News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, May 31, 2018, 04:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Thank you both for the replies. Firstly JugNut for letting me know it wasn't just my card acting up ornery and secondly chooka for the explanation.

Hmm, well this "good thing" is about as welcome as stepping in dog poo. "Take a bit of load off the server" No thanks, I'd prefer to push the server to its limits with tiny tasks and gigantor credit for me, ha.

:boom:

JugNut

Quote from: kashi on June 03, 2018, 10:18:02 AM
Thank you both for the replies. Firstly JugNut for letting me know it wasn't just my card acting up ornery and secondly chooka for the explanation.

Hmm, well this "good thing" is about as welcome as stepping in dog poo. "Take a bit of load off the server" No thanks, I'd prefer to push the server to its limits with tiny tasks and gigantor credit for me, ha.

:boom:

LOL Spot on kashi,  I couldn't agree more...

Actually I don't think anyone would have cared as long as they increased credit in line with the extra runtime, that way they still get the benefit of less server load and we don't lose out because of it.

EDIT: Another problem i'm having is invalids,  i'm getting a lot of them.  While getting invalids is a normal part of doing Einstein i'm getting way more than usual. Since restarting Einstein only 4 or 5 days ago i've already got 49  across all my boxes. If you work that out over the year that's a shed load of wasted time & power with no benefit to anyone.  I'll see if there's anything more that can be done after the AA.

EDIT 2: Now 52 invalids & rising :(

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

kashi

That's strange, I haven't had a single invalid yet in 144 tasks completed. Yet you've had them on 4 different kinds of cards with 4 different driver versions. And one of them is the same as my 382.53.

So what is it? A bad batch that I evaded by starting late? Windows 7 for you on all boxes whereas Windows 8.1 for me? Perhaps you're running multiple concurrent tasks, that sometimes causes trouble. Different number of CPU cores left free to support GPU crunching? I'm leaving 2 cores free out of 8 to support a single Einstein GPU task. It's all very mysterious.

Hope I haven't mozzed myself and I start getting invalids too. :pcwhack:

Sean

I've only had one invalid (out of 157). Im on windows 7, running two concurrent tasks on a 1050ti with two dedicated CPU cores.

Took me ages to find the link for Tasks on the Einstein@home page, its just below the list for computers in the account tab.  :jester:

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on June 03, 2018, 02:02:56 PM

EDIT: Another problem i'm having is invalids,  i'm getting a lot of them.  While getting invalids is a normal part of doing Einstein i'm getting way more than usual. Since restarting Einstein only 4 or 5 days ago i've already got 49  across all my boxes. If you work that out over the year that's a shed load of wasted time & power with no benefit to anyone.  I'll see if there's anything more that can be done after the AA.

EDIT 2: Now 52 invalids & rising :(
Yes, invalids have always been a problem at E@H but they seem to be increasing. I have 55 out of 5K tasks.  :thumbdown:

zzrhardy

I have 20 work units during the AA period marked as either "validate error" or "completed, marked as invalid" and another 68 from the ramp up period. Titan Vs seems to have a worse ratio than Vega 64 LCs.

Chibineko (Titan V): 1753WU valid and 51 invalid
Kuroneko (Vega64): 2589WU valid and 37 invalid

Current builds: Kuroneko and Chibineko

Dingo

I only have one GPU (1080 Ti) in my PC at home and I am running two tasks at a time.  I have 946 completed and validated, 15 Completed but marked as invalid and only 3 Error while computing.  I can't complain about that.  I did update my Nvidio driver to the latest (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (4095MB) driver: 397.93) before the AA and I have Windows 10 updated to the latest release.

I tried to use my daughters PC which has an ATI 5870 I think and 2 out of three have had errors.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Quote from: Sean on June 03, 2018, 10:33:32 PM
....Took me ages to find the link for Tasks on the Einstein@home page, its just below the list for computers in the account tab.  :jester:

Yes, that's the better way to look at your tasks. Clicking the "Your results" box link in BOINC Manager takes you to a Tasks page that is so lacking in information as to be basically useless. What were they thinking when they designed that, it's totally ludicrous.

At least the one accessed via the Account>Dashboard shows the number of tasks in each category. It would be annoyingly short on detail though for anyone that crunched more than one application.

The horrid reduction in available crunching information on the eviscerated Einstein website is one of the reasons why I don't crunch it ever now except for AAs or if someone had called a "mini aa". For comparative hardware performance details used by anyone enthusiastic about maximising their contribution it's almost as execrable as WCG now and hasn't even got badges to compensate. 

JugNut

Agreed Einsteins website redo was/is a disaster. It's only a improvement for mobile phone users.

Back to invalid situation, it's certain that the more WU's you run in parallel  the more invalids you'll get.  I've also noted that the more video cards you use per box can also affect the amount of invalids you get.(On top of what the extra cards would produce on their own)
But up till now the trade offs were well worth it. Up until now it has always been more efficient to run the extra WU's anyway as even with the slightly higher amount of invalids you still came out well ahead of running just one at a time.  But it's now very close to the point where thats is no longer true.  What's changed? Who knows?  Whatevers changed I seem unable to fix.  It would help if I knew what the problem was but with invalids there's no error number to guide your way, it just trial & error(no pun intended).   I'm sure I could reduce the amount of invalids by going back to running one at a time, but as things stand now it would still slash my over all output/credit but if this problem persists i'll soon have no other choice.

I done the usual things one does in these situations such as lower memory clocks, then core clocks,  add/remove voltage ect ect but unsurprisingly it didn't work.  I say unsurprisingly because it's happening on all my boxes so it would be some coincidence if all my cards started failing all at once,  but I guess anything's possible.   

What do you guys think? After all in the last 5 days I completed 4,300+ WU's,  of that 1059 are pending with 53 invalid.  Although at this rate it looks like my invalids will reach triple figures by the end of the AA. Overall my invalids have increased by 75% from the last time I crunched Einstein which was just under two months ago.

Any more thoughts on the subject would be kindly appreciated.

Crunch-on  :crazy

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dataman

Ditto here. I am annoyed with my performance. With 13 cards running I thought I could do ~4+ million/day ... I am not even close. I have not been able to OC the cards at Einstein for a long time but now it seems worse. I have ~ a 1% invalid rate.

Ditto as well on their page layout. One needs a friggin' map to find the simplest things.  :thumbdown:

And for my final whine of the day, the heat is back! Send us more clouds please.  :rofl:

:cry

kashi

Yes invalids are annoying and much more so on power hungry GPUs. Remember one of the previous beta applications started giving me invalids or errors once which was frustrating because the standard application was stable but had a poorer credit rate. Folding had a big problem with invalids on Maxwell class GPUs which stopped me crunching there completely.

Website layout is an initial annoyance but mostly overcome with familiarity. It's the loss of functionality that is deplorable. I mean the main reason to go to a project's website is to see your tasks/statistics and compare performance of your hardware to others. But the Top Computers list only shows the first 50 hosts making it useless for anyone that doesn't have one of the highest performing cards. Is it worth firing up my old 7790 box or whacking a 5870 in the dual box for the AA? I'll just look it up and see. Aarrgh, no I won't, the essential info is missing. Oh well, better just give it a miss then, they're probably poor Einstein performers anyway.

Wonder if all the projects will remove hosts info due to that EU privacy thing? That would be almost enough to put the kybosh on BOINC for me. Think I'm already stuffed at WCG because their new terms require a current email address which they won't get from me. If I change my old BOINC email my CPID will become split, totally rooting my stats.

Ahh, that's better, now that my whinge is clarified and expanded, how is your pending going? Mine's currently at 42% of completed tasks which is not too bad for Einstein I suppose as traditionally it's a very high pending rate project. Wondered why my first full day's crunching yielded much less than I expected/calculated, because I'd forgotten about Einstein's pending.

On a positive note, I'm quite enjoying the extra warmth from GPU crunching now the nights are cooler. Very cosy in my bedroom now and only a small increase in noise.

Dataman

Quote from: kashi on June 04, 2018, 12:16:19 PM

Wonder if all the projects will remove hosts info due to that EU privacy thing? That would be almost enough to put the kybosh on BOINC for me. Think I'm already stuffed at WCG because their new terms require a current email address which they won't get from me. If I change my old BOINC email my CPID will become split, totally rooting my stats.

On a positive note, I'm quite enjoying the extra warmth from GPU crunching now the nights are cooler. Very cosy in my bedroom now and only a small increase in noise.
I blacklisted WCG today. Until now it only contained Russian projects. I also went in my profile there and checked "Hide my info" and my info disappeared from the forum. I am done there.

Kashi, I will trade my extra warmth for your cool! I will pay for the shipping.  :rofl: Was 36C here today. GPU temps are reasonable (~56C) but CPU temps on some of mine are above 80C. I hope I do not have to shut down cores to get the temps down.  :thumbdown: It is late evening here so no worries until tomorrow afternoon. Crunch onward ...

:greet

tazzduke

Greetings All

Think we need to take a back step and have a good a proper look at what this is all about.

As per the following link from Einstein, its all about anonymous access to their stats.

https://einsteinathome.org/content/upcoming-changes-due-european-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr

Also from Willy over at Boincstats via this link https://boincstats.com/en/forum/5/11967,1

There is some legal stuff to take care of which takes some time. After that BOINCstats will be able to update WCG stats again. Until that's done, no updates.

So all in all this really affects the owners of the stat sites more than us - Legal mumbo jumbo.

To tell you the truth, it will not stop me from crunching.

They only thing that will stop me from crunching is when the power goes out lol.

Cheers  :holy-moly :niceday :golf :panic: :rocks

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

LOL.
I just noticed that I've moved into 4th highest average Einstein credits. My 2 X V56's have overtaken Armin Burkhardt speaking for MPI/FKF's 4 x GTX1080's.     :BigGrin

https://einsteinathome.org/community/stats

Dingo

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA