News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Windows 10 Update

Started by Dataman, May 18, 2018, 12:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

Well gents the blotted pig just got fatter. The Spring Win 10 update is out with even more useless features. The upgrade takes about an hour depending on your machine and download speed.
WARNING
The update will load Windows GPU drivers (no OpenCL) so if you have nVidia GPU's you WILL have to reload your drivers to get them to work in BOINC. You might want to force the update before the AA to avoid down time.
:rocks
Addendum: There is a new EULA (Summary: Everything you think, say, see, smell, taste, hear and touch belongs to MS and there is nothing you can do so STFU!  :rofl:). If you turned OFF any reporting to MS or removed any useless MS apps, you might want check to see if they have been turned on or magically reinstalled. FU MS!!!
:panic:

JugNut

:rofl: LOL Well said DM,  take that M$  :rofl:

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Kieran Grant

I wonder if Cortana will return on my computer... I force deleted the system app when booted from another OS... (No more accidentally opening Edge to search for a program I was trying to open... but no more search in start menu either  Bashhead)
I hope that doesn't break my upgrade  :faint: oh well.... I really should have renamed the folder... not force deleted it... I was pretty angry at the time. (cannot be deleted from within Windows itself...)

Sean

Ergh, looks like I'll be using Windows 7 for awhile yet, really shows they've lost the plot if they are loading new graphics drivers without the permission of the user...   :thumbdown:

I setup a second PC for the Pentathlon, but that one has Xubuntu of course, none of that Microsoft rubbish.  :jester:

Dataman

Quote from: Sean on May 18, 2018, 08:46:15 PM
Ergh, looks like I'll be using Windows 7 for awhile yet,
You should be good for awhile. MS will end support for Win 7 sometime in 2020.  :cheers:

kashi

Windows 10 sounds like a constant battle between Microsoft trying to reinvent itself with the help of massive amounts of personal data like Google and Facebook and its customers trying to stay sane without every fart being documented and recorded. Hope you can counteract the strain with a regular hearty "Up yours, Microsoft!" and the occasional glass of healing ale.

Still on Windows 8.1 Pro on both of my computers. Had Windows 10 Pro on an old box but when it rudely updated my video drivers to BOINC incompatible ones without asking and also had the hide to reboot as well in the middle of the night, I found it annoying. Changed it to a "corporate" update pattern to disable auto updates and take back some control but then became so bogged down with the seemingly endless minutiae of disabling all the hidden spying "features" that decided it wasn't worth upgrading my new box from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

So bought a very cheap copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and installed that instead. Wasn't keen on Windows 8.1 Pro at first either, but with an installation of Classic Shell and more familiarity, it's quite serviceable. So when I got a second computer, installed 8.1 Pro on that too.

I'm sure that certain updates means that Windows 8.1 now phones home regularly too like Windows 10, but perhaps not quite as intrusively. Never bothered to disable anything in that regard. Preferred just to crunch and not worry my pretty little head with too much of that stuff. Yes, yes, I know I'll regret it when they come for me.

Actually preferred Windows XP Professional x64 the best of the Windows bunch. Had the ease of use of ordinary 32-bit Windows XP GUI, but ran on the Windows Server 2003 kernel so was more stable plus could handle more than 4GB of RAM. Vaguely remember that GPU crunching was a little faster on Windows XP too than later Windows versions due to direct and thus more efficient control of hardware.

Really should run native Linux on both boxes and Windows in a VM when necessary, instead of the other way around like I do now. But when I used to dual boot Windows and Linux, repeatedly had so much trouble installing or updating BOINC GPU crunching compatible video drivers in Linux that it's discouraged me from ever trying it. If you're even a trifle Linuxaphobic, then being stuck at the command line due to graphics drivers incompatibilities and being unable to configure startx to get you to a GUI is up there amongst the worst Linux nightmares (the horror, the horror).

Dataman

Greetings mates
Bend over you are about to receive Windows 10 1809. This IS a "Feature" update which means it takes a LOT longer to down load, longer to install and adds even more bloat! All this without adding any useful features.

WARNING
The update will load Windows GPU drivers (no OpenCL) so if you have nVidia GPU's you WILL have to reload your drivers to get them to work in BOINC. You might want to force the update at a time of your choosing to avoid down time.

This has taken me all morning to fix and of course dozens of GPU jobs have failed. A wasted crunching day.

Dataman

A Windows Cumulative Update is coming your way which probably fixes the last Feature Update.  :jester: Good news as this one does not reload worthless MS GPU drivers.

:jester: Enjoy The Experience  :jester:

:greet

chooka03

chooka03

FWIW - This update DID reset my AMD setting to Xfire - ON in the global setting.
I had to turn it off again. Bashhead

Dataman

O' be joyful! Another Win10 Cumulative update is speeding your way. This one is quick and painless but does require a restart.  :panic:

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dataman on February 15, 2019, 05:01:01 AM
O' be joyful! Another Win10 Cumulative update is speeding your way. This one is quick and painless but does require a restart.  :panic:

Ah, that will be why mine rebooted overnight.  :compbash:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

chooka03

Dataman

A new Windows 10 "Feature" update (1903) is headed your way. I do not yet know how much new "bloatware" this one adds as I just started downloading it on one machine. As always with Feature updates, it is wise to check that your GPU drivers were not replaced with the MS version.

Heads up ...  :compbash:

EDIT: I did not have to re-install GPU drivers. Nothing new and exciting. You can now change the color of your pointer ... whoopee ( :jester: )

chooka03

:holy-moly  That update takes forever to download and install!
I've only done 1 PC. I think I'll wait till after the challenge to do the rest.  :faint: