News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

New project - Acoustics@home

Started by kashi, April 02, 2017, 02:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Acoustics@home is a BOINC-based volunteer computing project aimed at solving inverse problems in underwater acoustics.

Project URL --> http://www.acousticsathome.ru/boinc/

Windows applications and Linux 64 application are available.

Dataman

Thanks for the heads up kashi. You be 'da man.
I joined the project and team and will try a few.
:wavey2:

Dingo

My user account and the Team account were created automatically by the BOINC wide Teams script.   It does not transfer the password so I always need to get an email from the project to reset my password before I can log in

This project email does not arrive and I cannot put a message on the message board to tell them.

Could someone please put a message on the "Message board" under "Number Crunching" to advise that I Dingo am not receiving the email when I reset my password from this page.  http://www.acousticsathome.ru/boinc/get_passwd.php  and could they check that their system sends emails to hotmail. 

Thanks

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dingo

This project might be a Russian Government Institution.  I googled the name on the bottom of their web pages "Matrosov Institute for System Dynamics and Control Theory of SB RAS" and after a while found this statement

QuoteRussian Academy of Sciences (RAS) is the State Academy of Sciences, the organization of science, carrying out scientific management of scientific research in the Russian Federation, and conducting scientific research, a legal entity - non-profit organization, established in the form of federal state budgetary institution. On the territory of the Russian Federation, Russian Academy of Sciences is a legal successor of the USSR Academy of Sciences. The Academy is the successor of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences and the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences.

Not sure if I want to help the Russians in there Acoustics of the China Sea ???

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dataman

Good find Dingo. Yep, I am also a bit leary of projects from Russia.
I set mine to not get new tasks. They run well at about 25 minutes with ~30 credits/hr.
I think I will pass on this one.  :thumbdown:

chooka03

My family history is Ukrainian..... so needless to say I won't be doing anything to assist Russia.
My father would disown me to start with.

kashi

Hmm, hadn't thought about the aims of project in those terms. Since found some published material indicating some previous acoustics research was related to developing underwater robots for oceanographic purposes, but yes, suppose military and mining use of these robots is also likely.

We know that science sometimes speaks with forked tongue. The same areas of research can be used either for humanitarian purposes or for espionage, warmongering and racketeering. The rockets designed to flatten London were the forerunners of rockets enabling man to travel to the moon and have orbiting space stations. Yet NASA research and development is also used to deploy espionage satellites and help develop orbiting laser weapons.

There were quite a few large national teams including SETI.USA that joined the project before the global import of teams. They are not concerned at the potential for military use of the research?

When choosing whether or not to support KIVA projects in some Middle Eastern countries, it was suggested that sometimes loans to these areas get diverted to fund terrorism. However I decided to support needy causes in all countries regardless of their politics or religion and trust that KIVA had responsibly researched their Field Partners.

I try to take the same attitude with BOINC projects and don't discriminate on the basis of nationality, ethnicity or religion.

Have been contributing to Gerasim@home and have read their forum. Some of their scientists and Russian crunchers are extremely disappointed with the US for recently cutting science grants to Russian research. No, not Trump, but Obama. They view the politicising of science funding/support as unfair. It's also unwholesome because once done to particular countries, then can also be done in the home country. For example, it can end up with funding for any climate related research being reduced or withdrawn to support the vested interests of those who profit from coal. We have already seen this happen in Australia with CSIRO funding.

Some Russian contributors to Gerasim are keenly patriotic and hold strong beliefs. Their mistrust and even dislike of the "west" (mainly the USA) is obviously deeply ingrained. Not my area of knowledge, but perhaps it may not be undeserved, historically speaking. Thought by contributing a little to some of the few Russian projects it would help demonstrate that we were not all Russia haters but shared an interest in scientific research that transcended political beliefs. Similarly feel that harshly judging all Americans by their election of Donald Trump and the actions of his Government would be most unfair.

I do understand those who have been damaged by war having strong beliefs. My uncle refused to buy a Japanese car for over 40 years after witnessing wartime atrocities. A Jewish friend's father had a glass domed Anniversary clock on his mantelpiece which he never wound again after he discovered it was made in Germany. Yep, although he never showed them, he had the tatts on his arm, the poor soul.

Control of the South China Sea is certainly a hot potato issue at the moment, Australian Governments prefer to tread lightly with China due to our economic reliance on Chinese trade and Chinese investors propping up Australian housing "bubble". Due to doubts raised about potential use of this research will refrain from joining Acoustics@home for now, although I'll continue to contribute to Russian projects Gerasim and Amicable Numbers now and again.

Have not joined Acoustics so cannot post any question about your missing email Dingo, perhaps with Google translate or Chrome you could register and post your question on the BOINC.RU forum where there is an Acoustics@home section. Some recent posts there deal with the administrator's difficulty with properly configuring the mail system for password recovery so it appears he is already aware of the problem.

http://forum.boinc.ru/default.aspx?g=posts&m=87191#post87191

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.boinc.ru%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fg%3Dposts%26m%3D87191%23post87191&edit-text=&act=url

Dingo

I emailed Oleg Zaikin the Project coordinator, Server software developer and CPU application developer and he enabled the email function of the server so I have changed my password.  I have also attached to my Windows 10 PC so my    BOINC Cross Project Identifier will be the same for all projects.  I have downloaded a few tasks so I will do those then stop.

In the process I did some googling of Oleg Zaikin and lots of entries returned.  Looks like he has been producing papers on arithmetic / algorithm stuff and Distributed type computing since 2000.    http://dblp.uni-trier.de/pers/hd/z/Zaikin:Oleg

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Glad you got your password fixed. :thumbsup:

Okey Dokey, I'll follow your lead and do some too.

Possibly not much, because after the PRPNet Challenge I "rediscovered" PrimeGrid and decided to add to and upgrade my badges. Last badge I obtained there was back in 2014 so it's been a while. For those interested in discovering primes, the LLR application was updated a few weeks ago and now allows use of app_config to enable multithreading. This speeds up task processing, so would possibly improve your chances of being first to discover a prime.

Also just started doing a little Sourcefinder Duchamp now that stats are being exported. Credit is poor (likely CreditNew horror) and tasks limited to 8 per box which is low for a 32 "core" computer, but it's Aussie, so what the heck. Those pesky irritations will hopefully be removed later as the project progresses from beta towards production status.

Dataman

Hummm, my stats do not seem to be exported to BOINCStats.

kashi

You're the only team member with credit exported to stats sites so far.

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/175/team/detail/47

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/175/user/detail/1305

Unless you're talking about work you did for Sourcefinder Duchamp before the database crash. Everything was lost from that early time, you need to recreate your account there and reattach if you wish to crunch there again. Very many were having VirtualBox troubles back then and tasks were not available, so the team and I were high up the rankings then with the small number of tasks I had validated. Rather offputting, so I hadn't reattached until tonight.

http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/forum_thread.php?id=779

http://54.196.169.236/duchamp/forum_thread.php?id=1

Dataman

Yep, just posted moments before the daily update.