News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

2017 BOINC Workshop

Started by chooka03, August 27, 2017, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

For what it's worth, I've emailed these guys in the hope they raise my concerns about GRIDCOIN.
Probably won't but at least I didn't just whinge about it without action  :thumbsup:
Not one of my greatest emails but I've got to head out for the Mayweather/McGregor fight  :jester:

"My name is Andrew and I've been a BOINC participate for a number of years. I am a part of team BOINC@AUSTRALIA.

Unfortunately due to the distance of this workshop I am unable to attend but I'd like to raise a topic for discussion please. In a word.... GRIDCOIN.

I consider Gridcoin to be an anomaly which needs to be dealt with. The offer financial incentives and "pools" of PC's which is distorting the statistics of individual contributors.

Much like the way BOINCSTATS separates "ASIC" results from "NON ASIC" results, I think something similar should be considered for Gridcoin.

Sports,financial markets etc are usually put into different categories or divisions. Gridcoin is like a Heavyweight boxer versus a lightweight when it comes to competitiveness. It isn't a level playing field for BOINC contributors who are not using PC pools OR being provided a financial incentives.

GRIDCOIN makes huge contributions to BOINC results but it should be separated from the statistics. I feel that GRIDCOIN could undermine the competitive aspect of BOINCSTATS and erode people's desire to climb the ladder stats if they can't compete against the GRIDCOIN juggernaut.

Thank you for considering my topic of conversation at the upcoming workshop. If this is not the correct email to have my thoughts considers, can you please advise who I best send it too."

GRIDCOIN are just going to wipe everyone out on the leaderboards eventually. I don't know about you guys but I enjoy the stats. I don't enjoy a 0% chance of beating GRIDCOIN at ANYTHING.
Anyway, I emailed it here. Happy to spam it out to better recipients if I hear of them.
boinc-workshop-committee@cern.ch

Oh I also emailed David Anderson who will be there. I see there are 2 brothers? from Gridcoin going to the conference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_P._Anderson

zsalter

Yea I agree Chooka.
Maybe we will be lucky and GridCoins whole team dynamic will be assessed, and ,as you said, removed from the leaderboards!
Make sure you keep us updated if there are any replies!
Interested in hearing more about this!

Keep Crunching!
Zach

Neil G

I'm in complete  agreement Chooka.  I lost my two main computers over a year ago and after seeing GRIDCOIN apparently taking over the stats I lost interest in spending more $$ in an effort to keep up with it/them.  It's an anomaly for sure, and disruptive to us who quietly (or not so quietly), competed within BOINC in a  friendly spirit of competition within B@A and amongst the other teams. 

Neil

Dataman

Spot on Chooka! +1
BOINC will not do anything about it. They are only interested in the software and science apps. They are completely uninterested in credits, teams or stat's. They key is the stat's collectors. If they would all stop reporting such things as the old BU and Gridcoin, the problem would go away immediately. I sent a similar email to BOINCStats about 6-9 months ago. I received no reply.
:cheers:

Dingo

If all the users that use Boincstats BAM were in a single team it would be the same as Gridcoin.  Gridcoin pools are "Account Managers" where you manipulate what where and when you use projects instead of through the Boinc Manager.  You can still use Boinc Manager but to add / stop / delete projects you need to go to the Gridcoin web site.

As it is an Account Manager how can it be a Team ???   https://www.gridcoin.us   

BAM is not a Team it is an Account Manager which is the correct way it should be.  https://boincstats.com/en/bam/
Grid Republic is an Account Manager but not a Team  http://www.gridrepublic.org/

I agree 100% that seeing Gridcoin topping all the stats in all the projects is putting a lot of people off, well me anyway.    :fingers  they will realise that it is not a Team. 

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

WOW...well I got a reply from a Laurence. This was his reply -

"Thanks for your input. There will be a few people from GridCoin there so we can hopefully discuss this further."

I replied with some of your commentary Dataman & Dingo regarding account management etc. Lets hope they do discuss it.
I doubt the guys from Gridcoin will care. :thumbdown: