News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, September 16, 2017, 04:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

This is another Russian project that has long running tasks between 6 and 70 hours and is very low on credit.  I have attached to do some work to give it a try but won't do much till they optimise their application a bit to reduce the length and they start giving better credit. 

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Now has badges. They are forest animals of Karelia region where project server is located. 2 badges so far, more soon.

Hedgehog 5,000 credit

Squirrel 25,000 credit

kashi

Project contributor Daniel has for some time been working to optimize the RakeSearch application. He's now released these optimized apps for download.

I'm always keen on the idea of greater efficiency with optimized apps so decided to give them a go. Am using the Windows AVX version on my SandyBridge based computer and Windows AVX2 version on Skylake box. They are about 5-10 times faster than the current default application.

Instructions for downloading and installing are found in forum post here: http://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch/forum_thread.php?id=39

Daniel

Thanks for the info Kashi.  :thumbsup:

Dingo

There is a newer version 1.1 of the Optimised apps HERE

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dingo

Optimised Application

There is no need for the Optimised application from 01 Jun 2019 onward.  They have optimised the new Rakesearch application and also started on the Rank 10 tasks.  You will need to delete your app_config.xml file from the projects/rake.boincfast.ru_rakesearch folder to get the nw tasks.

You will need to either abort or run the tasks to completion if you are running the optimised app.   Then delete the app_info.xml file because the new application reads a different checkpoint file and the one for the optimised app in not compatable.

Remeber to go to your preferences on the Project web site and un tick the old version so you don't get the old apps that run two or three times as long.

Radioactive@home graph

Daniel

Thanks Dingo, I just downloaded some of the new Rank 10 tasks.
I'll see how they go.

Dingo

There is a new Optimised application for Version 10 of the Rakesearch application.

The optimised apps can be found here  https://github.com/sirzooro/RakeSearch/releases/tag/RakeSearch10.v1.0

I had problems trying to get the application to download to Linux using wget as it only downloaded a part of the file.  I ended up downloading the file to my Windows machine and using the PSCP software to upload to the Linux rakeshift directory.  I have put the process I used below, but it is not refined.

ON THE LINUX MACHINE

cd /usr/bin/projects/rake.boincfast.ru_rakesearch

Stop BOINC however you do it. I use /etc/init.d/boinc-client stop
[quote]
/etc/init.d/boinc-client start
- start BOINC client, running as a system daemon
/etc/init.d/boinc-client stop
- stop the BOINC daemon
/etc/init.d/boinc-client restart
- stop and start the BOINC daemon
/etc/init.d/boinc-client status[/quote]

Need to wait for all the boinc apps to stop may need to do the stop command a few times especially if you are running MultiBoinc.

ctrl L boinc
"q" gets you out of top
when boinc no longer shows up on the list

Find out if you have AVX etc  --  grep avx /proc/cpuinfo   or if avx does not show up use grep sse /proc/cpuinfo

ON WINDOWS MACHINE

[url=https://github.com/sirzooro/RakeSearch/releases/tag/RakeSearch10.v1.0]Download the file[/url] that suits your Linux version to your windows desktop

open a Command Window -- cmd
cd Desktop

If you do not have PSCP then you can get it by [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html]downloading "Putty" [/url] once putty is installed then look in "C:\Program Files\PuTTY\" and you will see pscp.exe.  Copy it to your desktop

Upload to the linux machine

pscp "File Downloaded" root@IP ADDRESS OF LINUX MACHINE:/usr/bin/projects/rake.boincfast.ru_rakesearch/

ON LINUX MACHINE

tar -xvzf "/usr/bin/projects/rake.boincfast.ru_rakesearch/FILE DOWNLOADED
ls -l   -- there should be two new files one of which is an app_info.xml

rm rakesearch10_linux64_avx2_v10.tgz

Start BOINC however you do it

If you have multiBOINC setup you need to restart the boinc apps.

UPDATE:  The new optimised app is much quicker than the old one.  The old app ran from 10000 to 16000 sec and the new app runs at about 2500 t0 6000 sec for the first seven tasks that are validated.  I have 83 pending tasks that are alos in the same range as the valid tasks.

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

It's back

Rake search of diagonal Latin squares: New experiment in RakeSearch
Dear all,

We are excited to announce the return of RakeSearch!

Long-term collaboration with our colleagues from other Russian cities and the vast space of unsolved combinatorial problems have given us new challenges to be solved. The first challenge is to beat the current record on the number of transversals for DLSs of order 12. We already have tasks for the next 2 months, and there will be more.

Technically, we have moved the project to the new hardware server and updated the BOINC server software. We hope that this new setting will bring you a good experience!

With best wishes,
Natalia and hoarfrost

Radioactive@home graph

shift

doh, windows only. I'll stop waiting for tasks!

chooka03

Each to their own here but I'd like to see a boycott of this project as it's based in Russia.
Up to you guys if you wish to do that or not.

I'd prefer to see everything Russian related to be boycotted.

Mike Mitchell

I was thinking something along the same lines Chooka.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Cruncher Pete

That is easy for me to follow.  I don't crunch any Russian based project because Natasha's arrogant attitude and she is involved with all of them.  I have first hand information on the type of government that Putin wishes to impose on other countries (apart from the war crimes he is committing in Ukrain). I left Hungary a so called liberated country by the Russians at the age of 14 unaccompanied.  I have seen a Russian Tank stationed in the suburb where I lived shooting down people lining up for their ration of bread.  I joined the Australian Army at the age of 18 hoping that one day they will pay the price of their doing.  My Brother in Law who is now in the U.S.A can attest to that shooting for he was one that they shot at that Bakery.  He could not walk properly all his life.  Now he is in a wheelchair because of his age as well.

chooka03

Wow Pete.... that's terrible!!
Some might argue that science should be left out of any protests but I think everything should be cut off from Russia until Putin is gone. Even then, I personally won't join any Russian backed projects. Rakesearch is the only one I'm aware of?

Thank you for sharing your story!

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: chooka03 on March 25, 2022, 06:02:35 AM
Wow Pete.... that's terrible!!
Some might argue that science should be left out of any protests but I think everything should be cut off from Russia until Putin is gone. Even then, I personally won't join any Russian backed projects. Rakesearch is the only one I'm aware of?

Thank you for sharing your story!

I'll second that.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti