortnight or so when I take my mum to see the doctor. Her doctor talks to her for about 45 minutes usually. Suppose it gives my brother time to go next door and buy a paper, he's slower than a tortoise since he got polymyalgia rheumatica. 

kashi

For anyone who's trying this for the first time, I just had 87 tasks in a row that errored. That's the most I've ever had in one batch. So if you attach and then get only error tasks that all finish in 2-5 seconds it may mean you've hit a bad batch. If you're still interested after that poor start then you could have another go after 2 or 3 hours and you may have more success.

I've got 27 Enigma tasks left in my cache, after I've completed those I'm heading back to GPUGrid.

Dataman

This project has been retired.

chooka03

Geez.... I think this is the 3rd post in a row about project retirement!  :thumbdown: